How come my troops always know when the enemy is dead?

I used to think that the markers were just "what the troops believed", so when they saw a big shell dropping straight into the enemy foxhole, they would assume the enemy was wiped out and for this reason declare "all clear" - removing the contact marker.

Knowing it's not so makes the game much easier. Takes away much of the uncertainty.

Edited by Bulletpoint

I'm not sure this is 100% true. I just discovered upon ceasefiring that a lIG18 (that I thought pretty much had to be dead, since it had taken over 90 60mm mortar rounds in direct fire...) which was still represented by a "?gun" icon was completely de-manned and knocked-out. So there are definitely circumstances where you don't know for sure the element is dead. There are also times when the icon vanishes and the element isn't totally neutralised yet. I think this happens when every component of the element you've actually spotted is seen to have been killed.

I'm not sure this is 100% true. I just discovered upon ceasefiring that a lIG18 (that I thought pretty much had to be dead, since it had taken over 90 60mm mortar rounds in direct fire...) which was still represented by a "?gun" icon was completely de-manned and knocked-out. So there are definitely circumstances where you don't know for sure the element is dead. There are also times when the icon vanishes and the element isn't totally neutralised yet. I think this happens when every component of the element you've actually spotted is seen to have been killed.

It only goes for infantry. AT-guns are exempt, just like other vehicles, their icon remain after they're destroyed (unless in direct LOS, then it shows the destroyed model).

It only goes for infantry. AT-guns are exempt, just like other vehicles, their icon remain after they're destroyed (unless in direct LOS, then it shows the destroyed model).

Ah, I thought that might be the case. However, it still remains that it's not reliable: the icon can disappear before the whole element is dealt with, even for infantry. IME.

Ah, I thought that might be the case. However, it still remains that it's not reliable: the icon can disappear before the whole element is dealt with, even for infantry. IME.

Yeah, I've seen repeated instances of that recently in playing BS. It can be a trifle unsettling when a unit you thought was dead "returns to life" guns blazing.

Michael

Can't recall that ever happening to me, and I've clocked up a fair amount of time with the game. Recently I've started to pay a lot of attention to this, checking if disappearing icons indeed mean elimination of the enemy, and so far there have been no exceptions..

I think it would be nice if the icon always remained, so you needed to get close and actually inspect the area before calling the "all clear".

Edited by Bulletpoint

womble,

I had that same sort of unkillable gun experience myself in the CMBN Demo, I believe. Anyhow, I was attacking, and I was taking fire, painfully so, from some UI gun in a copse to the right of and behind a bridge. I pounded that thing to the point where several of my tanks ran out of HE. But it wasn't until I got eyes on it from super close range that I could tell it was destroyed. Meanwhile, it remained a matter of tactical concern and put a damper on my plans. That and the accursed bridge which seemed to take a month to cross!

Regards,

John Kettler 

Edited by John Kettler

Yeah you can totally destroy an enemy position where the icon was and then move up.Only to find one or two guys that are broken and in cover or hiding,who in panic throw a grenade in your face,taking half a squad with it..................and there was much swearing.

Yeah you can totally destroy an enemy position where the icon was and then move up.Only to find one or two guys that are broken and in cover or hiding,who in panic throw a grenade in your face,taking half a squad with it..................and there was much swearing.

It still seems to me that the icon will remain as long as there are any enemies left. But sometimes the icon fades a lot, or sinks into the hedgerow, so becomes easy to miss.

In other situations, there can be another unrelated (and un-spotted) enemy team that hides near the location of the eliminated team.

In other situations, there can be another unrelated (and un-spotted) enemy team that hides near the location of the eliminated team.

It's worth its weight in emailed expletives :lol:  to get a man with an SMG to a location your opponent has just stonked the hell out of, before he gets there.

B)

I can verify that icons will disappear before a unit is totally eliminated.  I've just been bushwacked in PBEM by a unit I thought I had killed off.

The icon seems to disappear when all units that have been previously spotted are seen to be hit.  If there are soldiers who were never spotted in the first place, the icon won't persist to represent them.