Trying to decide whether to buy........

Percival

Trying to decide between CMBS or CMFB, unfortunately I can't afford both at once, but wish I could because they both look great. One factor that may influence me is map sizes in CMBS so I was hoping someone could give me a broad idea of how big the maps are. I'm not so keen on the "knife fight in telephone box" type scenario on a small map. Is there much scope for manoeuvre on the bigger maps? Are there any maps on which heavy weapons are at maximum or out of range? Demo maps seem quite small. Any advice will be much appreciated.

There's large maps in all the CMX2 series, I believe. Its a function of the Editor, which can reasonably handle up to, I think 5km x 5 km. Not sure exactly, but large enough.

The scenarios in CMBS are, I believe, oriented to longer ranges than the WW2 series (s/o smarter then me can confirm y/n).

Personally, I find the difference is in lethality - in CMBS being seen pretty much means being killed. This makes the battles far more merciless of lazy commanders. Like me :).

Thanks guys, that's helpful. I'm not a beginner, have been around since CMSF 1.0, but I'm well out of practice! I found the answer on map sizes in the manual for the CMBS demo, it's a max of 8km x 8km, which isn't at all bad. I see that's double what it used to be (bravo Battlefront). I think I may have to get both because I just can't decide. I tell myself this is a small company that deserves support: and as an old friend of mine used to say "there are no pockets in a shroud". 😊

5 hours ago, Percival said:

Thanks guys, that's helpful. I'm not a beginner, have been around since CMSF 1.0, but I'm well out of practice! I found the answer on map sizes in the manual for the CMBS demo, it's a max of 8km x 8km, which isn't at all bad. I see that's double what it used to be (bravo Battlefront). I think I may have to get both because I just can't decide. I tell myself this is a small company that deserves support: and as an old friend of mine used to say "there are no pockets in a shroud". 😊

Welcome back!

In my, entirely subjective opinion, BS maps *feel* smaller. Advances in optics and weaponry resulted in much longer engagement ranges. 1km in BN is medium range, 1km in BS is battlesight range. BS also tends to bring more units into the fold. So it feels like 10 guys fighting with pikes in an elevator. Modern warfare is lightning fast. Engagements last a fraction of a time that WW2 ones did.

Getting both is a great idea. It's like two different types of games. Whenever I get too comfortable in WW2, I go into Modern titles and vice versa. Compare them and see which era you like the most. I own every CM2 -- I still can't decide which is better.

19 hours ago, Percival said:

That isn't accurate.  The map length on any side can not exceed 8 km, but BOTH sides can't be 8 km.  The largest square map is about 4.5 x 4.5 I think.  If one side is 8m I think the other is limited to 1 km.

I keep wondering about this so I fired up the game. If you want 8km on one side you can make it 2.3km wide. And you cannot get to 4.5km squared you can get 4km by 4.5km. I made this table setting one side to 8km (maxes out) and then getting the max width. Then I reduced the depth by 500m ish at a time and maxed out the width again. If you continue you get the opposite numbers until you get to a width of 8000m and a depth of 2320.

image.png.83d31136ad7c7beeffe4e772524dac15.png

So the longest you can get is 8km with a width of 2.3km and the max area you can get is 18.6km^2 at 2.6km by 7km. That's 1860 hectares BTW.

OK, OK what the heck is a hectare - in acres that would be 4596 acres.