Average CM addict, married, 25+ years old?

Hey to JD Morse: Good to see another CM'er who's 49! I'm an executive marketing manager for a Boston publishing company, married, with a 9-year old son and a fawn-colored pug named BABS. I'm a devoted reader of Civil War histories and an occasional Union Army reenactor. I also love garden design and the Japanese tea ceremony when I'm not incinerating computer-controlled attackers in CM, which is hands-down the finest war game I've ever played.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Geez, might as well keep this going.

36, married (6 years), 2 ruggers-2 1/2 year old girl, 2 month old boy. Both WILL play CM someday.

Spent four years as a US Army paratrooper.

Heavy Anti-Armor Weapons Crewman (TOW).

College after that. Been wargaming forever-many old AH and SPI titles.

Best game going---period. wink.gif

------------------

Land Soft--Kill Quiet

36 years old & married for 4 months (And they said it would not last) My wife does not know what Combat Mission is-its just the usual "Are you on the computer again?".

But she is a perfect wife for a military geek such as myself. Her father was on the USS West Virginia at Pearl Harbor so she is a history buff too. On my last birthday she bought me a German WW2 helmet with a Camo Cover, the birthday before I got a US helmet with a mesh cover. She is a keeper.

Well, I'm 38 an just recently got back from my 20yr high school reunion. I discovered CM cause I was knocked outta work for two months because of it an surfing the web for stuff an eating gerbil chips an ran across it. At the reunion it so happened that we had a little fun golf tourney before the reunion main events later that night. Long story made kinda short, driver of golf cart unit swerved much, GFogman went flying (forgetting tuck-n-roll concept)an destroyed left knee with major damage. Thanx Charles, Steve an Jimmy Beam for aiding in my recovery. smile.gif

*** Golf IS a Contact Sport ***

------------------

Thanks for Athskin!

35, married, a 4 1/2 year old son born on Valentine's day. Two cats, one white (OK, most of the time she is off-white), one black with a white diamond on his chest and thumbs on his front paws. Oracle database administrator in Halifax, on the East coast of Canada. B.A. Psychology too, hoping it would help me understand people. Ha.

I started playing strategy games in grade 10, with SPI's Panzer '44. Played many of the AH games since (including one called something like Cosmos 3000), AD&D before the DM Guide was released for the first time, before it really went commercial (and quality dropped), played Squad Leader, ASL, Star Fleet Battles, G.E.V. and Ogre, Car Wars, etc. throughout late High School and well into my undergrad degree. I liked Harn a lot and Rolemaster, AH's Titan, and the Illuminati card game. For a while, collected a few sets of Microarmour.

Played with toys in the seventies and early eighties that are now worth big bucks on eBay (e.g. Space 1999 stun gun and a Dinky Space 1999 Eagle), but I don't have any of them anymore. My father threw out my complete collection of hockey cards from the 1972-73 season. I have no idea how much that would be worth today.

Oh I saw the Space Shuttled perched on top of a Boeing 747, like in the James Bond movie, at the Ottawa airport. Really impressive.

'nough said about me.

(Pat climbs on soapbox)

The only advice for teenagers is: Live now, don't put things off, try to be responsible, and be yourself. When you are on your deathbed, will you have at least attempted all the things that were important to you. You may get hit by a bus tomorrow, are you ready?

I used to have high hopes for my future in life, but the more time passes, the more I learn, the more disillusioned I become. The less I take for granted that people will do the right things. Is that wisdom? (I doubt it, often I don't know what to do to help people.)

(Pat is kicked off the soapbox)

smile.gif

This thread is turning into a testimonials thread.

Shame on me for not posting to this thread before and keeping the KIWI banner flying.

65 in Nov.Married 42 of them, no regrets. Jean does not like computers so that is one thing I do not have to share.

Really enjoy Pbem and have had some fun with great opponents.

Rob over and out.

Regards

------------------

Gramps

27, not married but girlfriend for 3 years.

It really seems the average is higher than usual, well it is not Quake, is it?

Hey for you German speaking addicts out there, check out http://members.tripod.com/~tschwarzer/ktb-tit.htm

und lest das Kriegstagebuch. Da will ich doch gleich meinen Usernamenaendern. Traurige Sache, das ganze.

------------------

Guest MikeToth

........... 43 years old, married, one teenage daughter, a dog 4 cats and 3 goldfish......... Oracle Software Engineer...

oh yeah, wife is going to Myrtle Beach with her sisters and kid is going to her mother's house for the weekend, it will be CM heaven this weekend!!!!!!

Mike

Cleveland Ohio

28, married (My wife and I were born on the same day. She's 12 hours older... I sometimes joke that I like "older women") and have been playing wargames since 1985, but didn't join the computer ranks until 1990.

Odd college/career path... I have a PoliSci degree and want to be a history teacher, but am currently working in traffic engineering!

------------------

“Out in front every one is holding out. Every one. My grenadiers and my engineers and my tank crews – they’re all holding their ground. Not a single man is leaving his post. They are lying silent in their foxholes for they are dead.” – Gen. Fritz Bayerlein on an order to hold his position

46 and married for one year and one in the oven. Retired FA, now a computer and business teacher. Gamer since Avalon Hill Africa Korp and the LIFE magazine pictures of the 67 war!

Living in the Gulf, wife thinks CM is "nice"

CM is the best to come along spread it to friends.

28 year old male, have live-in girlfriend who says "I spend too much time in front of the computer". I told her if she would learn how to play CM that I would get her a diamond ring. Sooo I've since spliced the cable wire into the bedroom so she can watch TV in there while I play CM. No Diamond ring either smile.gif. She's bothered by the lack of attention. The attention she does get is interupted each time one of my PBEM oppoents returns an email because I immediately detach myself from the mindless conversation she started, do my side of the turn, send back the email, then while she continues to tell me about her boring story I'm contiplating if I made the right moves or not on the turn I just sent back to my opponent. Do we have a problem?? Hey at least we're not getting drunk and beating on them. Get drunk and beat on your opponent instead smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Captain Manieri:

Whoa. Are Colin and I the only teenagers at this BBS? I'm 16. Seems like there are all old people here!! frown.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No you aren't, I'm 15 love the game (introduced to me by my dad - who also loves the game) - The game however is causing quite a few family problems, My dad doesn't get to bed on time, and the problems even worse for me - I'm here at 1AM in the morning trying to keep up with my PBEM ers overseas smile.gif + trying to post on this stupid forum

------------------

"Your Mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries"

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by patboivin:

...Played with toys in the seventies and early eighties that are now worth big bucks on eBay (e.g. Space 1999 stun gun and a Dinky Space 1999 Eagle), but I don't have any of them anymore...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cool!! I also had a metal(Dinky?) Eagle, with detachable cargo-holder. Also had a plastic model one, but that one didn't survive as long as the metal one.

When we played "Space 1999" everyone wanted to be Alan Carter - how cool wasn't he?!?! smile.gif

Remember the remote-controls they had? Parents in the neigbourhood were very confused that TV-remotes kept disappearing... biggrin.gif

Oh, how much we wanted those guns! We had to build our own.