Scenario Author Mode?

I've used the scenario author mode in RT. I fire up the scenario and set it rolling. The idea is to see if the AI (with the human player side not reacting) can wipe out the opposition. If it can I know I've a good AI plan! It's also useful to periodically check that everything is running OK.

For AI Plan debugging I use 1 player WEGO (Turn based) which allows me to fast forward turns if required or even save a game file to check something out.

GMC,

I appreciate what you said in your 4th sentence.

But sometimes I watch multiple versions of the scenario and a tiny difference is seen which can really change things. A player side AT gun decides to fire a few HE rounds and delay an AI infantry attack. Player scout team has just that slight bit of wiggle to MP40 the assaulting sappers!

I use WEGO also. For scenario tests.

Have you ever had AI teams do breaching?

I think I've seen it once during the British Campaign with the CW module in CMBN. Defending Garvus a team blew a hole in the wall to get at my dug in troops in the building behind but were cut down by close range fire as they tried to filter through the small opening.

Not a common occurrence.

GMC,

I appreciate what you said in your 4th sentence.

But sometimes I watch multiple versions of the scenario and a tiny difference is seen which can really change things. A player side AT gun decides to fire a few HE rounds and delay an AI infantry attack. Player scout team has just that slight bit of wiggle to MP40 the assaulting sappers!

I use WEGO also. For scenario tests.

Have you ever had AI teams do breaching?

Totally agree - but my first method is used to check the general feel of the AI Plan. After playing as the AI player (so I can get a feel of the terrain etc I design the first AI Plan). After that I use three phases - first human player sits tight and let the AI Plan roll- check out general feel and intent and effectiveness of AI Plan. This usually highlights any major tweaks. Next phase is play the against the AI Plan and see how human player intervention may derail, then adjust AI Plan. Last phase is probably the most time consuming, and often there are a few backtracking phases (seeing as I mostly like designing large scenarios one AT gun doing it stuff is often not enough to derail the situation.

Oh last thing - I always think big picture and try not to micro manage my AI plan. Down that road lies madness...

Great tips George, now that you point it out, it seems so obvious, but I'd never previously thought of just sitting there as the human player in testing and doing nothing to check the overall feel of it. This tip will now save me sitting and doing hard sums to work out ratios and translating those into force picks.

The micro management thing ... certainly does lead to madness ... big handfuls is the approach I take.