Hasbro's Squad Leader

Wayne

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I have read it will only resemble AH's squad leader in name only. CM is Squad Leader (only better) actually. I believe BTS started out to make Squad Leader then went their own direction if I recall correctly.

[This message has been edited by Abbott (edited 09-14-2000).]

Here is a quote from a Squad Leader(Hasbro version) preview at cdmag.com:

----------------

"The game features such touches as letters from home to affect your men’s morale, an experience system that rewards you for keeping your men alive, and what MicroProse hopes will be immersive and effective animation and terrain. What you won’t find is blood, or swastikas, or SS soldiers; Hasbro is quite adamant on maintaining a "family" atmosphere, and is equally determined to market the game in Germany, where there are certain restrictions on showing Nazi regalia.

You’ll also find multi-racial squads in game, which is totally ahistorical, but quite politically correct."

-------------

A p.c. wargame; family atmosphere...guess its "our boys against some aliens in grey uniforms".

Rediculous.

Fred

------------------

"I got signals, I got readings, in front and behind of us!" - PFC Hudson on LV-426 mission

It's a shame when developers are in it for the cash. Thank God we still got BTS to deliver hardcore strategy games. It's funny to think that BTS never thought they would sell as many copies as they've already did because of it's hardcore WW2 audience. Shows that people buy quality no matter what it is and that people like realism.

Guest MantaRay

**** Hasbro ( excuse the vileness) but I have always revered SL and ASL even though I have only played once before. Hasbro is a BS company and one of my close friends works there, so I have proof. I cannot see anyone here liking what they will do...er.. screw up with such a respectible name such as Sq Ldr. Sure makes me grateful for BTS.

And BTW, my buddy designs Barbie Dolls ( bet you wish you had a friend that you could obliderate for that smile.gif) and has no pull in stopping this crap from being released, I have already tried. =}

Ray

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sniperscope:

Crap.

sniperscope

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Funny, that is EXACTLY what my attitude became within about 30 minutes of playing the demo. I really hope the guys at BTS get to make some decent cash for delivering this gem.

------------------

"I hate quotations. Tell me what you know." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gunsmithcat:

Funny, that is EXACTLY what my attitude became within about 30 minutes of playing the demo. I really hope the guys at BTS get to make some decent cash for delivering this gem.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

DOH! Was referring to your quote about CM making other land games obsolete, not that CM is crap! Double DOH!!!

------------------

"I hate quotations. Tell me what you know." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

An excerpt from an e-mail I sent to Hasbro:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I have just read a review of your upcoming game "Squad Leader" on Gamesdomain.com. Assuming that the review is not in error, I must say it has quashed any interest I had in this game. I am a long-time player of the original Avalon Hill wargames "Squad Leader" and "Advanced Squad Leader". I had high hopes that when Hasbro purchased AH's games that a serious effort would be made to produce computer versions that were true to the originals. However, it seems that is not the case. Instead, it seems to be just another cookie cutter game aimed at the general public and not the more demanding standards of the general wargaming community.

However, I have discovered a competing product called "Combat Mission" that will occupy my time once spent playing Squad Leader. If your company intends to continue publishing computer wargames, I would ask that your programming teams and their management take a hard look at what has gone into the development of this game. No frills, no fluff, just a fun, easily playable (my 5-year old son already understands the interface) and historically accurate wargame. I wish there were more games like it on the market.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

VERY disappointed. Didn't even download the demo.

------------------

Canada: Where men were men, unless they were horses.

-Dudley Do-right

[This message has been edited by IntelWeenie (edited 09-14-2000).]

HE HE... That's funny GUNSMITHCAT!

I also heard this about Squad Leader:

"The design team threw out a 'realistic damage system'. The explanation for this was that a player would burn through all 100 available squad members before the games end."

Piss poor if you ask me!

Thank the gods for CM!

I can just picture some Hasbro suits discussing this game in a meeting...

Suit: "Hmmm... this game looks pretty boring, all those charts and numbers! How are we going to market this?"

Marketing Weenie: "OK, the game's called Squad Leader right? What's the first thing to come to mind... leader... a leader of men... he must be tough, confident, but has a soft side... maybe a love interest back home? Why not go with that?"

Suit: "Hey, I like that!"

Lawyer: "Whoa... hold on... is this a Swastika? This'll be on the shelves right next to our Ultra Deluxe Family Games Pro Gold Edition! Do you know how many calls we'll get on that? Walmart won't touch it with a 10' pole!"

Suit: "Good lord!!! We can't have any of that, although I like your idea about the whole leader thing."

Marketing Weenie: "Thank you sir"

Suit: "You! Hiding in the corner! Get back to your people and have them take out all this technical junk and put in more humanity... and get rid of those Swastikas... and throw in 20% more minorities too!"

Designer: "Yes master."

------------------

"You know our standing orders. Out of ammo become a bunker, out of commission become a pillbox, out of time... become heroes." - The Beast

[This message has been edited by Daveman (edited 09-14-2000).]

ROFL possibly the funniest post yet on this forum smile.gif.

Btw I bought SAW recently for 10$, after 4 scenarios I deleted the game from the HD and threw it in the dustbin. Wasted money worth at least 4 beers for this crap frown.gif. According to GDR Squad Leader is 99% like this.

Better buy Fallout Tactics or JA2UB if you are interested in this kind of games.

And there's only one true contender for the ASL crown and that is Combat mission.

Marcus

Did'nt mean to set everybody off, I was just curious about what happened to the project and I could'nt find anything out online so I asked the best source of information on the web, which is this message board. I agree with you that CM and BTS is the best and I would'nt trade CM for Hasbro's junk for anything. It would be interesting to see what they did though. Thanks for the feedback.

------------------

Blessed be the Lord my strength who teaches my hands to war and my fingers to fight.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Abbott:

From what I have read it will only resemble AH's squad leader in name only. CM is Squad Leader (only better) actually. I believe BTS started out to make Squad Leader then went their own direction if I recall correctly.

[This message has been edited by Abbott (edited 09-14-2000).]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You are right BTS was working with AH untill Hasbro bought out AH.

marcusm wrote:

> ROFL possibly the funniest post yet on this forum .

One of the funniest. He's got some stiff competition.

David

------------------

They lost all of their equipment and had to swim in under machine gun fire. As they struggled in the water, Gardner heard somebody say, "Perhaps we're intruding, this seems to be a private beach."

Guest Michael emrys

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by IntelWeenie:

An excerpt from an e-mail I sent to Hasbro:<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

[snip]

The only thing I would fault you for in this, IW, is mentioning CM. There's an old saying: "Let sleeping dogs lie." People like Hasbro can play very, very dirty and I'd as soon they didn't hear about BTS for as long as possible. Let Charles and Steve devote themselves to turning out excellent games rather than having to deal with a hostile corporate giant. They tried for months to screw Major H out of TacOps even though they hadn't a leg to stand on legally. That's the way they play. frown.gif

Michael

From the Hasbro comment earlier:

"What you won’t find is blood, or swastikas, or SS soldiers; Hasbro is quite adamant on maintaining a 'family' atmosphere, and is equally determined to market the game in Germany, where there are certain restrictions on showing Nazi regalia. You’ll also find multi-racial squads in game, which is totally ahistorical, but quite politically correct."

OK, allowance made for the "swastika" issue, as BTS had to deal with that too. But beyond that (like no SS troopers allowed, LOL), it seems that WW2 history is too "politically incorrect" to adhere to.

Well, if political correctness is the higher criteria, why even bother with the WW2 historical theme? The half-ass treatment of WW2 historical realism that's anticipated here will only grate on the "historical gamers" who are the only sizable market that would be willing to give a look-see to this project.

So to approach a "family" theme, why not just switch to "Paintball Squad Leader"? A lot better family potential that way. No blood (although maybe blood blisters like I got once in such a game redface.gif ), no death, no restrictions on race, gender, or age; any "persona" can be created and used in the game. No houses or terrain getting destroyed; now, we just CAN'T subject our little family gamers to the sight of a house being blown apart, can we?

Get a clue, Hasbro. Many of these "family gamers" that you are trying to protect probably reveled in the bath of destruction, blood, violence, explosions, and political INCORRECTNESS that Jagged Alliance 2 dished out last year, as one such example. Does this mean that computer game violence is "good" or "cool" or "OK" across the board? No. But the WW2 tactical arena should NEVER be expected to make for a good "family game" either.

[This message has been edited by Spook (edited 09-14-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fred:

animation and terrain. What you won’t find is blood, or swastikas, or SS soldiers; Hasbro is quite adamant on maintaining a "family" atmosphere

-------------

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ROFLMAOPMP family atmosphere in an Wargame what are they gonna do? confused.gif , use balloons with KPLOW in them like the old Batman tv series, or make all Allied troops warm fuzzy pink bunnies & the Germans all evil (whats the politicly correct term for evil?) Grey Gerbils ........ biggrin.gif

Regards, John Waters

------------------

Notice: Spelling mistakes left in for people who need to correct others to make their life fulfilled.

[This message has been edited by PzKpfw 1 (edited 09-14-2000).]

OMG, John, you're a genius in your suggestion!!! If user mods were allowed to this new "Squad Leader", maybe we can get something that does allow a face-off between hamsters & gerbils. wink.gif

Or even better --- give an arena for the smileys to tear into each other. That ought to make Peng happy biggrin.gif

And in both examples -- LOADS of family fun.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PzKpfw 1:

make all Allied troops warm fuzzy pink bunnies & the Germans all evil (whats the politicly correct term for evil?) Grey Gerbils ........ biggrin.gif

Regards, John Waters<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

All CM mod makers please take notice.....

------------------

Canada: Where men were men, unless they were horses.

-Dudley Do-right

Perhaps I'm mistaken, but didn't Hasbro put out Axis and Allies for the computer? Isn't that "family-friendly" enough for them... all you're doing is moving tanks and planes around a map for crying out loud.

------------------

"You know our standing orders. Out of ammo become a bunker, out of commission become a pillbox, out of time... become heroes." - The Beast