Nashorn

wadepm

Nashorn's chance of a first round hit at range is much higher than the Russian heavies. From the look, it seems the Russians are having difficulty finding the range. Short shots, long shots. It does appear that German rangefinding superiority has been abstracted. You won't find anyone standing on the hillside with a big coincidence rangefinder calling out number's though.

Is the Nashorn/Hornisse thing like the Ferndinand/Elefant thing: two names for the same thing?

Yes. Hornisse means hornet while Nashorn means rhino. It seems that Hitler preferred big mammals over insects, bigger than Ferdinand Porsche even. Which is stupid - elephants and rhinos are herbivores whereas hornets are carnivores and Ferdinand Porsche was omnivore, therefore much scarier.

Researching the vehicle types available at the relevant dates in this theater it appears Nashorn was do a lot of the heavy lifting in this theater. Elephants and Jadgpanthers were 'elsewhere' at the time, most of them perversely deciding to show up just beyond the basegame's timeframe. :)

So a scenario designer can use them?

Yes, I recently defended in a scenario as Soviets against a German KG that had company of Nashorns supporting about a battaion of infantry and some StuGs.

This close swampy and forested terrain was not a good place for the Nashorn to operate, to its advantage, however. And they are vulnerable to AT rifles, which won't often kill them but can cause damage and suppression and make crews bail.

I think the big maps and lack of Borg spotting we have now shows the usefulness of self propelled AT guns like the Nashorn and Marders much better than the CMX1 engine did.

Yeah. I played "The Hornets' Nest" in CMx1 several times, but could not get them to come up to their reputation, or even close. In a long range shootout they should be devastating.

Michael

What will be critical that BF enables authentic accuracy at long ranges. I recall that on the huge maps that were possible in CM1, that 88mm guns and Nashorns etc became increasingly and unrealistically inaccurate as ranges approached and exceeded 1,000m.

I recall experimenting with making such weapons Crack or Elite in order to get them to perform historically.

Does anyone know of a scenario with Nashorns on a large open map?

I must confess I haven't actually played with the Nashorns, but my experience with Marders is that they can survive longer than they did in CMX1 and I carried that experience over to the Nashorns as a generalization of self propelled AT guns.

So, we really are going to need 3000m+ LOS maps.

Hmmm... I just set up a "range" scenario at 3000m+ with Nashorns VS T34s and IS-2 and the Nashorns had trouble spotting anything at that range. The IS-2s did not and were able to dispatch the Nashorns after a few minutes...

The FO team could see the IS-2s and the T34s but the Nashorns seemed blind.

Bobo