Multiplayer Newbie

Brian07

Hi, I've been playing the 3 WW2 titles for a while now, and I'm at the phase where I feel I can take on a human opponent without making a complete foll of myself, I have to admit though that I find the multiplayer process a bit baffling. Anyone know of a decent guide anywhere? Thanks

Depends on what type of multiplayer experience you mean.

Real time play I have never done so I can't help you there. But if you are talking about play by mail (PBEM) then I can perhaps give you some clarity. :)

To have a PBEM game, you can either select Battle and play a pre-made scenario, or, your can select Quick Battle and make your own custom (or as random as you choose) battle. 

You have to pick the side you wish to play, and the game will automatically save once you have gone as far as you can. Then you can go to the Outgoing Mail folder and take the file that is there, and send it to your opponent. When they take their turn, and send It back to you, you put it in the incoming Mail folder and then load the game and take your turn. This goes on repeatedly until the game is over.

It really sounds a lot more laborious than it is. :)

If you have more questions don't be shy to ask.

I see you already have an explanation and offers of help even.  You certainly can often find opponents here but there are a number of good gaming clubs around which you can read about here: http://community.battlefront.com/topic/107265-pbem-opponent-wanted/?comment=1407990.  My sig line has a link to Whose Turn Is It? but you can also read about it here: http://community.battlefront.com/topic/110328-announcing-whose-turn-is-it-a-pbem-turn-management-program/

• 4 weeks later...

Been playin PBEM and Quick battles for some time now.  Playing against Human oppenents can be challenging as you have no idea what to buy.  I sometimes have oppenents buy all tanks when sent to Mix... thinking you may have some kind of infantry fight.. but then realize he has just a HQ unit and all tanks.  When playing ASL we used to have house rules of sorts, like  no Aircraft and Artillery other then the usual Mortars attached to any Battalion or if playing Medium size Company level.

It can be a crap shoot.  Still though its fun as heck.

Is there any way to lock in the players' options to buy only a standard formation with a typical mix of experience, equipment and other factors? Basically a 'play the hand you're dealt' game mode?

In quick battle I can make the computer buy the forces, but not sure if I can do the same in multiplayer, or if each player can override this setting. 

Only real way of doing that is to use house rules/honour system.  most players will do this (if asked before game start obviously).  Severa;l of the clubs IanL linked to have suggested HvH house rules - most are sensible.

I tend to prefer playing scenarios at the moment, this Normally makes for more balenced forces - though not always.

I didn't want to start a new thread for a similar theme so apologies if I am hijacking this one.

I am also looking to play my first multiplayer games, so if any of the above wish to thrash a rank amateur, do get in touch

I have all the CM2 titles apart from Shock Force so I am happy to play any of what I have.

Edited by Grach89

I didn't want to start a new thread for a similar theme so apologies if I am hijacking this one.

I am also looking to play my first multiplayer games, so if any of the above wish to thrash a rank amateur, do get in touch

I have all the CM2 titles apart from Shock Force so I am happy to play any of what I have.

Don't forget that the forum has a thread for finding opponents so you will cast your net wider if you post your request for PBEM there. :)

Don't forget that the forum has a thread for finding opponents so you will cast your net wider if you post your request for PBEM there. :)

Though BF is actively encouraging players to utilize http://www.thefewgoodmen.com/thefgmforum/  for PBEM opponent matchups:

http://community.battlefront.com/announcement/18-new-repository-and-opponent-finder/

:P