Anti-virus software and version 3.0

I had been thinking of getting the CMBN big bundle but am a bit surprised that I have to buy version 2.0 and then upgrade to 3.0. Why can't I just buy a version 3.0 bundle and have done with it?

My other problem is that I installed avira anti-virus today and the first thing it did is permanently disable the CMBN demo. Try as I might, I can't seem to get Avira it to let me run it. It's not just a question of disabling during installation, because any time I run a scan I'm potentially looking at a $100+ piece of software getting disabled.

These two experiences are making me wonder whether I really need CMBN enough to put up with this level of aggravation. Any assistance (and useful commentary) from the powers that be would be appreciated.

Because 3.0 just came out yesterday. Next year it will probably be absorbed into the main DLs. But they need to make some money from it first.

You need to go in and exclude the CMBN installer, desktop exe, and main folders from future scans. That's what I do in Norton. I even had Windows give me a warning last night after I had Norton exclude the new upgrade stuff. It's a PIA but it is what it is. BUT once you do that you'll be fine.

Mord.

These two experiences are making me wonder whether I really need CMBN enough to put up with this level of aggravation. Any assistance (and useful commentary) from the powers that be would be appreciated.

Nice, the anti virus software that prevents you from making use of your computer. Oh, not useful commentary - sorry :D

Here is what I do to deal with this on the machine that has anti virus software: I setup a special directory for BattleFront games (since it is the only game I play) and tell the anti virus software to ignore anything in that directory. That way I can install anything from BFC and it all just works.

Norton users have been known to burn the company in effigy out of frustration. I had Avast! installed and it created such unbelievable headaches that I had to yank it entirely, though Moon at the time assured me that nobody besides me was having such problems. I believe (based on nothing in particular) that CM being encrypted and beyond the anti-virus software's investigation capabilities raises red flags where no red flags are needed.

Norton users have been known to burn the company in effigy out of frustration. I had Avast! installed and it created such unbelievable headaches that I had to yank it entirely, though Moon at the time assured me that nobody besides me was having such problems. I believe (based on nothing in particular) that CM being encrypted and beyond the anti-virus software's investigation capabilities raises red flags where no red flags are needed.

I have been using Avast! (free version no less) for four or more years. Best AV I have ever used imo, don't get me going about any Norton garbage. The first thing I do when starting up a new computer is trash Norton and delete any easy access Internet Explorer icons, then install Avast! and Firefox with adblocker.

I disable Avast! prior to installing certain programs like CM. That works for me, no issues at all with Avast! as my AV.

Same problems here! After spending the entire DAY,Tues. on trying to get 3.0 working properly.it still shows up as version 2.10. even after a complete uninstall and reinstall of CMBN,CW and MG,it also keeps getting flagged by my Norton AV and has to be disabled to install? it even tries installing CMBN in a different folder than the other CM titles? Then I even got a CTD while playing CMRT?This is not a good way to attract new Customers!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Same problems here! After spending the entire DAY,Tues. on trying to get 3.0 working properly.it still shows up as version 2.10. even after a complete uninstall and reinstall of CMBN,CW and MG,it also keeps getting flagged by my Norton AV and has to be disabled to install? it even tries installing CMBN in a different folder than the other CM titles? Then I even got a CTD while playing CMRT?This is not a good way to attract new Customers!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree completely!!!!!!!!!!!

You definitely need to let Norton know how they are failing their customers. No one should have to put up with such faulty software!!! And you PAID for it!!!

I used Norton, oh, many years ago. You know, when it was good. Pre-millennium or so. Now, as you've discovered, it controls your computer.

I've used the SAME installation software for the game that you're using. Yet, I don't have the problems you've mentioned. Either our hardware is very different, or the OTHER software is causing an issue.

I vote "Norton".

Good luck. Sincerely. Open a ticket with Norton. Open a ticket with BFC (help desk). One of them will get you up and running. (Guess which one I think it will be?)

Ken

I had problems with AVG free edition wiped out my start up files

Removed AVG and installed Avast antivirus free edition works fine now.

I think the above problem show up when I installed the CMRT demo.

I may try installing the CMRT demo again hope no problems show up.

Right now I am running CMBN/CW/MG with 3.0 engine upgrade No Problems.

Regards

Lane

I used Norton, oh, many years ago. You know, when it was good.

oh man, this was never, ever true.

Or get behind a good hardware / software firewall and ditch AV software entirely. Take its drain off your system and don't install anything but software from trusted sources.

Things will run faster and you will have less install problems.

Terrible advice. Get Microsoft Security Essentials or upgrade to Windows 8 and be done with it.

Or live next door to a network security expert, be very nice to him and his family, and when you do have that occasional problem with Norton or any other Mfg.'s anti virus stuff or any other software problem, give him shout for help over the fence, while he's relaxing in his pool. Works for me every time!