Map question: Symbols xxx and xx

hank24

Hello, I am just playing MG Counterattack at Son and encountered problems crossing some hedges and fences with tanks. To find the reason I opened the map editor and found some pinkish xxx symbols and some light blue xx symbols at precisely these squares.

Is that a way to block a square for vehicles and/or foot soldiers? How are these symbols generated? I did not find anything at the manual or editor.

Concerning the scenario. It Looks promising, just a Little too much traffic management for my taste, but the scenario author (thanks ASL Veteran) stated that he tried to replicate the Dutch polder terrain. So, I have to live with it and try my best. Unfortunately, I have this impassable canal bridge in my version of the scenario though I have patched everything to V4. I think, I will play it up to that bridge, see no way to change that thing mid-game.

1 hour ago, hank24 said:

Hello, I am just playing MG Counterattack at Son and encountered problems crossing some hedges and fences with tanks. To find the reason I opened the map editor and found some pinkish xxx symbols and some light blue xx symbols at precisely these squares.

Hummm. I don't see that. Where on the map exactly? If by xxx you mean numbers in blue that is ditch lock elevation. There is no numbers in pink so I at a loss at to what to guess for that.

When you follow the road from German set up zone north you come to two houses. The fence, wood patches, and low bocage north of the second show small xxx and xx printed over the terrain symbols at the map editor. It is not ditch lock. Can be found at many other places, too. I think the xx were yellow not blue.

Had a look at the map and my only guess would be the X (or rather H) shaped gapped terrain types (fence, hedge, walls, bocage). At least the shape resembles someting like an X, though not double or triple. Odd....

here´s the area as it looks in my editor screen

21kkvg9.jpg

Edited by RockinHarry

The only pink-ish X I see is way up North of the German deployment zone, on a bridge of some sort just below a couple of houses. That may be the "impassable canal bridge" you mentioned Hank24.
No joy on any X rated hedges and fence though.

35df86aff49daaf3795943301726053b.png8ef89aa34685f7d0a6d72a46a68aeaee.png

Edited by CMFDR

Hi all, now I've got some screenshots and info on installed mods. Strange, seems like I am the only one. Maybe @ASL Veteran knows what it is, I think he is the author.

By the way, how do you get a screenshot from CM? Did not get it with Print key and not with PaintShopPro. Always the Windows background, only.

At the detailed Picture below, my Panthers refused to cross the fence between 4444 Meadow and 6666 field.

My CM:BM is Version 4.00, Game Engine 4. Active modules: BN base, Commomwealth, Market Garden.

CMBN_BugSmall.jpg

CMBN_BugBig.jpg

CMBNMods.jpg

Edited by hank24
Pic upload

8 minutes ago, Pete Wenman said:

Pull the trees, bocage and bush mod and see if that makes a difference

Hi Pete, did that, restarted CM - same Picture, all xxx and xx still there. Then I took all mods except JuJu's UI Mod (will never leave that) from my Z folder to another one, restarted CM - all xxx and xx still there. Buh, looks like I have a unique version of CM. Something as valuable as a rare stamp?

That's "Heavy Woods" terrain under the fence and those trees where your arrow is- that is impassable to all vehicles.

The X's- no idea. I've been making maps with the Editor for many years now, and have never seen that freaky action. It does look like it's happening where there is a specific tree/bush type.

OK @benpark, no test at that place. Seems to be at squares with some less accessible terrain, only. Never at plain grass or field.

I just checked all the other games:

• It seems to be at each map of CM:BN, in Arnhem, Commonwealth maps, and the base module. Some woods are full of it.
  • None at CM:RT, CM:FI and Gustav Line, and none at CM:FB.

@hank24 no worries, happy to help. Unfortunately, I'm stumped by the mysterious x problem. Like @benpark, I spend heaps of time in the Editor and I have never seen this across all of the titles less CMA, which I own but haven't been near the editor. Admittedly I haven't been near CMBN of late but I was last in it about a month ago and absolutely no x's. The only thing I can say is that no one else who has commented here has seen this. It also looks like that you've now removed your mods which should rule out any conflicts there. Maybe its a system issue of some description? Hopefully some technically minded forumite (of which I am not) will rock up and offer some advice.

A new version of Counter Attack at Son was included in one of the patches with a bridge that's passable for tanks (ugh - not my finest hour).  I don't remember which one unfortunately.  I just looked at the scenario in the editor and I didn't see any of those Xs in it.  Like the others I've never seen anything that looks like that in the editor before.  However, I am probably not fully patched since I haven't been in CMBN in quite a while.

My fault. Now I have found the cause. I had all 'unused mods' transferred to a folder I called NoZ, but I left that under the Data Folder. I thought these would not be used, but they were and there was one called Editor Tree Mod which was the cause for the marks. It was just an indicator for one, two, or three trees.

Sorry for this trouble - at least I've learned where you don't put unused mods.

@ASL Veteran I think I will restart with an intact bridge. Now after I've heard so much about the scenario I am eager to play it this weekend. Thank you for your inspiration and effort. Fortunately, I am in a situation to use CM at work and there I designed a scenario for CM:BS, it is smooth but a real effort. I don't find the time to do that privately after so much computer stuff professionally, but I will be at (on?) pension in some years. Sweet dreams of nice landscapes ready to be completely destroyed ;-)