Combat Mission Cold War & the future of the Game Series

Greetings
I wanted to let everyone know that we at Developer Dialogue released a new episode where we sat down with the founder and Project Lead of the Combat Mission game series, Stephen Grammont. In this episode we discuss his latest game release, Combat Mission Cold War. We dive into every aspect of the game, from why cover the Cold War now, to why the Steam release was a few months delayed. We then finish off the podcast talking about the possibility and difficulty developing a Combat Mission Vietnam.

If you guys are interested you can listen to it here:

Or on your favorite Podcast app:

It was a very good interview... for some additional background into how Combat Mission Cold War was born, Warren @The_Capt, @IICptMillerII, and I gave an interview to wargamer.fr shortly after the game was released on Battlefront. 

You can read that interview here:  https://www.wargamer.fr/combat-mission-cold-war-un-bouillant-trio-pour-une-guerre-froide/

Bil

The technical parts of that interview were very painful to listen to. Windows has been running on ARM chips for a decade, but you are unlikely to see them go mainstream anytime soon. CM does in fact run in some virtual environments and no, the 15 year old OpenGL implementation is very unlikely to be the reason why it would not run in others. CM2x is not hardware intensive to run, which is why you won't see a performance improvement from a 2014 era to a 2022 era enthusiast grade PC. CM2x just isn't very efficient and can't use all the resources it has available to it. The interviewer explaining how he discovered power states on laptops was pretty funny.

59 minutes ago, SgtHatred said:

The technical parts of that interview were very painful to listen to. Windows has been running on ARM chips for a decade, but you are unlikely to see them go mainstream anytime soon. CM does in fact run in some virtual environments and no, the 15 year old OpenGL implementation is very unlikely to be the reason why it would not run in others. CM2x is not hardware intensive to run, which is why you won't see a performance improvement from a 2014 era to a 2022 era enthusiast grade PC. CM2x just isn't very efficient and can't use all the resources it has available to it. The interviewer explaining how he discovered power states on laptops was pretty funny.

They also kinda badmouthed CMx1's ability to run today. CMBB and CMAK, the GoG versions run perfectly fine for me - in the Parallels virtual machine using win10.

22 hours ago, Bil Hardenberger said:

It was a very good interview... for some additional background into how Combat Mission Cold War was born, Warren @The_Capt, @IICptMillerII, and I gave an interview to wargamer.fr shortly after the game was released on Battlefront. 

You can read that interview here:  https://www.wargamer.fr/combat-mission-cold-war-un-bouillant-trio-pour-une-guerre-froide/

Bil

Well worth a read! Thanks for the link.

On 2/1/2022 at 5:20 AM, Bil Hardenberger said:

Bil

Thank you for sharing. I really enjoyed reading it.