Greetings all! Newbie here

15 hours ago, gnarly said:

LOL, play Black Sea, and you have to very rapidly accept the mindset that vehicles will fireball Pretty Damn Quick, and often with no visuals (or even idea) on the enemy unit (and if you are really unlucky, no idea even of the ordnance involved!!!). Otherwise a/. your head will end up in the monitor or b/. the monitor will end up wrapped around your head..... :o

After that, the plinking and brew-ups in the WW2 titles are quite mild in comparison! :P

Welcome aboard Banjohero.

Anyone who has seen a BMP-3 explode in Black Sea knows what gnarly is talking about!

On 4/18/2016 at 2:02 PM, Bulletpoint said:

I really recommend everybody try not to save and reload all the time to maximise success. It can be tempting, but the game is much more tense when you know your every decision matters and you have to live with the consequences.

Im so bad at this that it keeps m from completing campaigns, mostly bothers me when i loose men out of game quirks =/.

8 minutes ago, iluvmy88 said:

Im so bad at this that it keeps m from completing campaigns, mostly bothers me when i loose men out of game quirks =/.

Well if I lose a lot of men due to a quirk, I might reload, but I don't save often, so I could lose hours of gameplay. But having a squad run the wrong way around and get killed because of apparent gaps in hedgerow that don't actually work, etc. that drives me nuts. And I think it's very OK to reload in that case.

31 minutes ago, Bulletpoint said:

Well if I lose a lot of men due to a quirk, I might reload, but I don't save often, so I could lose hours of gameplay. But having a squad run the wrong way around and get killed because of apparent gaps in hedgerow that don't actually work, etc. that drives me nuts. And I think it's very OK to reload in that case.

I try to save in 10 minute increments just in case the unthinkable happens (a rare crash, power goes out in the neighborhood, etc.). I'm REALLY working on accepting my losses but like you I want to shout to the Heavens when tanks drive like they're drunk from pathfinding and expose their flank (and in some cases the rear end) to an enemy who normally could not take that tank out but receive a gift when that happens. The hedgerow thing bugs me when I can't see the gap (like in the low hedgerows for example). Low hedges and low bocage look so alike that I've killed more than my share of men thinking I could traverse through it and instead they run for the "gap" and die.

1 hour ago, [MyIS] Buffpuff said:

I try to save in 10 minute increments just in case the unthinkable happens (a rare crash, power goes out in the neighborhood, etc.). I'm REALLY working on accepting my losses but like you I want to shout to the Heavens when tanks drive like they're drunk from pathfinding and expose their flank (and in some cases the rear end) to an enemy who normally could not take that tank out but receive a gift when that happens. The hedgerow thing bugs me when I can't see the gap (like in the low hedgerows for example). Low hedges and low bocage look so alike that I've killed more than my share of men thinking I could traverse through it and instead they run for the "gap" and die.

You might find this post by Baneman helpful to differentiate between High Bocage, Low Bocage and Hedges:

As for tank path finding - my recommendation is unless you want them moving in a straight line over clear terrain, you need to use more waypoints to guide them. It's incredibly rare that I am unhappy with vehicle pathing, and the usual reason I am is because I didn't break down the movement orders sufficiently. It takes some experience but I'm sure you will get the hang of it. :)

1 hour ago, Bud Backer said:

You might find this post by Baneman helpful to differentiate between High Bocage, Low Bocage and Hedges:

As for tank path finding - my recommendation is unless you want them moving in a straight line over clear terrain, you need to use more waypoints to guide them. It's incredibly rare that I am unhappy with vehicle pathing, and the usual reason I am is because I didn't break down the movement orders sufficiently. It takes some experience but I'm sure you will get the hang of it. :)

"Tanks" for the hints Bud. LOL!

One of the first things I did when I was new to the game was to go into the scenario editor and create a mini map, then took a screenshot similar to the one shown in Baneman's post. Another good way to tell the difference between the three types of hedgerow is to go up to camera level 6 and look down on them, the difference in thickness is clearly visible.

8 hours ago, Bulletpoint said:

I've learnt to recognise bocage from hedge, but even after years of (quite intensive) playing, I'm still sometimes not sure if there's a gap in a hedgerow or not.

as long as it doesnt have the dirt on the bottom HE can destroy it as well, not sure blow a hole =D. or just satchel charge of couse

22 hours ago, Bulletpoint said:

I've learnt to recognise bocage from hedge, but even after years of (quite intensive) playing, I'm still sometimes not sure if there's a gap in a hedgerow or not.

Yes, that can be tricky at times. Again I find going up to camera level 6 pretty useful. Some designers do use a dirt tile to replicate the use of gaps in the hedgerows by the local farmers, which certainly helps to spot them. 

5 hours ago, Warts 'n' all said:

Yes, that can be tricky at times. Again I find going up to camera level 6 pretty useful. Some designers do use a dirt tile to replicate the use of gaps in the hedgerows by the local farmers, which certainly helps to spot them. 

Playing a Bloody Ride campaign and that little dirt spot along with Camera 6 has IMMENSELY helped in spotting the gaps on some of the maps I've played on so far. Now if only I could figure out how to beat that mission "The Spotter Must Die". Artillery is just pounding me despite my attempts at attacking from different avenues and splitting squads.

Camera level 6?  OK cool I spend no time above 4 except when taking map overview screen shots.  My way of doing it is camera level 1 and run the hedge row.  I'm going to have to try looking at it the other way. I agree a dirt or mud tile under the gaps is a great way for the map designer to help us out.

Personally I don't think there is any need to make the gap wider. It is an accurate representation of the kind of gaps which occur on small holdings, pigs being lead from copse to copse, a farmer pushing a barrow, or his sproggs coming home from school via the fields etc. If you make the gaps any wider then you are creating a gateway. There might be a case to argue that the low hedgerow graphic is tightened up to prevent players from mistaking a "non-gap" for a gap. But really, if you are having a problem with gaps in hedgerows the answer is to study the map during the set-up phase. 

Edited by Warts 'n' all

Warts 'n' all,

I got massacred in 'A New Dawn" in CMBN because apparent gaps in the bocage weren't, resulting in a parade of men going around, to the wrong place, while being sleeted with MG fire. This was after careful recon at eyeball level. Things may've gotten better under 3.1 or whatever we're under now, but when I played that scenario under 2.11(?), it was ugly.

Regards,

John Kettler

Were you playing as the Axis or the Allies? And were you playing a human opponent or against the A.I?

I only have CMBN on 2.12 I haven't upgraded to the v.3 engine. I've just taken a look at my log to see how I got on when I played this mission against the A.I.

Axis:- Minor Victory....  K.I.A. - 4 W.I.A. - 9

Allies:- Tactical Victory..... No Casualties