Un-Acquire ?

Thank you - something to add to my wish list then. But, less important than the ability to split squad inside vehicles. I would like to dismount a scout team not an entire squad if needed to limit exposure. I know there is a workaround for this but really implementing split squad inside vehicles will allow flexibility since there are four possible squad split options.

6 hours ago, Erwin said:

That's a good un to add to the looong list.

Yeah. I found myself wishing for this just the other day. This might not be so easy to code though, in light of the already existing code that rejoins teams into their parent squads as soon as they are all gathered in a vehicle.

Michael

8 hours ago, Michael Emrys said:

This might not be so easy to code though, in light of the already existing code that rejoins teams into their parent squads as soon as they are all gathered in a vehicle

Well, I have done few tests.

Take a squad on the ground (not inside a vehicle). Split it and leave the two teams untouched.
It will take approximately 15 seconds to recombine the squad automatically.

Now, take two teams of the same squad in separate ground areas. Ask one of the team to go on the same square than the other one.
It will take approximately 3 seconds to recombine the squad automatically.

In terms of UI, the split buttons are there, they are just greyed out when the squad is inside the vehicle.

Why not do exactly the same than when the squad is outside the vehicle?

Splitting a squad inside a vehicle, you have 15 seconds to do something with the team of your choice before an automated merge.
And, when the team is back in the vehicle, 3 seconds later it is merged in its squad if everybody there.

I do not know what it does represent in terms of code. But, all the LEGO pieces are there.

Two things about acquire/unacquire from my perspective:

1) Unacquire is a sore gap in commands.  I bet 90% of my battle setup restarts are because I accidentally acquired ammo, AT, etc. assets I didn't want to.

2) Acquire for the AI is a close second in gaps.  AI troops can't acquire any assets and that leaves a very large advantage to the human player.

18 hours ago, Thewood1 said:

2) Acquire for the AI is a close second in gaps.  AI troops can't acquire any assets and that leaves a very large advantage to the human player.

While the AI will not load up on extra rounds, it will acquire AT assets before dismounting. So, there is not really any advantage to the human player in this respect.

• 1 month later...
On 9/12/2018 at 8:28 PM, ncc1701e said:

Well, I have done few tests.

Take a squad on the ground (not inside a vehicle). Split it and leave the two teams untouched.
It will take approximately 15 seconds to recombine the squad automatically.

Now, take two teams of the same squad in separate ground areas. Ask one of the team to go on the same square than the other one.
It will take approximately 3 seconds to recombine the squad automatically.

In terms of UI, the split buttons are there, they are just greyed out when the squad is inside the vehicle.

Why not do exactly the same than when the squad is outside the vehicle?

Splitting a squad inside a vehicle, you have 15 seconds to do something with the team of your choice before an automated merge.
And, when the team is back in the vehicle, 3 seconds later it is merged in its squad if everybody there.

I do not know what it does represent in terms of code. But, all the LEGO pieces are there.

And, just to complete, I have noticed that the new command Combined Squad is indeed available when a squad is inside a vehicule:

A0JV7.jpg

On ‎9‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 1:43 PM, ncc1701e said:

A squad in a vehicule is able to "ACQUIRE" some stuff, here Javelin launcher. But, is it possible for this squad to "UN-ACQUIRE" stuff?

For example, I would like the squad to drop its Javelin launcher plus missiles since all the AFVs in the area are now destroyed.

Is it possible?

Thanks

Shh, and if it was up to me, I wouldn't even have an 'Acquire Ammo' Command (or Ammo Depots) since stuff like this takes place in between Scenarios. But, everyone wanted it included in CM, and so we have it...It's just too much Ammo then anyone knows what to do with...Sigh.

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, a un-acquire command would be nice. In CMBN when a AT gun is knocked out and the ammo-bearers survive the ammo-bearers can only "waddle around" at a move pace. It's because they are packing around the now useless ammo. So much for using them as add-hoc infantry. Might as well just send them on a leisurely stroll to another AT gun from their unit and hope they can ammo share their way to weight loss. And as far as I know it has to be a gun from the same unit or it will not share the ammo. I will have test that theory some time.

13 hours ago, IronCat60 said:

And as far as I know it has to be a gun from the same unit or it will not share the ammo

Yep, they will only share if their immediate HQ is the same. In real life they would probably not be thrown into battle but withdraw to reform at a later time with new guns. So, having a penalty for using them as infantry is a bonus 🙂

14 hours ago, IronCat60 said:

Yep, a un-acquire command would be nice.  <Snip> 

as far as I know it has to be a gun from the same unit or it will not share the ammo. I will have test that theory some time.

I agree a more user friendly Acquire and a new un-Acquire command would be nice.  Maybe in CM3.   

4 hours ago, Erwin said:

That seems to be the way it is with mortars and HMG's.  Will be interesting to see if you confirm that.

Ammo sharing max distance is 16 meters (one open action spot between the sharing teams).  Generally to share ammo the teams must be in the same platoon.  The following is a way to identify what teams can share ammo:  Click on a team causing it to "highlight".  Zoom the camera out a bit and see what other teams are also highlighted.  These are the teams that can share ammo with each other.