When should BFC start to develop a CMx3 engine ?

When should BFC start to develop a CMx3 engine  

54 members have voted

1. 1. When should BFC start to develop a CMx3 engine

• Right after they finish the Bulge game
    • Let them finish Bulge and Modules for CMRT and CMBS first
    • They can use the CMx2 engine as long as they like, its fine for me
    • I doubt there will ever be a CMx3 engine...
    • I think they should have started long ago and we should already have CMx3 by now !

After having upgraded to a new laptop I finally can play everything at highest settings. The game looks really good (except the coloring, which I would prefer to be more artistic and less natural, but that's not a problem of the engine).

So from the GFX point of view, I don't see the necessity of another engine.

But what I do not like at all and where I wholeheartedly agree, is the very slow development of the engine. Every little improvement takes years. I don't know if that's the result of a spaghetticoded engine or if the programmers are doing other things, but if the slow development is engine related, then I would say that a new engine is needed:

I find it inacceptable that after such a long time assignable hotkeys for units still are not stored with savefiles, for example. Or that anitaliasing stops working when swithcing on the beautiful movie coloring. Or that it's still not possible to create half cover arc circles or that the campaign system is consisting only of independent battles and that they only can be played against the AI. BFC says they have so many ideas, but the development of the game engine does not reflect that but to me looks more like a vacuum of ideas.

Edited by CarlWAW

Or that it's still not possible to create half cover arc circles or that the campaign system is consisting only of independent battles

It' s entirely possible to create 180 degrees covered arcs. Campaigns also do not necessarily consist of independent battles, it' s up to the designer whether his campaign is static or dynamic.

As is your incessant banging on about this. I mean it's great to have an opinion and espouse it, but the great lengths you are taking this to is becoming - odd. And TBH I've had enough of this rather cringeworthy show of childish behaviour. So I'm out.

yeah pretend you are a victim, it (never) always works

If you want to see mine and a few other long term CM players thoughts on the matter, this topic came up in a recent vodcast we did at the FGM and posted on Youtube. Had a few laughs.

Personally, liking the CMx2 engine and looking forward to any additional features BF build into it over the coming years via the upgrade system. Also in my wargaming dream world, the ability to play the entire war at a tactical level in the same CM engine would be great. We're wargamers, if you want the shiniest new graphics bells and whistles you've picked the wrong genre. :) Let the last game cover the early war and the last module, the invasion of Poland.

i dont think anyone of us is complaining primarily about graphics, but yes its part of the package i wont lie

Can we get BF to fix one item on this forum system.

The basic fixture that no one should be allowed to vote on their own post.

Wiggum you have managed to take it to a level I have never seen before. You are so caught up in yourself you like to give yourself a vote on almost every comment.

What's the matter, didn't like the score you was receiving from the forum (why should you care - just a bunch of Fanboys anyway)

was checking his posts and i think i never saw himself voting his posts?

What do you mean by "suspended my account" ?

Did they try to get you banned ?

seems it was a forum thing,they had a crash or something

someone posted an annauncement recently

Edited by Lacroix

So ChrisND and Steve both posted in the forums today, yet we still did not get any response of them concerning the old engine flaws and how they try to improve or what really will be "new" in the Bulge game or what their thoughts about a possible CMx3 engine are.

No I am not. 

But actually Wiggum rating himself is not really the issue i have with him, that' s just a side show, i find it weird but i can live with it.

I too find it weird and its a bug of the forum software.

I usually up-voted myself if i got down-voted just because i criticized the game or BFC.

Back to topic now please.

they are answered moust of what you asked on other topics all ready. several month agou then when you asked this same things first time

Then please give me a link i have no time to search for hours for these posts.

Edited by Wiggum15

Has anyone of you ever read the book "Fritz B. Simon - Tödliche Konflikte. Zur Selbstorganisation privater und öffentlicher Kriege." (Fritz B. Simon - Patterns of War. Systemic Aspects of Deadly Conflicts.)? In his book, Simon uses Systems Theory to explain the way human conflicts work, why they start, how they start, how they proceed, how they end, the motivation of the participants (both individuals and larger organisations), etc. This thread and the the other two that got closed recently are such wonderful examples of his thesis, i feel inclined to read his book again.

From a review at weltbild.at:

"In this book, Fritz Simon analyses the developmental conditions for war from the perspective of systems theory. The author covers biological and psycho-analytical models as well as sociological findings. The result is that, in general, these conflicts are not about economic or impulse-driven interests, but seem to be about such antiquated values as honour, pride and status. In the author’s opinion, then, wars should be understood as a continuation of sport with other means and, a fact we should not ignore, as the ultimate form of entertainment – at least for observers who are not directly affected."

https://www.weltbild.at/artikel/buch/patterns-of-war_14710757-1#information

Edited by agusto

Has anyone of you ever read the book "Fritz B. Simon - Tödliche Konflikte. Zur Selbstorganisation privater und öffentlicher Kriege." (Fritz B. Simon - Patterns of War. Systemic Aspects of Deadly Conflicts.)? In his book, Simon uses Systems Theory to explain the way human conflicts work, why they start, how they start, how they proceed, how they end, the motivation of the participants (both individuals and larger organisations), etc. This thread and the the other two that got closed recently are such wonderful examples of his thesis, i feel inclined to read his book again.

From a review at weltbild.at:

"In this book, Fritz Simon analyses the developmental conditions for war from the perspective of systems theory. The author covers biological and psycho-analytical models as well as sociological findings. The result is that, in general, these conflicts are not about economic or impulse-driven interests, but seem to be about such antiquated values as honour, pride and status. In the author’s opinion, then, wars should be understood as a continuation of sport with other means and, a fact we should not ignore, as the ultimate form of entertainment – at least for observers who are not directly affected."

https://www.weltbild.at/artikel/buch/patterns-of-war_14710757-1#information

No, but it makes me wanna read Skinner's Science and Human Behavior again.

No, they never answered me.

What compelling interest is there to respond to anything you say?  Your opinions are functionally irrelevant.  The only thing that matters is whether you make a purchase or not.  If you choose to post something in the forums then that has no bearing on BFC's bottom line.

Edited by ASL Veteran

So ChrisND and Steve both posted in the forums today, yet we still did not get any response of them concerning the old engine flaws and how they try to improve or what really will be "new" in the Bulge game or what their thoughts about a possible CMx3 engine are.

What gives you the right to think they need to respond to you?

The thing is they rarely if ever post here in topics that make suggestions on how to improve CMx2 or dont respond to any critique of CMx2.

As a small company they should be much more connected with their community and answer questions/suggestions, bug reports and technical problems !