CMFB Bonus Beta AAR ( Axis )

Ok, here is the news of the following turn.
As has been the case throughout this battle, the pendulum swings viciously back in the American's favour.

In the Nameless Woods, 2 squads of Sturmgrenadiers ( each of 2 men left from 4 ) are wiped out. The man closest to the camera breaks and flees when his buddy is shot. But he doesn't make it - I can only assume Ken has some veteran sniper or similar up with his bazooka man - pretty much 2 shots, 2 kills :(
The other team loses one of the 2 ( to enemy Halftrack fire, I think ) and panics. The sniper will probably get him next turn.

CMFB 100 1.jpg

CMFB 100 2.jpg

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately, despite knowing he has a bazooka-wielder and possible sniper, I cannot get any LoF to those positions.
However, my 251/17 does finally spot a Halftrack and engages.

It loses a gunner, starts to reverse, takes more hits, loses another man ... and continues to reverse away ! Curse those American Zombies !

CMFB 100 17.jpg

CMFB 100 18.jpg

CMFB 100 19.jpg

Edited by Baneman

At the end of the turn, the New Lynx spots the other more distant halftrack. It's given a 15s Target command, then it is ordered to pull back.
At this stage, I'm ceding these woods to the enemy if they still want them. I don't want to lose something to that bazooka and he can't use the woods for anything useful. I still have 1 squad of Sturmgrenadiers who can stop any infantry push to my edge ( hard to say how many infantry he actually has left here ). It is impenetrable to his vehicles so they're pretty much confined to hiding behind a small hillock just beyond. If they push forward, I have 2 234/1's that should spot them.

On the far side of the town, my 250/9 has been dementedly area-firing where we think his bazooka team are, but they've not been seen for several turns.
I pushed forward a recon team and the damaged 251/17 to try and get more eyes on the location. Meanwhile the 250/9 and 234/1 are also pulling back - again, a few infantry here can't do much. However, we DO finally spot them, so they're due some somewhat better aimed "love".

CMFB 100 5.jpg

CMFB 100 6 Trouble.jpg

It's in the town though, where things go a bit pear-shaped.

The infantry rushing towards my ex-flamethrower team's house lost 1 man in the process. This turn, a few more are engaged by the Sturmgrenadiers at the end of the row. The Town 222 also moves up to fire at them. The grenadiers even fire a faust ( hey, it's a PF60, it's got the range ! ;) ). 1 man is seen scarpering from the carnage.

CMFB 100 11.jpg

CMFB 100 12.jpg

CMFB 100 13.jpg

CMFB 100 14.jpg

His first burst ( shown ) injures ( yellow base ) 2 of 4 men and they flee. A second burst kills 2 of 4 of the other team in the neighbouring house AND the Platoon HQ.
I no longer control that street.
The 222 will hose down the Flamer house ( where the GI's were killed ) for 15s then pull back. Other elements are area-firing on the American flamethrower guy(s). Actually they were already area-firing on that house, but I guess Ken was standing behind them spinning his Colt revolver and looking meaningfully at the door...
One mortar round finally landed nearby ( still about 4-5 AS's long though ). Hopefully they will get their act together and at least make it tough for him to pull back or reinforce.

As mentioned above, most of my remaining units are moving up to the town. I think I have a slight edge in offensive vehicles and I want to maximise that. The other areas ( Nameless Woods, Far Woods ) are now just sideshows.

Here's an overview of the town environs. Lots of burning hulks !

CMFB 100 15 Overview.jpg

Middle top you can see the 2 Halftracks that my Lynx and 251/17 are engaging through the Nameless Woods. Zombie M8 is still up there somewhere too.
Other than that, I know he still has a quad-50 Halftrack and at least 1 MG-armed jeep.
So, the Drilling, a 234/1 and the 250/9 are all moving up to add to what you see. The Company HQ is moving up to make up for the loss of the Platoon HQ to the enemy flamethrower.

Edited by Baneman

Baneman, how would you estimate the relative infantry strength remaining?

Do you hold an advantage in manpower?

I'm a bit low on manpower, especially with the loss of 3 teams in the last turn.

So I guesstimate that I'm a bit outnumbered, but as long as I can keep the American cockroach hordes :P from infiltrating too deep into the town, I reckon I can still hold on as I think I hold the advantage in vehicles.

Also, although I think Ken still has more men than me, he has also taken serious losses and brittle troops do not an objective hold :)
Naturally I'll feel a lot better when I know where that verdammt second quad-50 HT is, but that is the last ( I think ) serious vehicular threat remaining.

I'm a bit low on manpower, especially with the loss of 3 teams in the last turn.

So I guesstimate that I'm a bit outnumbered, but as long as I can keep the American cockroach hordes :P from infiltrating too deep into the town, I reckon I can still hold on as I think I hold the advantage in vehicles.

Also, although I think Ken still has more men than me, he has also taken serious losses and brittle troops do not an objective hold :)
Naturally I'll feel a lot better when I know where that verdammt second quad-50 HT is, but that is the last ( I think ) serious vehicular threat remaining.

and the Zombie M8, no? Or is it defanged?

and the Zombie M8, no? Or is it defanged?

No, it's still up there near the 2 Halftracks. But I know it's lost at least 1 crewman, so its spotting at least should be a bit carp.

One can only go with the best course of action, the great thing about CM is that nothing is certain.

Nevertheless, I'm now massing my remaining forces together which will give me the best chance I think. :)

Ok people, here's what happened in the next turn - everything you expect is here - death, destruction ... more death. :)

On the right, as my vehicles pull back, we fire on the bazooka-wielding troublemakers. Naturally we hit nothing, but they do decide that Ken is far enough away to allow them to do that retrograde thing he usually disapproves of. They vanish back into the vegetation. ;)

CMFB 105 1.jpg

At the end of the turn, my reinforcing vehicles are in or near the town.
The enemy can't know that the 251/17 has no gun, so it adds to the psychological warfare ;)

CMFB 105 2.jpg

Edited by Baneman

Up by the Nameless Woods, the 251/17 that does have a gun fails to decisively destroy its Halftrack target :(
The New Lynx also gets good hits on the other, with similar results ie. it reverses out of sight. Clearly an early use of titanium in American construction :rolleyes:

CMFB 105 7.jpg

2 men are lost from my last undamaged Sturmgrenadier team :(
Good thing I'm pulling out of the woods.

In town, matters stabilise somewhat. There is no more flamethrowing - I can't tell if he's scared, dead or what. Nevertheless, the 2 Sturmgrenadiers remaining recover from their panic.
The Flamer house and the one alongside were given a lot of area fire. Between that and the recovered grenadiers, the American's attempt to push across the street is thwarted...

CMFB 105 15.jpg

CMFB 105 16.jpg

Overview of the town environs - the street-crossers run away. The guys who tried to enter the house by my flamethrower are also pulling back.
A BAR man runs out of the cemetery to reinforce his fellows. When he sees them going home, he does a smart U-turn as well. This at least reinforces my opinion that the Americans are brittle ( as am I :huh: )
The mortars also finally begin to land in the right area. A tad late, but ...

CMFB 105 18.jpg

Baneman,

Glad to see you recovered from your "malady." 

Holy Crap, the carnage is incredible.  The Horror...The Horror...The Horror....[with apologies to Marlon Brando...Apocalypse Now]

Mr. U-Turn seems to have the right idea...Run Away!!

Your flame guy was supposed to flame his flame guy.  Good recovery from the ones that got burned - they might have put paid to the enemy flamer.

And yeah, if c3k is using zombies for his M8s, he wouldn't be opposed to slipping Audie in there somewhere...probably on the back of a burning tank manning a 50 cal.

Crazy battle.  Loving the action.

Heinrich505

More News ! More bloodshe... actually, very little happened in this last turn :lol:

In town, this pair of jokers showed up near the top floor of poor Andre Blum's place of business. They took a few potshots at my surviving sturmgrenadiers, but the return fire was ferocious. A recon team back on the hill near Lt Gruber's little tank also let fly with their MG42. You can see one of the mortar rounds landing behind the house. I fear the horse has bolted, but it might have hastened it on its way.

CMFB 110 03.jpg

With a large firepower disparity, the end was inevitable....

CMFB 110 04.jpg

Edited by Baneman

Now that most of the enemy infantry appears to have pulled back from the first row of town houses, the "fraidy-cats" Sturmgrenadier team will move back to their original abandoned position, reinforcing their teammates "the real men".
My mortar is retargeting the cemetery to disturb any "rallying" that might be going on there.

CMFB 110 15 mortar target.jpg

Here you can see my movement into the town. The 251/1 and 251/17 both have no weapon, so with the 250/9 arriving, there will be 3 targets. One has teeth, the others are distractions.
The Drilling is in front of the 234/1 in the street ( it actually bogged :( ). The 222 is a bit hard to see in the fog and the Company HQ has arrived to stiffen the resistance of the grenadiers now that their platoon HQ is KIA.

CMFB 110 16 move up.jpg