SLIM vs Ithikial DAR (Ithikial Stay Out!)

A short, sharp tank action results in the loss of my StuG, and one of Ithikial's Fireflies. Pound for pound it's a fair trade, but it still hurts a bit.

I can now make out what looks like a full company moving for the Rail Bridge, looks like we're going to have some major infantry action starting up soon. It looks bad at the moment, but I'm confident my Panzergrenadiers will win the CQB fight.

So far, everything is still moving forward as planned, I simply can't get my men to move any faster.

Well, at least you have a fight on your hands. It would be a boring DAR if you just paraded over the guy, right? Did the first mortar shot land dead-on, or did it take some spotting? I'm wondering if he set his troops to above-average settings.

Oh yes, nothing is more boring than an easy walkover. There was one spotting round from the mortar, but those things are crazy accurate. They're a lot like the M203 Grenade Launcher, very handy and quick to use. I would imagine the way Ithikial's men are going toe-to-toe with my own he's commanding veterans.

Wow, so how long was the pack up in the end?

About 15 minutes.

You're doing great. Looking forward to the next update. The terrain is on your side, IMO.

At the Road Bridge I'd say no, Ithikial has a bit of an advantage if he chooses to use it. He controls high ground that could easily keep me from advancing across the bridge, then push the rest of his troops towards the Rail Bridge. So far, he seems determined to fight for both bridges, but the pressure on the Road Bridge has definitely slacked off over this last turn.

At the Rail Bridge, the terrain definitely favors me, but only if I can keep Ithikial from expanding his bridgehead any further. If he gets dug into the woods or the town it'll be the devil's own job digging him back out again.

Who here remembers the PIAT team that was my very first enemy contact?

My Sniper Team certainly remembered:

PIAT%20DOWN.png

TAKE THAT! You Spring-Loaded [BLEEP]!

Resistance at the Road Bridge is definitely slackening, Ithikial's troops are withdrawing into the woods, and he's re-deploying his tanks on a line in the rear. I could almost call my "Deny the Road Bridge to the Enemy" objective complete. My Jpz is withdrawing to a new position, and the Bridge Platoon is pulling out of their useless position. I now have freedom to maneuver at the Road Bridge, and I'm going to take full advantage of it.

Rail%20Bridge_2.png

Meanwhile, Ithikial is pouring troops over the Rail Bridge. He seems very determined to dig a foothold into the Town, while I am equally as determined to stop him. You can tell by these tracers, his attack over the Rail Bridge wasn't entirely bloodless. The only thing that's really got me nervous, is the sheer numbers involved here.

Unless Ithikial has split all of his squads into teams, the number of contacts looks more like a Battalion than a company. I'm almost certain this is a ruse though.

I'll post another big video on the next turn, until then, stay frosty.

With his Firefly down, how confident do you feel about letting your Panther and Jadgpanzer off the leash to go exterminate the Shermans that can't reliably hurt your armour? Are you worried he has another high velocity gun to back up the one you nailed? Do you think he's got enough armour to arrange attacks on flanking axes? Do you just want to gather more intel before taking such a decision?

With his Firefly down, how confident do you feel about letting your Panther and Jadgpanzer off the leash to go exterminate the Shermans that can't reliably hurt your armour? Are you worried he has another high velocity gun to back up the one you nailed? Do you think he's got enough armour to arrange attacks on flanking axes? Do you just want to gather more intel before taking such a decision?

He definitely has at least one more Firefly roaming around. I had spotted it earlier up on the hill behind the Hotel, but I don't know where it is now.

Either way, my attack on the Road Bridge is going forward, so if I get a spot on it I'll try hunting it down.

So that was the second Firefly and another Sherman? Could you tell if any of the hits on the Panther were from the Firefly? It looks like it's quite long range, but I guess Ithikial thought the 17lber would be effective even against Panther glacis at that range, I would have tended to agree. In fact, on that very same map, I think I got frontal Panther kills with Fireflies at longer ranges. Hope he hasn't got any more tanks in his left flank column to snipe your JPz as it rolls laterally through the crossroads! :)

So that was the second Firefly and another Sherman? Could you tell if any of the hits on the Panther were from the Firefly? It looks like it's quite long range, but I guess Ithikial thought the 17lber would be effective even against Panther glacis at that range, I would have tended to agree. 

I've gotten 76 and 17pdr kills at 1100m on Panthers as well - this was very rough luck for Ithikial that the follow-on shots hit at odd angles. However, that's how battle sometimes goes! He's definitely very skilled, though - we're watching a very good match-up.

Town%20Plan.png

Sorry Doug. I had this screenshot made up yesterday but I forgot to upload it.

From Right to Left:

• The Red Circle shows the tank contact I got last turn. I didn't actually notice it until after I'd hit the red button, so I have no idea what it is.
  • The White Arrow shows Ithikial's axis of advance into the town. He really pulled of a surprise move here, I wasn't expecting quite so much infantry to come boiling out of the woods, and come across the bridge.
  • The Blue Circle shows the area occupied by my HMG Section. They had managed to get into a good interdiction position, but they arrived too late, and are now taking fire from several directions. They're just going to have to stick it out, and suck up some bullets until the rest of my troops can deploy.
  • The Green Circles and Arrows show my movement plan for the two Platoons of Attack Company. I'm hoping to occupy some buildings and contest the town below the Church.
  • The Orange Arrow shows my movement plan for my Mortar-Teams-Turned-Infantry. I need to prevent Ithikial from establishing positions on the ridge, otherwise I will lose control of this entire side of the battlefield.

A new plan is starting to form in my mind, just in case the worst should happen:

I don't think Ithikial wound appreciate a combined arms force attacking the Hotel, and gaining some high ground over the Town, would he?

Womble, the first and third hits on the Panther were from the Firefly. The sum total of damage was a partial penetration of the front hull, wounding the driver. The hull machine gunner had already moved into the turret to replace the missing crewmember, and that likely saved his life. Jpz is moving Fast straight down the road, so he'll only be exposed for a second or two. I'm willing to take the risk at this point because the Rail Bridge is boiling over with enemies, and is rapidly turning into a disaster.

Bogged%20Sherman.png

Aww, Ithikial's Sherman got bogged down driving down the cratered Railroad Tracks!

This gives me a small window of opportunity to get my Jpz into a position to cut the main road through the town. Here's hoping it works!

Things are really coming to a head right now, these next five minutes might prove decisive for the whole battle!

I'm so excited right now! AHHHHHH!!!

This battle is so awesome!!

Bogged%20Sherman.png

Aww, Ithikial's Sherman got bogged down driving down the cratered Railroad Tracks! 

Vanir Ausf B  had some interesting information on railroad tracks and vehicle damage.  It is linked in the below thread.  Basically cross tracks at a 90 degree angle and don't drive down them.  More than just bogging it can cause damage to the tracks on the vehicle. 

http://community.battlefront.com/topic/120465-trucks-kubelwagenjeeps-too-robust-cross-country/?do=findComment&comment=1624950

Looking forward to another update. 

Edited by MOS:96B2P

Vanir Ausf B  had some interesting information on railroad tracks and vehicle damage.  It is linked in the below thread.  Basically cross tracks at a 90 degree angle and don't drive down them.  More than just bogging it can cause damage to the tracks.

If his Sherman comes down with track damage, I will breathe a sigh of relief so big you'll be able to hear it in space.

I'm 95% sure that Sherman is his last tank. If it goes down, or I kill it, I'll have a massive advantage.

I'm going to stay up late tonight to see if I can catch another turn before I go to bed.

If his Sherman comes down with track damage, I will breathe a sigh of relief so big you'll be able to hear it in space.

I'm 95% sure that Sherman is his last tank. If it goes down, or I kill it, I'll have a massive advantage.

I'm going to laugh if he has one crummy tank in reserve somewhere :)

I'm going to laugh if he has one crummy tank in reserve somewhere :)

Go ahead and laugh, turns out Ithikial has three tanks left.

Attack%20Plan.png

Here's another birds-eye view. While my infantry is pretty much engaged everywhere, and my only available reserves are completely off the table, my armor is the only thing I have to roll with. Ithikial's tank near the Road Bridge (Red Circle) is a Sherman 75, so my Panther is heading Fast directly to a position where he should be able to see and shoot him. Once that Sherman is knocked out, Panther then heads for the town.

My Jpz is moving behind the wall surrounding the church courtyard, and hopefully will get a shot at the leading Sherman 75 at the Rail Bridge. The second tank at the Rail Bridge is a Sherman Firefly. So much for driving down railroad tracks, both tanks are moving right along without a care in the world.

I do have one very slight ace in the hole. My PaK40 is still redeploying, and doesn't seem to have been noticed yet.