Black Sea Expansion - VDV hype!

I watched today's southfront and I had exactly same motion. I wanted to come to the forum and ask about getting VDV in to  the game, even as something small, no maps just units expansions. I am guessing there were some news about actual expansion coming out, great. Also I would love to get some of the other NATO members in. And since decomposition of the front line combat becomes more hit and run, small group operations, I would love to get VDV fallowed by special operation groups from NATO states. And, not to be demanding but, a new artillery type - MLRS - would be awesome too. 

On ‎16‎-‎04‎-‎2016 at 5:40 PM, VladimirTarasov said:

I'm looking forward to the BMD-4M equipped units, I'm pretty hyped about other expansions as I've already grown tired of the in game units. Maybe next year we can get a T-14 expansion :D

Indeed. Would absolutely love to see the Armata series in the game.

Also, it would be nice to see the VDV equipped with small arms like the AK-12 or A-545 for flavour.

Ahh yes the VDV song! Perhaps the greatest music video ever made? Surely the VDV's proudest moment, one they'll be hard pressed to ever top, in peacetime or war! One thing is for sure, Captain Malashenko bursts with pride whenever he hears it!

XEblJLh.jpg

(Pictured: Cpt Malashenko bursting with pride, just prior to liberating West Berlin, 1989)

5 hours ago, IICptMillerII said:

Ahh yes the VDV song! Perhaps the greatest music video ever made? Surely the VDV's proudest moment, one they'll be hard pressed to ever top, in peacetime or war! One thing is for sure, Captain Malashenko bursts with pride whenever he hears it!

XEblJLh.jpg

(Pictured: Cpt Malashenko bursting with pride, just prior to liberating West Berlin, 1989)

Pfffft.  Nothing compares to the universal paratrooper song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=It2jlKdeJI4

7 hours ago, panzersaurkrautwerfer said:

Pfffft.  Nothing compares to the universal paratrooper song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=It2jlKdeJI4

Its a good start. Needs more dancing VDV though.

7 hours ago, Currahee150 said:

Pretty sure you have your time lines mixed up...

or...is it a hint at CM: Fulda Gap?!?!

The date is no mistake!

Not a hint for CM: Fulda Gap. I have no insider info. But keep the faith brother! One day we will get the CM Cold War game we dream of!

In the mean time, Chest' i khvala!

11 minutes ago, Raptorx7 said:

You can't post that picture without the entire scene man!

"WE WILL TEACH THOSE NATO DOGS HOW TO FIGHT!"

;)

I highly recommend this game by the way.

Edit: Whats the name of the song playing, I have heard it before?

Good point, comrade!

One of my favorite games, second only to CM of course! ;)

This is the song that is playing in the background:

Edited by IICptMillerII

I think the only game that I played more than or equal to CM was WiC. I don't know why, but as a kid I literally played some missions until the scripting broke.

I don't even know how that happened, but it did.

Multi was fun too. Some minor gripes were the games notion that the Chieftain was an Anti-infantry tank (HAHAHAHA); the Mi-28 was as plentiful as the AH-64; and the game never explored battles on the central front. Still on of my faves of all time. They need to make a WiC 2. Like, now. 

Also, I think the games marketing quote "In August 1989, the Cold War was supposed to end. It didn't," was...prophetic, shall we say.

Edited by Currahee150

I loved WIC.  Like it in my opinion remains the best Cold War game simply because it captures the feel so well.  The Wargames series is sort of okay in a realism lite way, but it totally fails to have any personality.

However speaking as someone who grew up where some of the game took place, the map geography was amusing (although the Kingdome got a better send off in WIC than reality).  

23 hours ago, VladimirTarasov said:

You lads wouldn't happen to be partisans behind NATO lines would you? :D 

I was the one still calling B-52 strikes on the Soviets as they tried to surrender.  The only good communist is a dead communist.  Remember Cascade Falls. Death to the hated aggressor war criminal Soviet military.  WOLVERINES.   

4 hours ago, panzersaurkrautwerfer said:

I loved WIC.  Like it in my opinion remains the best Cold War game simply because it captures the feel so well.  The Wargames series is sort of okay in a realism lite way, but it totally fails to have any personality.

However speaking as someone who grew up where some of the game took place, the map geography was amusing (although the Kingdome got a better send off in WIC than reality).  

I was the one still calling B-52 strikes on the Soviets as they tried to surrender.  The only good communist is a dead communist.  Remember Cascade Falls. Death to the hated aggressor war criminal Soviet military.  WOLVERINES.   

Bless you, sir.

I agree completely with you in reference to WiC vs Wargame. WiC had such a great story and fantastic missions. I usually do a playthrough once a year which usually coincides with a re-read of Team Yankee. 

There are numerous employments of VDV in the game, such as during mission 2: 'Reunion' there are VDV paratroopers in a number of houses marked as rally points. Then in the next mission: 'Pine Valley' the initial resistance in the town is VDV. 

Remember Cascade Falls, Cpt Bannon, and the men of Charlie Company!

(For reals though, 'Pine Valley' is such a good mission. Easily my favorite. The USS Missouri showing up at the end is too epic)

I'm torn in a lot of ways in terms of favorite missions, Pine Valley was awesome because at the end of it, all you've really got is a scorched ruined pile of rubble and some roads.  But it's not at all scripted, it's just the inevitable outcome of a shootout between tanks and a boatload of artillery.  On the other hand, the last mission really just feels perched on the edge of destruction, and as the B-52s swoop in to cut things up and give your tanks some breathing room, it just was pretty awesome for a mere video game.

It's really again where Wargames totally failed to be a Cold War game.  It's not about having all the T-62 models neatly arrayed, or ensuring you can play as Norway, it's about capturing what would have likely been the most destructive event in human history.  And it just did not resonate as you pushed blobs of tanks across nearly flat pristine fields, and even the artillery spam felt less apocalyptic and more just yet more idiot cheese tactics from the RTS crowd.    

I think Combat Mission would do it right because it'd skip out on having a million units and stick to the ones that counted (or what place does a base model T-55 in a 1986 Fulda Gap game?), and the lethality of CMBS would be only little reduced.  It might not capture Cascade Falls, but it would certainly be the various problemsets faced by NATO or Warsaw Pact elements, stripped of idiot spam tactics.  

If the mission didn't have M1A1s, it wasn't my favorite mission. :D

Another thing I used to do on the missions where you were fighting in Murmansk was I would use LGBs to LEVEL EVERY BUILDING ON THE MAP. And trains. And trees. And apartment complexes that may or may not have held Malashenko's wife and child. NOTHING WILL BE LEFT FOR THE COMMUNISTS TO USE.

I agree that I don't think I've met another game that really captured the 'feel' of the cold war than WiC. Going a bit OT, some of the Call of Duty's captured the feel of their setting pretty well - World at War felt like the apocalypse, and Black Ops I perfectly captured Cold War paranoia. MW2 presented a nice 'Red Dawn' like scenario (even if it was impossible). The other ones may have well been 'lets go around the world and shoot terrorists'. In general, the gameplay may be good, but what makes a game a classic is how well it captures the 'mood.'

As for wargame...I booted it up a few weeks ago, and it was fun to march around with M1A2s, COMVATs, and AH-64Ds...but its still a bit disappointing because that really isn't close to what it would have actually been like. And the music wasn't epic enough. I still play the WiC Musial score in my head when drama is required. 

Edited by Currahee150

Great thread, though I've had no experience with most of the games referenced. The Captain Malashenko stuff is pretty cool (don't know what to make of the turret on his AFV; bedrolls, maybe?), but the VDV song lacks, I feel, the lyrical qualities and power of Lube's "Kombat" (admittedly not an official song), Germany's "Panzer Lied" (no idea what they sing these days, and am skipping the vid, since practically everyonbe knows the song anyway)) or, for that matter the US Army's former mainstay "The Caisson Song" (now bowdlerized to "The Army Goes Rolling Along," a poor version of the original FA based one). The COMVAT business sent me straight to Google, where I found this, which contains a link to the actual basis of the weapon, which I'd not heard of until today.

https://www.reddit.com/r/wargame/comments/2bd9f5/basis_for_american_comvat/ 

"Kombat"

"The Caisson Song"

Regards,

John Kettler

It occurs to me I should also have posted the US equivalent to the VDV song. While it's not as rollicking, it most definitely speaks to the hazards of, as the saying goes, "jumping out of perfectly good airplanes." Here is "Blood On the Risers." It's been around since at least WW II. The 101st Airborne's Donald Burgett, who jumped at Normandy and wrote Currahee!, talks about hearing it on the way to his first training jump. Dad taught it to us when we were kids--and he was Navy!

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

In attempting to locate info on a Russian test drop of a fully crewed (including a squad of infantry) MRAP type vehicle, I came across this, which features GoPro™ footage of a BMD-2 drop, as well as combat exercise footage with these AFVs and supporting infantry. Unfortunately, there is no direct links to one of the videos.

https://www.rt.com/news/204059-serbia-bmd2-vehicles-paradrop/

But this one is pure gold. A not so young British correspondent, James Brown (whom we meet after preliminary training, including the 40 meter tower jump) goes through all the rest of the stages of VDV training, including  a brutal obstacle course, live fire infantry and combined arms exercises, close combat and a full-on mass jump. This is the how-to on the way the VDV operates, though I'm sure they didn't show him everything in the toy box. All in all, an amazing documentary!

But if we get the VDV, will these ladies be included?

Somehow, I doubt it.

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

I think this is what was airdropped, but  I have a recollection that the AFV's name started with "R," not the "T" of Typhoon. Do our Russian or Ukrainian Members have any info on the vehicle ID I'm trying to make? Those who made that drop were deemed even more macho (may've been decorated, too) than their VDV fellows ! In any event, the VDV apparently had a major hand in the KAMAZ 53949 Typhoon-K.

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler