Best way to say squad in German?

Gruppe is the term for squad. Gruppen make up Zugs; Platoons.

"Truppe" is the term for a fireteam or element when used in that context. So, "Stosstruppe" - Assault team, "Deckgunstruppe" - Cover team, "Schutzentruppe" - Rifle team, so on and so forth. Haven't the foggiest what the Bundeswehr would use today, but I'd be surprised if it has changed. There's really no need to.

Edited by Rinaldi

"Kader" in a military context means "professional soldiers" - conscripts are Wehrpflichtige. The word "Kader" has to do with the quality of the soldiers, not the quantity.

"Riege"...? I have never heard of that word in a military context.

"Trupp" is a fireteam. A "Gruppe" is a squad.

German -> English:

Trupp -> Fireteam

Gruppe -> Squad

Zug -> Platoon

Kompanie -> Company

Battaillon -> Battalion (be careful with the german spelling!)

Brigade -> Brigade

Regiment -> Regiment

Attention:

The Waffen-SS uses different designations and ranks than the Wehrmacht/Bundeswehr.

Thanks,

It occurred to me after I posted I probably could have looked it up in the editor. I've been brushing up on my German lately and found Google translate is often questionable, as it was in this case. 

Send a message to Poesel. He will give you the Korrect way of saying it. ;)

No, you didn't but I'm here anyway. :)

Best way to say 'squad' in German is 'Sqwott'.

:D

agusto summed it up perfectly. Just to add one piece: the plural of 'Trupp' is Trupps'. '(die) Truppe' is the colloquial term for the whole of the Bundeswehr when you want to talk about the lower ranks. That term has been used in WWII and before, too.

I thought it was "Truppen," as in die Panzertruppen, seen here. Has there been some change in military linguistics in Germany since the end of WW II?

"Truppe" and "Trupp" are two different words. "Truppen" is the plural of "Truppe", "Trupps" is the plural of "Trupp".

A Trupp is alway a group of 2-5 soldiers. A Truppe can be of any size - from a 2 men sniper team to a whole division or more. Hence 2 Trupps are always 4-8 soldiers while 2 Truppen can be pretty much everything. For example die Panzer und die Infanterietruppen are just an unspecified number of tank and infantry groups of any size.