Dibs on Mortain! Designing Scenarios? Lets Talk.

Guest Frankrad

Guest Frankrad

Just thought I'd start a thread here on everyone's scenarios ideas. I plan do one on the grisly and unheralded firefight in around the town of Mortain. As you know, the 30th Infantry Division held off four elite divisions (including LAH, Greyhounds, and Das Reich) of German troops to preserve the breakhout. So I got Dibs! j/k

But are any of you planning on certain scenarios or battles? It would be great to know so we can help each other out and not reduplicate our efforts. For example, I would like to do Baraque de Fraiture (a.k.a. Woody's crossroads), or the engagement at Ambleve/Stavelot, where Peiper had it comin'. Any of you guys planning certain battles?

Frank

Apart from the recreation of KGWilk ( home.sol.no/~paaar/kgwilk ), I want to make a scenario from an old movie ("Last bridge across the Rhine", or something). I don't remember much, but there was this scene where a platoon of Shermans had to advance along a narrow road next to a river and then cross the river on a railroad bridge, while being under direct fire from a pair of 88's! I think they succeeded (it was an American movie, after all biggrin.gif), but I'd like to simulate it in CM!

Hawk

------------------

Our's is not to reason "why", our's is but to do and die!

Been thinking the fight for Hill 400 would be a good one (December 7-8, 1944; Hurtgen Forest) --- 2nd Ranger Batt. assault, and then defend, against heavy German resistance.

The battles in and around Hatten-Rittershoffen (Jan '45, near Strasbourg) were also pretty intense: The 25th Panzer Grenadier Div and 21st Panzer Div counter-attack resulted in weeks of heavily contested (by the 79th and 42nd Inf and 14th Armored Divisions) fighting --- yet the Bulge got all the press...

Oh, and maybe something just for fun with the BEF --- the Brasilian Expeditionary Force!

Guest gyrene251

I hope to design scenarios involving Task Force Herren (2nd Bn, 274th). The battle for Wingen, Jan 4 - 6, 1945. The 2nd Bn was awarded a Presidential Unit Citation for defeating 2 battalions of the 6th SS Mountain Division (Nord). For the 2nd Battalion 274th, it was their baptism of fire! Wingen is located in NE France. Another is Oeting and Forbach (Feb 1945) and Spicheren Heights (Feb 1945).

I was planning a 'remake' of the boardgame "Objective Schmidt." It focuses on the US 112th Infantry Regiment's assault on the town of Schmidt, and the German counterattacks by the 89th Infantry and 116th PzDivision from November 2nd to 6th, 1944 taking place in the Hurtgen forest.

I hope I don't need to cut down on the scale.

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RobVarak:

I'm hoping to do one on the capture of Schwammenauel dam. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

confused.gif Hu, I did not even know that existed, let alone that anyone ever thought of capturing it. Sounds like the infantry defending it should sing 'Wadde hadde dudde da'... Is that one of the Roer dams? That would be interesting. Methinks the Hürtgenwald battles are not very well known in Germany, BTW. Could just be me, maybe some other Germans here could comment on that. My grandfather remembered them from what he heard about it in Denmark.

BIF, Any guesses for who is going to capture the Eurovision this year?

------------------

Andreas

Hawk, the movie was Bridge at Remagen IIRC, and I think the tanks were Chafees, but it was a seriously cool intro to the movie wasn't it.

Joe

------------------

"Son," says I to him, "you're a Dragon. And a Dragon ACTS like a Dragon or he doesn't act at all."

Smrgol, Dragon

Guest Ol' Blood & Guts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Greg Scurlock:

I don't know anything about making scenarios but it would be great if one of you tallented folks would would make an "operation" based on the movie "When Trumpets Fade". That would be too much fun.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeh, that would be great. But first, we gotta figure out what type of tanks those were "supposed" to be. I'm thinking maybe PzIVJ's.

But then we gotta simulate our CO shooting a deserting flamethrower unit. wink.gif

But as far as creating an operation, are you considering to do a skirmish for every battlescene in the movie?

------------------

"Why don't we say that we took this one chance, and fought!"

"Stupid humans. Hahahahahahaha!"

--from the film Battlefield Earth

The battle for Ortona. Yes, I know it's in Italy, but I only need Canadians, German paratroops, a gully ,a city and an idiot for a Canadian commander (me?). If I can find some decent maps and figure out the editor it should be one hellacool operation.

Craig (typing in the middle of a blizzard)

Guest tom w

What I'ld like to know is who is going to Do "Kelly's Heroes"

Was there not some discussion of a "Von Kelly's Hereos"? Scenario?

Sure thats a Fair fight wink.gif

Three Shermans vs Three Tiger's???

any way I'm sure we are all dreaming of getting our hands on the Scenario Designer after it's release there will be SO many

new and wonderful scenarios we'll never find

the time to play them all!

-tom w

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ol' Blood & Guts:

Yeh, that would be great. But first, we gotta figure out what type of tanks those were "supposed" to be. I'm thinking maybe PzIVJ's.

But then we gotta simulate our CO shooting a deserting flamethrower unit. wink.gif

But as far as creating an operation, are you considering to do a skirmish for every battlescene in the movie?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I guess I was just thinking about creating an operation about that whole H******* (can't spell it) Forrest battle. It seemed to stretch over a couple days.

Don't worry about it if someone posts "your" scenario first. You can always do a better version.

As for me, I'm just going to pick and choose from appropriate-scaled battles in some of the books I have.

I also won't resist the urge to do fictional battles, inclding a "Suburban Hell" scenario set in my very own neighborhood.

The fighting for the central parts of Hürtgen lasted from about the 6th of October (9th division attacks towards Germeter) to early December (CCR 5AD takes Bergstein on the 3d), two months that is...

Lots of interesting opportunities for scenarios and even an operation or two. Not a thing you just slap together though...

Go for the real battles instead of trying to recreate the movie. After all, is there any scene in there that is worth wasting CM´s capacity on?

M.

I know that I am going to be making a lot of scenarios... almost all of them are going to be made up... mostly for game play value... I'm hoping to put a web-page up with my creations once the game comes out... I have some really nasty ideas wink.gif (to remain secret for FOW issues smile.gif)

-EridanMan

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Aacooper:

I also won't resist the urge to do fictional battles, inclding a "Suburban Hell" scenario set in my very own neighborhood.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Great idea...

I've been looking at the terrain around my neighborhood with an eye for defensive positions. It might be a good time to plan the assualt on my apartment complex.

-Lurker

Well everybody seems to be doing popular and exciting scenarios, so I think there'll be a niche market for the more usual battles.

I've got the War Diary and the scrapbook of the 10th battalion Highland Light Infantry: All the maps are in, describing the terrain and manoevers from the 13th of June until the occupation of Lubeck. My maternal grandfather fought with them from beginning to end, so I have a vested interest in designing these.

I've got the divisional records of the 15th Scottish Division too, but these are necessarily more general.

Anyway, no King Tigers here; or epic struggles, but these battles have their place in history.... and at least I won't be making duplicates smile.gif

Got dibs on Driel (1st Pol. Abn.), and the Falaise Gap with the 1st Pol. Amd.! wink.gif

The demo now only freezes two turns into a scenario! smile.gif

Amazing jobs BTS, I am sincerely impressed with sounds, etc. biggrin.gif

------------------

Sosabowski, 1st Pol. Abn.

Yes, I know my name is spelled wrong as a member!