John Hill - Squad Leader designer has passed

Wow.  In the late 1970s I purchased Squad Leader. As a mid-aged teen, this game was initially way over my head compared to other games at this time (and ASL stepped it up even further). But my buddies and I kept at it and soon we had it down pat.  I remember the first three Stalingrad scenario's with #3 combining the previous two into one large battle for the factories. And like so many other CMBN players, this was my start line. I always imagined the board game making the leap to the computer but wasn't sure if it was possible....but here we have it :)   RIP John, you influenced my life and career choice (infantry)

Yep, the reason I play CMBN too.

I remember reading the rules for SL before even my first game 35(?) or more years ago. I remember thinking "wow, firing while it's the other players turn, -2 for moving in the open and double FP for point blank; that's really elegant". Might seem simple now but it was things like that that hooked me onto SL. I'd wargamed before but SL was satisfying and, as I say, elegant.