Does 3.0 help in the grapevines (Vineyards)

I know things can bog down FPS wise when I get in those areas with units as far as FPS.

The large scenario in FI about the german counter attack towards the beaches (lots of vines), cant remember the name, is still unplayable on my computer (Id say I have a high end system).

balanced/best

edit: took a look at the exploded brz files. apparently the "gravpevine" terrain is missing lower level LODs, I think tis the reason for causing stutters and slowdowns. Something easy for BFC to fix but 3rd party can't do anything bout it. So... BFC plz fix or do sumthing?

I was playing on best/best.

balanced/best

edit: took a look at the exploded brz files. apparently the "gravpevine" terrain is missing lower level LODs, I think tis the reason for causing stutters and slowdowns. Something easy for BFC to fix but 3rd party can't do anything bout it. So... BFC plz fix or do sumthing?

Nice find! And seconded.. BFC, please fix or do sumfink!

edit: took a look at the exploded brz files. apparently the "gravpevine" terrain is missing lower level LODs,

Can you describe what you're seeing in the BRZs that makes you think this? I want to talk to our artists about it but I need to know what I'm finding out about. :) Thanks!

balanced/best

This may be because they are simply removed entirely rather than transitioning to distant LoDs (but this also looks terrible, especially since their base textures have no indications the tiles are vineyards).

Can you describe what you're seeing in the BRZs that makes you think this? I want to talk to our artists about it but I need to know what I'm finding out about. :) Thanks!

hi phil,

apparently most models in CM have lower level LODs, for example for "tree1" there's

tree1.mdr

tree1-lod-1.mdr

tree1-lod-4.mdr

each decreasing in poly count (and ofc file size) to optimize rendering, a tree very far away is rendered with lod4 and the other one close to the player's POV rendered with lod1. pretty well known among 3d modellers i reckon. the grapevine models don't have them. add that the grape trees are packed so tight together, when the player moves the camera a lot of polys are rendered together. it should be a reason for the stuttering imo.

This may be because they are simply removed entirely rather than transitioning to distant LoDs (but this also looks terrible, especially since their base textures have no indications the tiles are vineyards).

yehh, it seems they were felt to cause trouble so render distance is deliberately decreased, since one can see trees from the opposite side of the map, but vineyards only appear when very close. but doesn't look like it's enough. actually... iirc when there's a big poly count model it's always nice to have lower level models to ease the load in, rather than having none at all and cause a big jump. but hey just imo.

Agreed. Vineyards right now look really bad from even medium distances, because the game is removing them entirely at that range and leaving not much more than a bald hill in their place.

Hot Mustard is the scenario i think that is being referred to, many vineyards. My machine, which is quite powerful, stalls once the turn is loaded. if i turn trees off, and use the keyboard to zoom out i can usually regain control of the display after about 10-15s.

Yes, thats the one!

BIG NEWS!

The just-released update/fix for the 3.0 upgrade has worked a miracle - very much prettier vineyards with very much faster framerate. This officially places first 2nd programmer Phil Culliton in 'genius programmer' category. :)

Sounds great. The Mac folks are awaiting Phil's programing artistry to bless the CMBN & CMFI v3.0 Mac upgrades. "very much prettier vineyards with very much faster framerate..." calls for a fine few fine vintages and some Hot Mustard;)

BIG NEWS!

The just-released update/fix for the 3.0 upgrade has worked a miracle - very much prettier vineyards with very much faster framerate. This officially places first 2nd programmer Phil Culliton in 'genius programmer' category. :)

Yes...but does he have his own jar?