Community Campaign Created by Multiple Contributors, Historical or Hypothetical

On 12/22/2020 at 1:14 AM, Probus said:

Received the Holland '44 game yesterday.  Setting up the board to look for an area that would be good for a "Bridge Too Far" mini campaign game. 

Some details:

• Each hex is 2 km.
  • You can stack up to ~2 battalions per hex.
  • So if we just used a small portion of the game map, maybe around 9 hexes, each hex could be broken into smaller squares to make sure the battles stay small.
  • A battle could be the entire hex if just 2 commanders would be involved. (Huge map, with a relatively small force).
  • Really struggling over how much of a force a company commander should control.  Somewhere on the order of 1-2+ reinforced companies.
  • Working on rules governing how each battle starts.  What constitutes a meeting engagement vs a probe vs and attack etc...
  • Each turn of the game is broken into morning and afternoon and there are rules for weather.

The type of meeting depends on your Intel. Meeting is like a tennis match, be the first on the objective with the mostest or use the objective to ambush your enemy. You know he is on the way there. Probing is Recon in force, Attack is Terrain focused but you still have insufficient Intel it is one step further than a probe. Assault is you have located the enemy and have a plan to destroy his forces. Anyway, that's how I understand it. 

• 3 weeks later...

OK folks, due to recent developments, I am considering scrapping the Market Garden approach and re-centering on Combat Mission: Cold War for the campaign.  Any thoughts?  Any ideas of what would make a good multi-multi-player campaign in the Cold War?  Scenarios from books are welcome.  Also scenarios from board games would be good resources too.

Any cold war VASSAL games you can suggest?  I have the boardgames NATO, Boots & Saddles, Firefight, Gulf War, and a few more.

Edited by Probus
Add VASSAL Suggestions

• 1 year later...
On 9/26/2020 at 8:07 PM, Vergeltungswaffe said:

I played in several CMMC's (Combat Mission Mega Campaigns) back in the day.  CMBB and CMAK.  Quite a few players and a team of umpires made it the most fun ever.

The limiting factor is having enough people to umpire/gamemaster it all.

Trying to involve BFC will be a non-starter imho, they won't have the time to deal with it in any way.

Hi,

agree on all points🙂.

Remember the James Bailey, Normandy CMMC? Best wargame I ever played. And never even fought a CM contact battle through the entire campaign.

With CM engine 4 and the quality of the Vassal versions of many a great operational cardboard game would be fun. But would be so much easier if one could password protect scenarios and edit Saved games.

All the best,

kip. 

The first post to this thread was sept 2020.  Did anything ever get tried (dont have time to read through all 4 pages right now)?

I have always wanted to be involved with something like this, and my current thinking is 3 teams of 3 or 4 people.  Where one teams is the umpire.  short campaign (get done in 6-9 months) and then a different team umpires. 9 to 12 dedicated people that expect to play together for a couple of years is definitely doable. (I've been involved in forum based board games that have lasted multiple years with the same small group of people.  So I think keeping it small and keeping the umpire work load distributed is the key.)

Edited by dkchapuis

Hi,

I have the full set of rules from the James Bailey, Normandy based CMMC involving the 43rd Brit division amongst others. They are hundreds of pages long but superbly written and formatted. If anyone wants them, just for inspiration and to see how it can be done, just message me. In Word they are 8MB I think. 

The quality of Vassal operational games, example Multi-Man's Battalion Combat Series for WWII, changes things. It would be simple to have a larger operational game in which some of the battles were resolved at the operational level and some at the CM level. With the Umpires maintaining three operational maps. One master map for themselves, one showing blue forces with FOW of red forces and one for the red players with FOW of blue forces. 

But will stop there😉. You can get drawn into huge posts outlining your personal take on the way to play CMMC. Suffice to say a simplified version of the James Bailey method of CMMC is my preferred but within a larger operational, Vassal based game.

All good fun,

All the best,

kip.

Back years ago, me and a few other folks messed around with a concept called CMPzC. A guy named noob created the basic concept with rules to take various CM titles and fasten them to the operational layer of John Tiller's Panzer Campaigns.

I and a few others did actually muster up players and get a few of these campaigns off the ground. I did one using CMBN during Market-Garden around Valkenswaard near the River Dommel. Another was CMFI down near Sicily. Another was with CMRT in Hungary. Maybe there were others but those 3 I was involved with. 

In the various game forums you can search CMPzC and see the threads for the 2 sides and many AAR's and screenshots. The names of the fine folks who participated and ran it will then be evident. I don't recall all the names nor am I saying "I" ran it ALL. I just can't remember.

I THINK it was fairly enjoyable but it took a LOT of work and time. My only advice and just IMHO...smaller is easier/better. 

On 12/21/2020 at 1:10 PM, Double Deuce said:

Many, many years ago I ran multiplayer games like this using Steel Panthers (both the WWII and Modern versions). I never tried using CM but I'm sure it'll be pretty involved and time intensive. The one advantage I found with using Steel Panthers was the random map generator which saved lots of time. It'll be interesting to see how this project turns out.

SP is still imo one of the best games ever made. The updated graphics with the versions WinSPWW2 and WinSPMBT make it very playable again... SP has so many features that I wish for in CM. It being 2D top down view however, I hop back and forth between the two (CM and SP) for my fixes. SP is also a great source for scenario conversions to CM, maps not so much. However.....

I do think the SP map generator could be used to generate  rough templates to use as overlays in the CM map editor to assist with campaign map making. Of course all the details the CM map editor provides would make the map look much better in the end as a straight SP map converted to CM does not look great hence why I mention to use them as "rough templates".

I do know that the SP map generator creates better looking 2D, top down, random generated maps (that make sense) compared to the maps that CMx1 3D randomly generated that is for sure. Remember those? lol.

Edited by Blazing 88's

6 hours ago, kipanderson said:

Hi,

I have the full set of rules from the James Bailey, Normandy based CMMC involving the 43rd Brit division amongst others. They are hundreds of pages long but superbly written and formatted. If anyone wants them, just for inspiration and to see how it can be done, just message me. In Word they are 8MB I think. 

The quality of Vassal operational games, example Multi-Man's Battalion Combat Series for WWII, changes things. It would be simple to have a larger operational game in which some of the battles were resolved at the operational level and some at the CM level. With the Umpires maintaining three operational maps. One master map for themselves, one showing blue forces with FOW of red forces and one for the red players with FOW of blue forces. 

But will stop there😉. You can get drawn into huge posts outlining your personal take on the way to play CMMC. Suffice to say a simplified version of the James Bailey method of CMMC is my preferred but within a larger operational, Vassal based game.

All good fun,

All the best,

kip.

I'd love a copy of the CMMC rules if it's possible please.

I still have a copy of the GECCOS program. :)

Edited by nathangun

19 minutes ago, Artkin said:

Geccos is PERFECT. Friggen program never crashes, takes my 100MB maps like a champ, and is just a NO BS program. I am very pleased with it. Last night I deployed 6th army in geccos. Took time but I got er done

You should post a screenie of that, better still send me the files so I have have a look. :)

4 minutes ago, nathangun said:

You should post a screenie of that, better still send me the files so I have have a look. :)

On the way asap. I just have to add companies to one infantry division, and then add an artillery pool. I was going to add to the map but forgot last night. So, if I can't get the new map imported with the icons that are already on the map then I will just make an artillery "pool" in the ocean. :)

@Blazing 88's If you have any interest in SPWW2 operational games, my buddy SaSTrooP over at TheBlitz is running a massive Corps(+) level game based in Hungary 1945. Last round just ended (Results posted today), so we can certainly use people in the fight! I believe axis needs players. 

https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards/forumdisplay.php?fid=309