CMFB Bonus Beta AAR ( Axis )

Nearer the town, the Armoured Car Platoon HQ drove down to the village, masking himself from the quad-50 to see up the far hillside. This was rewarded when he saw an M8 on the hill ( as they 231 was dying ). He fired and penetrated, but it reversed away while his crew frantically reloaded. They ended the turn about to fire. Will they get off another shot ???

CMFB 090 death of a 231.jpg

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, what a see-saw battle!

The way this is going at the end you each will have a guy with an empty rifle swinging at one another!!

More seriously, have you done an estimate of what each of you have remaining? Do you have a feel whether one of you has take more losses? 

Edited by Bud_B

However, before the Canister-M8 had been destroyed, I had crawled my schreck team out of their house to threaten it. It died before they were outside. Their orders then were to cross the street and go to the top of the tall building to get eyes on the right hand hillside.

CMFB 090 ht1.jpg

Yes, a lot of fire still and that end row is still lethal to anyone. I thought I'd pre-empt a new push on it by running the single survivor of the original quad-50 flak attack on Sturm's House, but he died without doing more than confirming there are still Americans in the cemetery.

However, at the end of the turn, my left hand mortar track arrives in position.

CMFB 090 mortar1.jpg

Which put them into a surprisingly good position at the end of the turn...
Projectile in flight, cliffhanger mode engaged...

CMFB 090 ht2.jpg

"Holy Crap, Hans, call your freaking shots!!!"...Rolf shouts as he pats out the flames on his smock from the backblast of the 'schrek.

Hans chuckles under his breath.  He doesn't much care for Rolf.  Those smart clowns from Berlin...they think their flatulence smells like roses.

Nice cliff hanger.  Screen shots are great.  I really like the fog effect.

Heinrich505

"Holy Crap, Hans, call your freaking shots!!!"...Rolf shouts as he pats out the flames on his smock from the backblast of the 'schrek.

Hans chuckles under his breath.  He doesn't much care for Rolf.  Those smart clowns from Berlin...they think their flatulence smells like roses.

Nice cliff hanger.  Screen shots are great.  I really like the fog effect.

Heinrich505

Ahm..., Heinrich505, a neighbor of mine reported precisely an incident like that in 1945, the poor guy behind the weapon was badly burned and died later.

+1 to the screenshots, they look much better now. In addition, I have the impression that the shadows are less intensive now, which is perfectly right. I just have that diffuse and foggy kind of winter lighting here - no noticeable shadows from trees, houses or fenceposts. Just bushes and vehicles have a diffuse shadow directly underneath. But it might be too much effort to tweak all this in relation to the lighting - and shadows are always helpful to determine the depth of an object in the scene.

Hank24,

I've read occasional accounts relating to the injury of the loader or other troops behind the weapon when the weapon was fired.  Don't have any written doctrine to go by but I'd figure the loader had the responsibility to duck after he signaled the gunner that the weapon was loaded.  The gunner is focused on lining up the target.

Ideally the weapon would be fired with a large open area behind it to minimize potential casualties - not always possible in close confines for city fighting.  Collateral damage from friendly fire is always a bad thing. 

Sorry to hear about your neighbor's friend.  It is always good to have personal accounts that relate to our pixeltruppen and their struggles.  It increases the immersion factor and makes the game seem a little less like a game at times.

The Leaping Horseman.  Nice one.  Kind of goes hand in hand with the 71st Infantry Division Kleeblatt.  Both ended up in the same terrible place.  Do you read books by Jason Mark?

Heinrich505

Was ist loss hier?  Why are the flame troops not opening up?  Vee must have flames!!!  The cold fog is making me chilly... :P

Unfortunately, despite having an MP44 as backup weapon as well, the incoming .50 cal fire from the halftrack on the other side of the house ( shows just how effective the .50 cal is ! ) has made them cower ... and break. So I can't even tell them to fire the damn thing. :angry:

Hank24,

I've read occasional accounts relating to the injury of the loader or other troops behind the weapon when the weapon was fired.  Don't have any written doctrine to go by but I'd figure the loader had the responsibility to duck after he signaled the gunner that the weapon was loaded.  The gunner is focused on lining up the target.

Ideally the weapon would be fired with a large open area behind it to minimize potential casualties - not always possible in close confines for city fighting.  Collateral damage from friendly fire is always a bad thing. 

Sorry to hear about your neighbor's friend.  It is always good to have personal accounts that relate to our pixeltruppen and their struggles.  It increases the immersion factor and makes the game seem a little less like a game at times.

The Leaping Horseman.  Nice one.  Kind of goes hand in hand with the 71st Infantry Division Kleeblatt.  Both ended up in the same terrible place.  Do you read books by Jason Mark?

Heinrich505

Very sad story, my neighbor was 17, nearly no training, sent to kill tanks with Panzerschreck.

The Leaping Horseman, 24th Panzerdivision, did not read that book, but the official history of that Division. My uncle served with it and was flown out of Stalingrad wounded. He survived, my grandfather was MIA when in the same Division in 45. So it has some meaning to me.

Back to topic...

Teaser update ( no pix yet ) : Cliffhanger schreck round flew ... and fell fractionally short, passing under the side of the halftrack ...

... where it hit the ground, exploded and devastated the underside of the halftrack ( presumably even more lightly armoured, if at all ). The buckling plates and shrapnel injure both crewmen. :o Vehicle is undamaged, but unmanned.

Mortar halftrack fired 2 ranging rounds. One was ludicrously long - possibly as much as 700m from them - it looked almost twice as far as their targeting. 2nd was only about 100m long. :(

Strange word: being under the weather. I looked it up and found a general meaning - feelig sick; or did you mean the special Australian meaning - having drunk too much? :D

Either way, I hope that its getting better.

Edited by hank24