Embarking limbo (or how long can you limbo?)

I've got a team stuck embarking a HT resulting in both ignoring further orders. Is there a way of clearing this?

It's occurring in a PBEM game (of course!) so a save game reload isn't an option.

There was a small hedge between the team and HT which would have required the team to go around it. I thought as both were in adjacent action spots - I can be lazy with my path...

I currently have this as well with two adjacent units in a long overdue play-test.  Have tried splitting into teams and giving new orders, no luck. There are hedges around but they didn't trouble any other units.  Also the unit markers seem to be a long long way from where most of the individual troops are?  Don't really get it.

Edited by Vacilllator

Vacillator, if your troops are spread way out from their icon, it means they got split off somehow. Troops used to do that a lot before BFC fixed the “soldier wandering off by himself” bug. No idea what version fixed that, but regardless, even after the fix, a soldier will still occasionally wander away. If that is the case with your current game, then they won’t embark until they re-unite. You probably need to set a new waypoint somewhere between the various split members to get them back together first.

In Howler’s case, I would bet the hedge is the problem...animation to jump the hedge may be interfering with the animation to embark, or some such thing. Anyway, move around the hedge to the same side as the HT first, then try embarking.

Well, it's been 15 minutes of game time and both the HT and team ignore orders. In the team's case - I can't even get their icon to brighten (select). At least the HT shows full menus and allows way points to be set. They just don't complete the orders.

wsq6xZm.jpg

The original unit states was an embark on the HT located on the other side of the low hedges while the HT remained stationary.

In the above image, I'm trying to break the lock by ordering the HT to move around the obstruction. It being the only unit accepting orders...

I would normally first order the team into the AS occupied by the HT and then embark to mitigate path finding issues. I got lazy and simply went directly to the HT. The team was supposed to 'automagically' move left/right and around the hedge three or so action spots. Pretty much the path shown by the HT orders... or the other way.

Edited by Howler

1 hour ago, mjkerner said:

Yeah, sounds like the occasional rare glitch I would get in CMBN pbems, and maybe other titles and playing solo, just can't recall atm.   (Maybe RT??)  Anyway, I haven't had it happen since I upgraded to v.4. What version are you on?

Latest and greatest. I normally avoid this issue by not assuming the game can read my mind. Goes to show how Murphy never forgets to strike. The one time I don't follow my SOP - I get dinged! 😁

28 minutes ago, Erwin said:

A thought:  You could try to select the whole formation which should make even the stuck units' icons brighten as they are selected.  Then give some form of move order and delete the orders for all the other units.

I'll do that on our next exchange and report back.

6 hours ago, Erwin said:

A thought:  You could try to select the whole formation which should make even the stuck units' icons brighten as they are selected.  Then give some form of move order and delete the orders for all the other units.

No go. While the rest of the platoon was ordered to move - our problem team continues to ignore all orders.

Fortunately, I can make do without this team.

22 hours ago, mjkerner said:

Vacillator, if your troops are spread way out from their icon, it means they got split off somehow. Troops used to do that a lot before BFC fixed the “soldier wandering off by himself” bug. No idea what version fixed that, but regardless, even after the fix, a soldier will still occasionally wander away. If that is the case with your current game, then they won’t embark until they re-unite. You probably need to set a new waypoint somewhere between the various split members to get them back together first.

In Howler’s case, I would bet the hedge is the problem...animation to jump the hedge may be interfering with the animation to embark, or some such thing. Anyway, move around the hedge to the same side as the HT first, then try embarking.

Thanks for the advice, I'm sure what you describe is correct, although how they got split off I don't know as they were still supposedly 'whole' units. 

I first tried to move the existing first waypoints for the whole units, I could not - I got a strange symbol (perhaps meaning movement to that point is not possible) and it wouldn't let me move them.  This may explain why they never even tried to move to their first waypoints?  Anyway, I then split them into teams and the wayward troops still seemed to be in limbo.  I then cancelled all waypoints and re-routed carefully around hedges.  Success!   They are now all reunited and loaded in their Bedfords on their way to contribute to the cause.  I hope 😉.

8 hours ago, Vergeltungswaffe said:

Drop some mortar fire close by and see if they'll move away and end up being freed from limbo.

🤷‍♀️

Or you will kill them and thus free the HT. :(

I had to do this once way back in 1.0 where a single idiot went running off while the rest of his squad loaded onto a truck. I blasted him with some tank area fire and freed up the squad and the truck.

If you have a save I can pass it on to the all powerful programmers. PM me and we can arrange to get the file to me.

42 minutes ago, Vacilllator said:

how they got split off I don't know as they were still supposedly 'whole' units. 

I then split them into teams and the wayward troops still seemed to be in limbo.  I then cancelled all waypoints and re-routed carefully around hedges.  Success! 

It's a rare pathing bug in which a single guy or guys gets split off stuck someplace while the rest of his unit moves on - and then you get the problem you have experienced.

You said that you couldn't select the problematic unit(s) at all.  Yes, we should have asked it it was possible for you to manually split the unit.  Glad it worked out.

Had it happen when testing 'Coup' for @MOS:96B2P a couple of CM:SF2 patches back.....A dude got seperated from his squad by a wall, then got well & properly lost/stuck.  I could always select the unit, but I couldn't get (all of) them to move.

One off experience thus far

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

4 minutes ago, Erwin said:

You said that you couldn't select the problematic unit(s) at all.  Yes, we should have asked it it was possible for you to manually split the unit.  Glad it worked out.

I think someone else said that, but if it was me I shouldn't have - I could always select the units and get the bright green highlights under the troops.  It's just that a lot of them were in odd remote places and made no attempt to move.  But yes by splitting, cancelling waypoints and then re-doing new waypoints it worked.

4 hours ago, Vacilllator said:

They are now all reunited and loaded in their Bedfords on their way to contribute to the cause.  I hope 😉.

I think what actually happened is that they found out that Paddy wasn't driving the Bedford in question. Therefore there'd not be any Guinness on board, and decided to wait for his to show up.

• 2 weeks later...