Any good scenarios with a recon phase?

This may not be exactly what you're looking for, and you've probably already played this, but just in case: the early scenarios in the German campaign "Die Letzte Hoffnung" feature recon elements that are designed to scout the way ahead for the approaching panzergrenadier company and attached Panzer platoons. 

The maps are relatively small, meaning that true vehicle-based recon is unrealistic -- especially in the presence of armor/ATG threats, meaning that any such recon is best conducted by dismounted crews.

The reason why I ask for a mission with a real recon phase is that I find that most of the recon elements are never really used as such. Even the missions that give you armoured cars and scout teams usually just ask you to fight with those. Then the enemy is dialed down accordingly to give the player a chance. Which means that the end result is the same as if the armoured cars had been tanks, and the enemy given bigger weapons.

@PanzerMiller I haven't played that campaign. I'm not too keen on playing the Germans.

Every scenario should start with a recon phase regardless of whether you have official reconnaissance troops in your OB or not.  

Very true, and I always do that. But I'm talking about a mission where you get actual designated recon units and scout ahead with them first, until the main combat force arrives.

Huzzar! seems to fit the bill. Just downloaded it and had a quick look at it. I was surprised to recognise the map from Carbide Carbide (one of my favorite scenarios)

Not quite sure how you ended up with Huzzar! That is really an excellent scenario with loads of Reccon. But probably not very suitable to play against the AI. Honestly, I never tried, but I would imagine that is "due to the nature of the scenario".

I am playing it H2H currently and seem to be winning with the Germans (Probably, that's why I like it. :-) ). Another 45 min's to go. We'l see, we'll see...

Ah, and the map is not the same as in Carbide (I am playing that one just now, too).

Seems like Carbide Carbide is basically the middle portion of the Huzzar! map.

Weird thing by the way: the jeep-mounted recon troops you get don't have binoculars... 

Oh, and you get 4 (four!) sets of priest artillery standing by, but not a single forward observer, and the whole map, extremely well made and natural looking as it is, is one big undulating hedgerow tangle with very very limited LOS :) Not sure how to use those assets really..

Edited by Bulletpoint

Not quite sure how you ended up with Huzzar! That is really an excellent scenario with loads of Reccon. But probably not very suitable to play against the AI. Honestly, I never tried, but I would imagine that is "due to the nature of the scenario".

Well I just finished it. There's an AI plan for the opponents, but it's basically shooting fish in a barrel. Oh, and a LOT of waypoint plotting through the landscape for the tanks. That's a real chore with a map this size and 15 tanks to plot around.

I ended up with losing 19 men, 4 tanks, and armoured car and a jeep. Killed 33 armoured vehicles and 10 tanks (6 Stug and 4 Panthers), and a lot of troops.

Those Panthers are tough, even struggled to take them out at 460 metres using 76mm Shermans. Never got to the infantry phase, so didn't have to conquer any of the crossings.

Edited by Bulletpoint

Well I just finished it. There's an AI plan for the opponents, but it's basically shooting fish in a barrel. Oh, and a LOT of waypoint plotting through the landscape for the tanks. That's a real chore with a map this size and 15 tanks to plot around.

I ended up with losing 19 men, 4 tanks, and armoured car and a jeep. Killed 33 armoured vehicles and 10 tanks (6 Stug and 4 Panthers), and a lot of troops.

Those Panthers are tough, even struggled to take them out at 460 metres using 76mm Shermans. Never got to the infantry phase, so didn't have to conquer any of the crossings.

Ah, then my Germans are doing much better. To date I have only 3 StuG's and 1 Panther down. Plus a couple of half tracks. And killed something like 8 Shermans. But as I said earlier: there's still a while to go.

Unfortunately, I messed up with the coordination and my Panthers arrived in town way too early. But that will be corrected soon... ?

Ah, then my Germans are doing much better. To date I have only 3 StuG's and 1 Panther down. Plus a couple of half tracks. And killed something like 8 Shermans. But as I said earlier: there's still a while to go.

Unfortunately, I messed up with the coordination and my Panthers arrived in town way too early. But that will be corrected soon... ?

If you are playing against a human opponent, then we cannot compare scores - I was playing against the computer, and so it was not much to boast about :)

• 9 months later...

So I bought the CW expansion and tried the "Evil be unto him" scenario. Huge beautiful map and interesting setup, but how to actually do the recon successfully?

I tried driving my armoured cars up to the hill to spot what might be on the other side of the valley. I assumed the big distances would mean comparable safety, but there's one AT gun that just picks off my cars one by one, with nobody spotting anything. Am I supposed to dismount?

(The cars are all unbuttoned)

1)  Good that it's a huge map as in the usual smaller maps there is little function for vehicular recon - best to dismount and recon on foot right at the start imo.

2) In your instance, the vehicular recon should scout at high speed (harder to hit) until it gets to a likely ambush point, and then yes, dismount and carefully recon on foot.