Who are the lurkers?

You see threads with 500, 1000, 1500 'views'. Many go on for several pages. Yet not infrequently these threads contain only a dozen posters. For every poster it seems there are twenty lurkers. Who are these people? Are they shy? Or merely prudent? Perhaps they're contributing to other topics, who knows. As a poster you get the feeling that you're a gladiator, a tiny speck on the sandy floor of a coliseum witnessed by a vast and silent audience .

Thoughts?

They are watching....

*rubs hands together evilly*

To be honest I'm not sure how the "views" are tabulated. I know if I reload a thread several times they do not increment. Yet people do look at what I've posted and it seems to increase the "views" amount. I believe they are registered members, who else would even notice this forum and choose to remain unregistered?

To be honest I'm not sure how the "views" are tabulated. I know if I reload a thread several times they do not increment. Yet people do look at what I've posted and it seems to increase the "views" amount. I believe they are registered members, who else would even notice this forum and choose to remain unregistered?

I often read threads without logging in. I am not using auto-login, i only login if i am actually intending to post.

Guilty as charged (and first post, I might add).

- Currently trying all of the Combat Mission demos. BS runs beautifully, but not sure the mech-prominent nature of the battlefield is my thing (though really enjoyed the very urban second demo).

- BN seems to best supported in terms of user content, but concerned about the bocage claustrophobia. The diverse range of user-created missions and campaigns is very appealing (and I think I already prefer smaller company sized engagements). But Bundle cost is humungous, even if best value..

- RT ain't my thing.

- Not excited by the Italians... 

So lurking and deciding.... And finding all the discussions on the above topics..  :D

The Peng Thread is surely a fascinating example of how culture and traditions develop in a community or society. Maybe we should document and preserve it for future generations. Does anyone remember how the first Peng Thread started? I googled a bit and i found the following:

Oldest Peng Thread i could find:

http://community.battlefront.com/topic/22334-the-bloody-peng-challenge-thread-escape-from-downunder/

And two third party websites dedicated to the Peng Thread:

http://home.comcast.net/~joe.shaw/wsb/html/126943/view.cgi-.html

http://home.comcast.net/~joe.shaw/wsb/html/view.cgi-about.html-.html

http://berlichingen.tripod.com/peng/history.html

I would like to read the very first, original thread, but i havent found it yet. Googleing ""Peng I'm Taking Our Challenge Public", which was the name of the first thread, did not produce any useful results.

• 4 weeks later...

Guilty.   I have been around since the start but lost my original login for some reason I no longer remember.  I used to post a lot, but have since moved on to other games and forums.  I always some back here though since really CM is the best mix of gameplay size and subject for my gaming.