Vehicle embarking problem

I know this had been discussed before but somehow I cannot find the thread using the search tool.

In my current PBEM game I have simulatneously two instances of the one-squad-member-running-away-while-embarking-vehicle bug. It is very annoying as I desperately need those squads on the frontline. However all but one have embarked, the one is running away and the squad icon is greyed out. Is there anything I could do to make the guy come back or do something to prevent such behaviour in the future. I am aware this is a known problem and actually I was thinking it had been rectified in one of the patches but apparently not.

I am playing the latest version of CMBN.

Any help?

I had this happen last week in a Black Sea PBEM, which is a newer version of the engine than Normandy so it is definitely still a problem.

There is not much you can do but hope he runs towards enemy troops and gets killed as soon as possible. I suppose you could plot some area fire near him using tanks and hope he catches some shrapnel.

Sometimes ( but not always ), the truck will obey orders and can pursue him :lol:

Other alternatives involve blowing up the truck so the passengers are forced to dismount :o  ( I had an over-zealous pilot once who "solved" this problem for me... :rolleyes: )

Otherwise, the running man usually returns after reaching the map edge ...

I've had a similar problem: When an HMG team is ordered to open fire, the gunner starts crawling towards the target, and just keeps on going until the enemy interrupts his picnic. I had it happen two times in a recent quick battle, seems to be related to areas of many bushes. Probably a bug in the gunner's logic that makes him seek a position with line of fire.

Save the pbem turns prior, and during, this happening. I'll ask to look at them in a few days. It'd be nice to squash this bug. Meantime, cancel the movement orders of the vehicle and squad. The loose guy should return. If not, then give the squad a short move order and see if that gets him moving. Otherwise, have one of your HE units area target the bastard. ;)

Ken

Been around for a while but never experienced it regarding mounting a transport. What's worked best in the past is to use two separate waypoints. So place a move order to the action square directly behind the transport then another one to mount. This should lead the squad to all be together before they move off the next 5m or so to enter the vehicle. I think long way points prior to entering a vehicle where the soldiers can become strung out over distance is part of the issue.

Personally I don't plot any movement orders for the vehicle until everyone has embarked/disembarked.

Ithikial is correct in plotting a move order right next to the vehicle before ordering an embarkation.

I've never run into this bug myself, having always taken precautions when loading/unloading a vehicle.

Interesting I use direct into vehicle move orders and put pauses on the vehicles and give them move orders too.  Just the stuff that you don't do.  And I have had this happen to me I think two times now (both times in version 1.1 or was it 1.01 - I forget).  I do what @sburke suggested - shoot em. :D (in my defence both times I was playing on a big map and waiting for him to get back would have been crazy).

Save the pbem turns prior, and during, this happening. I'll ask to look at them in a few days. It'd be nice to squash this bug. Meantime, cancel the movement orders of the vehicle and squad. The loose guy should return. If not, then give the squad a short move order and see if that gets him moving. Otherwise, have one of your HE units area target the bastard. ;)

Ken

Thx Ken. Unfortunately I have my CM Helper erase my past files and I have only the latest one.. But I think this bug is relatively easy to reproduce, at least it occurs in my PBEM games every now and then.

Ithikial thank you for your suggestion. Indeed I might have given my both squads a direct move and embark order without any additional movement waypoints. Giving a waypoint next to the vehicle can definitely be a good workaround solution. Many thanks to all of you who contributed to this thread!

Thx Ken. Unfortunately I have my CM Helper erase my past files and I have only the latest one.. But I think this bug is relatively easy to reproduce, at least it occurs in my PBEM games every now and then.

Well if you can reproduce it regularly then that is probably a clue - I have only seen this very very rarely.  Most of us are not seeing it with any regularity at all.  So if you (or anyone else who sees this often) can start saving PBEM files so you can package up a set of before during and later during turns that would be helpful.  For Ken :)

• 6 months later...

I want two different groups of soldiers to mount into a truck. Even if there are enough places for both, one of them never embark. I have to use two turns to mount them on.

PBEM CMBN game. It's the latest version, except vehicle pack.

Sorry for using this post. I didn't want to open a new post.

It's easy to reproduce. It's a known issue ?

Regards

I want two different groups of soldiers to mount into a truck. Even if there are enough places for both, one of them never embark. I have to use two turns to mount them on.

PBEM CMBN game. It's the latest version, except vehicle pack.

Sorry for using this post. I didn't want to open a new post.

It's easy to reproduce. It's a known issue ?

Regards

My assumption would be there´s too many guys the same time in too restricted space to embark properly. That also happens for any vehicles in the game (pillboxes) if simultaneously trying to embark too many guys the same time. Could be micro pathing problems, as the game attempts to find a proper path for individual soldiers and if some fail, the whole unit may abort. Just check the mess if dismounting 2 squads of around 20 soldiers from a truck the same time to get the idea. 2 turns/minutes for the whole affair is not unrealistic.