Black Sea Expansion - VDV hype!

1 minute ago, Sublime said:

I had WiC plus the expansion. Got it for 20 years ago in a bargain bin loved it. Does anyone know anywhere i can get it cheap online possibly wih a download?

Steam has World in Conflict and its expansion Soviet Assault for 10$, I own it on there and its worth it. If I remember correctly though you may have to troubleshoot a bit if your on Windows 7, but its easy to do.

Windows ten now. Got sick of microsoft essentially nagging me continously and basically forcing me to get the latest windows. Ten bucks huh. Im buying it. I always sucked online but ill play sp and get back in a groove. Still loved allnthe units and nukes felt like nukes.

Anyone remember Total Annihilation ajd its upgrade pack? Best RTS i ever played imo. Had good miltiplayer and maps. Good force balance.  Great times.

You could have these fantastic land sea and air battles and it qas verry advamced for a game from.97 98. You could order planes to patrol like a CAP etc.

Nukes in TA rlly felt like nukes too. As opposed to Command and Conquer (forget the name my fav one with soviets vs allies with tesla coils etc) nukes that were lame.

• 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, Jammersix said:

I want an AI I can only beat 20% of the time.

Before you tell me it can't be done, remember when CM on the Mac couldn't be done.

Uhmm, those two engineering feats are not really in the same ball park.... ;)
You could always try and only play CM when really drunk, that might up the AI's chances quite a bit :P

Re the video;

That was really cool to see. The Mi-26 sure is one enormous beast. :)

Even more VDV action:

Russian troops in combat drills

Edited by TJT
Added video link

I remember when the ballpark was just a vacant lot.

Of course, if you keep telling yourself you can't do it, well, then, you can't.

But someone will.

You're right about one thing, though. They used to blame Apple for everything, before they just shut up and coded. And this is the same thing.

Edited by Jammersix

TA was superb. The tac AI was great. Relied on weight of fire but boy it could be a terror. H2H was crazy,  often had to rule no turtling (ie no dragons teeth).

The CAP function was a life saver. I'd put fighter &  bomber groups in the air, circling until an attack comes in. Then fighters go in and the bombers would lay those amazing carpet runs, crisscross, debris flying high. Talk about rear echelon interdiction made real. And those air transports, man. And the BFGs harassing OpFor base. Once a shot landed in your own base it was OH **** time. I had some very, very long games where it came down to big berthas firing huge rounds at each other,  arcing fire over hundreds of meleeing units. Forest Map's were the best, trees catching fire from  Arty explosions. 

What a brilliant game. 

Edited by kinophile

Ya kino the air to air options and stuff you could do with weapons and also the level of detail and graphics for its time were bar none. H2h games were the best. The Core Commander expansion was so worth it like 20 bucks for 150 new units and maps..

17 hours ago, Codename Duchess said:

I don't think any game will ever knock WiC off of its current place as my favorite game. I would do anything, ANYTHING, for a sequel.

Cpt. Bannon man, the feels.

Agreed. WiC was a very special game. It's a shame that the company closed down. Colonel Orlovsky and Major Lebedyev were absolutely lovely, especially Orlovsky with his warm voice.