Black Sea v2.16 is now available!

On 6/25/2021 at 4:34 PM, BFCElvis said:

Ugh. Who on this blessed planet said they were testing and installer for a month?

It is now clear that you're just trying to make stuff up to be rude about. Man, that's a hard way to go through life, brother.

But you have given me a good idea. We should coordinate our patch releases and hold ours back until they are ready. It would avoid pointless nonsense like this.

Nooooooo.... Full disclosure: I noticed Steam downloading a patch for CMBS so I came here and downloaded the patch for my BF version. So in this instance Steam helped me.

However, the idea of having to wait an extra month for a patch to BF versions of the games due to Slitherene or Steam's QA process seems like it erases one of the perks of buying direct from BF (I only have Steam versions because of the free license for BF customers). I'm thinking of the times most of us (the silent majority) have patiently waited for a patch to fix something without complaining about it.

I think this episode clearly illustrates that while Steam may provide CM wider exposure it does not improve the patching process, at least not in my view.

21 hours ago, sfhand said:

I think this episode clearly illustrates that while Steam may provide CM wider exposure it does not improve the patching process, at least not in my view.

Steam does improve the patching process. If it has a patch. If it doesn't, it's not the fault of steam, plain and simple.

On 6/30/2021 at 6:39 AM, Bufo said:

Steam does improve the patching process. If it has a patch. If it doesn't, it's not the fault of steam, plain and simple.

We don't know if the delay is due to Steam's QA process or Slitherene's (or some other internal issue/policy with either or both companies). We do know when BF released the patch. We do know the BF patching process:

1) check to see if there is a patch - done automatically by Steam

2) download patch - done automatically by steam

3) extract patch - done automatically by Steam (if they receive compressed patches from their vendors)

4) pause anti-virus protection - not done by Steam

5) run patch as administrator - not done by Steam (afaik)

Side note: Steam's patching process is not error free, yesterday one of my Steam games wouldn't start after a recent patch. As a long time Steam user, I knew to check the integrity of the game files which solved the problem. I knew to do this because it has happened before with various Steam games. I have never had any issues with BF patches by following the simple steps above.

My earlier post was about keeping the BF patch releases without artificial delays, it was not intended as a slam on Steam or its functionality.

Edited by sfhand
accuracy

• 2 months later...

Hi all!

Quick question: I have Black Sea installed on an external hard drive, but when I run the patch, it only offers me to install on my main drive rather than giving me the choice of the drive. I'm on Mac OSX, and had no problem with the other games. 

Anyone knows if this can be circumvented? Thanks in advance!

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Hacketäuer said:

I tried with 7-zip and unrar.

I had a Help Desk ticket that got wrapped up this morning. He used 7zip. I use Bandizip. But his issue turned out to not be 7zip. His firewall and/or anti-virus software was interfering. When he disabled them during the download and installation he was fine.