Thinking of buying

1 hour ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Panthers, Tigers & even a Kingtiger.....Again.  :rolleyes:

By far the most common German AFV during Operation Bagration was the StuG III Ausf G.....But how often do we see those?

I know, I know, I'm totally in the early war camp myself, but it's a good AAR and touches on the player shifting to EF for the first time in current CMx2. Plus, well...sexy kit viddy + "Thinking of buying" thread = one for the Gipper, or so I thought. 🙂

I'm still hoping for some earlier period equipment prezzies in CM:FR that could be used to fudge it. The changes to Soviet rifle formations would seem to make them much closer to early war. And, for the Germans, you can already take security forces (no LMG), cut down the manpower and add back in MG34 teams to get pretty close to early. So, that's infantry.

If we get PIII's, that would help a lot. Now, if we could get those, plus, say, an earlier Stug and some KV's... you know, just as Easter Eggs mind, well then...😁

35 minutes ago, Macisle said:

I know, I know, I'm totally in the early war camp myself,

It's not even that.....In the 1944 campaign that this game depicts, the StuG III was by far the most common German AFV.  Simples.  :mellow:

IIRC Germany produced a grand total of about 4500 Panther Gs and roughly 400 Kingtigers.....I reckon we must have seen all of them at least twice in assorted AARs.  :rolleyes:

PS - Don't even get me started on the Pz.II Ausf Ls!  :P

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

10 hours ago, Warts 'n' all said:

One to save, and watch again sometime in my opinion.

Bang on -  usually lose the will to live within five minutes of watching a CM video with the narrator spending ages going through the briefing and then watching them plot all the flipping moves and lots of 'didn't mean to do that'.  This guy nailed it, enough of the briefing to read you in - good initial overview and then a nice mix of beautifully shot vignettes interspersed with overheads to help you track it.  All backed up with a narrative that explained what was going on ... left, center, right.

Although everyone has their personal tastes - if I made a CM video, I would want it to be this one, or one in this style.

On 10/6/2020 at 1:14 AM, Macisle said:

Here's an interesting, recent AAR showing a veteran Western Front CMer's first H2H battle in CM:RT:

Ha, had to stop watching almost immediately as it sounds like a battle I would definitely like to try.  I'll have no spoilers here 😉

Thanks for the heads up though.

21 minutes ago, Warts 'n' all said:

Without any spoilers. I'll just say that it great fun to fight whichever side you plump for.

Thanks my friend, will give it a go.  Not sure which side, but my usual proclivity suggests Axis. 

Also I've been thinking of playing Wittmann's Demise as Allies (not my usual proclivity).  Hmmm - choices, choices 😁.

On 9/2/2020 at 10:04 AM, CanuckGamer said:

I have all the WWII combat mission games except for Red Thunder because I am more interested in the eastern front from 1941 to 1943.  Are there any plans to add modules covering that time period?  Secondly is the base game now game engine 4 or would I have to purchase that as well?  

If you don't currently own CM:RT I would wait for the module to release. You might be able to pick up a discount by buying both together.

6 hours ago, BornGinger said:

Maybe because the fighting according to historians was more brutal on the eastern front compared to the western front?

That may be part of it. The casualty rates are more easily rationalized on the Eastern Front and CM:RT seems to want larger scale battles. I generally play reinforced company sized battles in the Western titles, but nearly always go for a battalion of infantry and at least a company of armor in RT.

Speaking of scale, for anyone who is unaware of it, you should really check out TIK's Battlestorm: Stalingrad series. At this point, it is the most detailed, step-by-step video documentary of the battle ever made. It's in ongoing production and the Germans are just getting close to the city. The series really shows how much fighting and attrition went on before the Germans even got to Stalingrad itself. A number of myths about the battle have been put to bed so far. -Highly recommended!

10 hours ago, Macisle said:

Speaking of scale, for anyone who is unaware of it, you should really check out TIK's Battlestorm: Stalingrad series. At this point, it is the most detailed, step-by-step video documentary of the battle ever made. It's in ongoing production and the Germans are just getting close to the city. The series really shows how much fighting and attrition went on before the Germans even got to Stalingrad itself. A number of myths about the battle have been put to bed so far. -Highly recommended!

Combine that with David Glantz Stalingrad triologi and Jason D. Marks Death of the leaping horsemen and you will have a decent understanding of the Stalingrad fighting...🙂

1 hour ago, Combatintman said:

Germans got hungry sums it up.

Yepp...i guess it does 😎...

I guess that we can all be glad that the germans insisted on making misstake after misstake when it comes to the 'big picture'...

Perhaps not so much applicable to CM but rather WITE2 when it gets released...it will be intresting to try various variations of the historical decisions made...