All German squads have "scout" icon?

In the scenario I made, I notice that all German squads use the scout-icon (looks like a stylised profile of someone looking through binoculars). I thought they would use the generic "infantry" icon.

The troops should be "fusiliers", I suppose this would be just standard Heer riflemen. Do they get the icon because I'm splitting squads? Or are fusiliers actually some sort of scout formation? Or is it a bug?

Yup, they got the icon for "recon troops". Actually Fusiliers are the late war german infantry divisions reccon detachements (Aufklarungs Abteilung), although they are little to non used in that role at that time. Usually they are the prefered local counter stroke reserve formation of infantry divisions, as they have slightly more automatic weapons and have limited mobility (bycicles). Everything ok. No bug.

As mentioned...Fusiliers were the recon troops. When the Germans were attacking, that skill was useful. When the Germans were retreating, they were the most mobile unit in the division (usually on bikes, late war), and with their elan and status, were used as the "fire brigade" troops. Kept in reserve, they were used to counterattack breakthroughs and otherwise plug critical gaps. No troop lasts long with that type of continued use. Nor did the Fusiliers.

Ken

Note that the "Fusilier" name was honorific and did not imply a unique organization, just a different role in the division. The organization of the battalion was identical to a grenadier battalion, except one or more companies were bicycle mounted. The very different organization of the Fusilier Battalion in CM (with nearly as many HMGs as a full regiment) is an error that has been sorted out for the Bulge title. However, they will retain the "scout" squad status in recognition of their unique role in the division, as well as a slightly higher proportion of automatic small arms, and won't have the standard parcelling out of regimental panzershrecks seen in the grenadier battalion (although you are fully justified in adding some panzerschrecks as they sometimes held their own). If you want a more average fusilier battalion, just rename a grenadier battalion.

Also, some IDs had Fusilier Regiments, which were just standard infantry regiments that bore the "Fusilier" name due to lineage and should not be confused with the unique role of the divisional fusilier battalion.

Edited by akd

It turns out there are also way to many G43 Rifles in the standard German Inf Platoon (Reg, Grenadier, & Fusiler)...There should be an average of one G43 per Platoon (maybe by Bulge you could increase one per Squad). 

I only play Platoon up to Reinforced Company size engagements...                                                                                                      

If I play a Platoon, then I have to remedy this issue by purchasing the Sicherungs or Ersatz Battalion (deleting the rest), making the one Inf Platoon 80% Strength and adding an LMG Team per Squad (semi-attached since they can't physically)...No G43's, but that's ok.

If it's a Inf Company, then I do the same above, but will go ahead and delete one of the Platoons in the Company and substitute it with a Standard or Grenadier Inf Platoon...that way there are a few G43's in the Company as a whole. 

Joe

Edited by JoMc67

Actually I just wanted regular army units, and I thought that fusiliers were regular riflemen basically.

Nope, "grenadier" battalions were the standard infantry at this time. The renaming from infanterie / schutzen to grenadier was just a morale exercise and did not reflect a changed role or unique organization.

Nope, "grenadier" battalions were the standard infantry at this time. The renaming from infanterie / schutzen to grenadier was just a morale exercise and did not reflect a changed role or unique organization.

Well, I learnt something at least :) I can't be bothered to go back and replace all the AI plan teams with grenadier infantry now, I hope it's not improbable that "fusiliers" would be in charge of holding a crossroads.

In any case, someday I might re-do the scenario, because it's really an area that was taken by the British/Canadians and maybe Poles. When I buy the Commonwealth update some day I might update it.

Well, I learnt something at least :) I can't be bothered to go back and replace all the AI plan teams with grenadier infantry now, I hope it's not improbable that "fusiliers" would be in charge of holding a crossroads.

You can keep the same A.I. plan, just replace the troops, and put them in the same A.I. group as the previous ones.