Radio?

1 hour ago, weapon2010 said:

hmmm ,  it would make sense that you could based on being able to do it with heavy weapons

Apples and pears comparison though - I doubt your average WW2 infantryman was particularly familiar with a radio, which nets his unit was operating on, what callsigns and codewords were in use etc etc. However, it is a moot point given that, despite what the manual says about weapons and ammunition being recovered by buddy aid, someone seems to have done it.

I think this is to simulates that recovered equipement maybe damaged. Sometimes you can recover it, sometimes not. It's aleatory. 

Yeah some times they do some times they do not.  This is supposed to simulate damage to gear.  Or there could be a subtle bug if this always happens. The question that needs to be answered is does it always happen that way?  I have never really noticed the frequency this happens and I certainly have never tested it.

Link to IanL's post

Regards

To make sure I wasn't remembering wrong, I just tested this in CMFI by running an HQ into MG fire. When the Radio Operator went down, the radio disappeared from the unit's equipment panel. But when the CO Buddy Aided him, the radio reappeared in the UI equipment panel and the unit went back into radio C2. However, the CO didn't change graphically--the radio backpack didn't appear on him.

1 hour ago, General Liederkranz said:

But when the CO Buddy Aided him, the radio reappeared in the UI equipment panel and the unit went back into radio C2. However, the CO didn't change graphically--the radio backpack didn't appear on him.

Just out of curiosity, was the HQ still in radio C2 after moving (after the move was completed of course)?

Michael

2 hours ago, General Liederkranz said:

I just tested and it does (in this case a Waffen SS PzGd squad in CMFB recovered their platoon commander's radio).

Well, of course...We all know that 'Supermen' should have no problem doing this compared to the standard GI.Joe.

On a less serious-note...I think it's simply an over site on BF's part as I'm sure they had no intention of this happening.

On a more serious note...What Mod are you using, MOS, for Unit Base Markers ? Mine is similar (don't float like some of yours), but seems slightly larger and the green color is filled-in.

Edited by JoMc67

Another test, a US infantry squad in CMFI was able to Buddy Aid a radio from a fallen FO team and use it to establish radio-based C2 with their Platoon HQ. I don't know enough about radio frequencies, networks, or training to have any idea if this is realistic, or intended, but it's interesting. 

In any case it seems to me that regular riflemen picking up a radio is most often going to be a problem for players rather than an opportunity for unrealistic sleaze. When the Radio Operator goes down, I really want someone else in the Platoon HQ to pick it up. If I'm not watching carefully and a random rifleman Buddy Aids him, he can't transfer it back to the HQ. So that platoon is pretty much never going to re-establish radio C2 with the Company. 

This was pointed out here earlier:

33 minutes ago, General Liederkranz said:

Another test, a US infantry squad in CMFI was able to Buddy Aid a radio from a fallen FO team and use it to establish radio-based C2 with their Platoon HQ. I don't know enough about radio frequencies, networks, or training to have any idea if this is realistic, or intended, but it's interesting

Yeah, I don't care if a standard grunt picks-up a Radio, but being able to use it to establish radio contact is another issue altogether.

Edited by JoMc67

On 1/6/2018 at 5:06 PM, JoMc67 said:

On a more serious note...What Mod are you using, MOS, for Unit Base Markers ? Mine is similar (don't float like some of yours), but seems slightly larger and the green color is filled-in.

Sorry, I didn't reply sooner. If you tag me in the post I will get a notification after I log in and will try to respond ASAP.  I didn't see the question until today. :)

They were made by @Vein (Vein's base markers)  This is also where the red blood spot comes from for casualties.  I think some of the green base markers seemed to float because of the bocage berm behind the team.  They are normally on the ground as in the third screenshot.   I use them in all the CM titles including CM Afghanistan.  One of my favorite mods. 

On January 6, 2018 at 3:22 PM, Vanir Ausf B said:

Are they extremely heavy, so that months of specialize strength training would be required to lift one?

The backpack radios had a battery that was, I think, the size and weight of a car battery. I think that after a day of lugging that around, you'd know you'd done a day's work.

Michael

Not sure that should be so for infantry units, it was my impression that manpack radios were only issued to company HQs.....German radio gear was bulky unreliable and primitive compared to what the US used**.

See discussion here:  http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=33690

Some interesting related documents (swiped straight from Wiki):

https://www.nonstopsystems.com/radio/pdf-hell/TME-11-227-german-radio-com-equipmnt.pdf

https://www.nonstopsystems.com/radio/pdf-hell/article-hdbk-TM-E-30-451.pdf

** Following up on this, apparently by late 44 they had some very good gear including a short (2km) ranged set that was nominally useable as a platoon radio.....However they don't seem to have been issued in the numbers required for that (still researching).

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead