Any good scenarios with a recon phase?

2 hours ago, Bulletpoint said:

< Snip> I tried driving my armoured cars up to the hill to spot what might be on the other side of the valley. I assumed the big distances would mean comparable safety, but there's one AT gun that just picks off my cars one by one, with nobody spotting anything. Am I supposed to dismount? <Snip> 

I have not played this scenario but I try to have troops on foot take the first look over hills, ridges, out of wood lines etc.  If the crew is all that is available I use them.  I also Slow them the last action spot or two into their observation spot with a small target arc.  I also sometimes place them on Hide at the last waypoint until I think it is safe to un-hide them.    

In this map, I'm dealing with engagement ranges of 1.5-2 km, so I basically have to try to bait the AT gun to fire on my vehicles (because infantry won't spot a gun at that range if it doesn't fire), and then hopefully I'll spot it.

But I still haven't figured out the best way to go about this. Some element of luck will of course be there, but I like to figure out the "best" way to do things, to minimise the luck factor..

I haven't noticed crew spotting better when outside their vehicles than when inside and unbuttoned, but I have noticed that dismounted crews get better viewing angles when looking out from a hedgerow. So if there's hedgerow cover, it's better to get out of the vehicle.

However, I think you also lose some spotting ability when dismounting. Because the commander still has his binoculars, but the gunner won't have the benefits of his gun optics. (at least that's my working theory so far based on what I've seen...)

Edited by Bulletpoint

10 minutes ago, Bulletpoint said:

<Snip>  But I still haven't figured out the best way to go about this. Some element of luck will of course be there, but I like to figure out the "best" way to do things, to minimise the luck factor. <Snip> 

In MOUT fights I sometimes Fast an armored vehicle or tank out from cover for 15 to 20 seconds and then Reverse back into cover.  Usually at the out of cover waypoint I have the vehicle fire on a known or likely OpFor position.  Friendly units, including Infantry, will often ID the location of OpFor units that fire on the vehicle.  This may also work in your open terrain.  In any case good luck.  :D     

11 minutes ago, Bulletpoint said:

<Snip> So if there's hedgerow cover, it's better to get out of the vehicle.

However, I think you also lose some spotting ability when dismounting. Because the commander still has his binoculars, but the gunner won't have the benefits of his gun optics. (at least that's my working theory so far based on what I've seen...)

Interesting.  I will have to pay attention for this behavior. 

Another option to think of is finding a turret down position with just the unbuttoned turret commander beeing able to peek across a hill or crest. As human player this works quite good as plotting the vehicle waypoint is a fairly accurate affair with regard to the final position. At least I got it working several times when any such positions existed on a map.