Noobie just picked up CMBN big bundle

Hey guys, after watching youtube vids and playing the demo I picked up the big bundle. I am brand new at the series and very excited to start playing. If there are any mentors out there looking for a student let me know, as I have heard this game has a large learning curve. See you all on the battlefield.

Look for the post by Agusto at URL = http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=114053&page=4

Here's what he says.

You usually learn as you go, but there are tons of excellent tutorials on youtube, like the one done by the Armchair General magazine:

There is a Wiki:

http://combatmission.wikia.com/wiki/Combat_Mission_Wiki

And this Website:

http://battledrill.blogspot.co.at/20...lems-cmtp.html

Further info can be found in any reasonable article about real WW2 tactics. The rule of the thumb in CM is that if you do it the way you would be doing it in real life, you are doing it right.

Antmf,

If you'd like a peek at another noob's CMBN breaking in period, you might find mine of some interest.

John Kettler vs CMBN

http://battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=105379

In any event, am sure you're going to be absolutely thrilled with your purchase, for which CMx3.0 is now pending. That's the beauty of the new engine family. The latest and the greatest in one game appears ere long in the others, regardless of theater. Thus, CMBN lagged CMFI for a time, then eclipsed it. CMRT eclipses both, but in a few months, CMBN and CMFI will be upgradeable to 3.0, and you'll be there!

Regards,

John Kettler

Congratulations! The big bundle is a smart choice. And, very likely, it will end up being pennies per hour of enjoyment--or even less.

As for the content, start out with the Devon Basic Training Campaign, then go to Task Force Raff. After that, The Road to Montebourg is a good choice for newer players.

As for scenarios, Platoon Patrol and CW 18 Platoon are excellent starter scenarios.

Oh, and here's one must-have mod:

http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=314&func=fileinfo&id=1099

After (and only after!) all your installations and patching are complete, create a folder called "Z" in your Data folder and place the unzipped mod file in that. It is a much nicer flame effect than the stock one.

Enjoy!

Thanks for the campaign/scenarios recommendation.

And thank you for the suggestion of the flame mod. It looks stunning. I also got Juju's tweaked UI and desktop mods (fantastic!), veins_tracers mod, and the veins_explosions and smoke mod.

Will your flame mod work with veins_explosions and smoke mod?

You're more than welcome. Thanks!

IIRC, all the veins stuff will work together, though I only have the flames installed at the moment.

Yeah, JuJu's TUI is awesome! I use it myself. I just didn't want to overload you with mod suggestions. Later, you might want to check out EZ's US uniforms as well.

On the Devon and Task Force Raff campaigns, be aware that your Normandy manual has sections devoted to guiding you through a learning process with those. So, be sure to check those out.

Alrighty, dive in soldier!

Yes. In scenarios, the designer chooses forces for each side.

You can play QBs against the AI. I've spent way too much of my CM life doing that because I like smaller battles and it's just so...convenient.

However, the AI in QBs is usually much less effective than it is in designer-made scenarios. Also, the AI wills sometimes put almost all of its force at the map edge. This means you might spend most of your game time carefully looking for the enemy, only to find it and slaughter it in the last 5 minutes of the game. -Not satisfying.

Still, QBs vs the AI can be fun and they do offer the benefit of the player getting to take equipment for test drives. For the more exotic equipment, you might need to reduce or turn off the Rarity restrictions.

H2H offers the best game experience. The AI can be amazing at the micro level, but cannot react at the macro level (this will begin to change in CMRT/with the 3.0 upgrade because it brings in the first trigger functionality to CMx2). So, for example, if you breach the AI's line, it will not change its positions to adapt like a human player would.

QBs can be any kind of scenario: ME, Attack, Assault, Probe, etc. That is with either a human or vs AI.

Scenarios can be designed for multiple modes of play. The designer can make it so that you can play either a human or the AI, or he can make it so that you can only play one or the other. Sometimes, you can only play as one side. The thing to remember is to carefully check the scenario info before you start. That way, you avoid playing a scenario that is only meant to be played H2H or as one particular side vs. the AI. The game will still let you start such a scenario, so to avoid spending an hour only to find out that you cannot play vs the AI, for example, you must check the info before playing the scenario (and when looking for scenarios in the Repository).

Campaigns are currently single-player vs AI only.

Thanks for the campaign/scenarios recommendation.

And thank you for the suggestion of the flame mod. It looks stunning. I also got Juju's tweaked UI and desktop mods (fantastic!), veins_tracers mod, and the veins_explosions and smoke mod.

Will your flame mod work with veins_explosions and smoke mod?

Some of the major sound mods are works of art and really help bring the game to life. You should give some of the ones in the repository a whirl when you are settled in.

Okay, last thing before I go quiet for the work week...

Once you get a little experience under your belt, and are ready to play on Elite, be sure to try this little gem (single-player, as Allied):

http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=314&func=fileinfo&id=1516

You are the hunter and the hunted. It is one of the best small/tiny scenarios I've played.

Thanks for more great scenario suggestions and all.

niall78 - what is the sound mod du jour? There is so much stuff in the repository that it's difficult to determine what the best stuff is.

Thanks!

Away from my gaming computer right now and I can't remember which one I have installed at the moment. I'll check my Z folder when I get home in a few hours and let you know then.

niall78 - what is the sound mod du jour? There is so much stuff in the repository that it's difficult to determine what the best stuff is.

Thanks!

When you're 'settled in' I'd suggest downloading them all and pick and choose which individual sounds you like best. These sound mods are all pretty diverse.

Also, try Dietrich's_CMBN_German_voices_v1.0 and Mord's immersive american voices mod v_1.0a. You can even 'renumber' these, so you get to hear both the stock- and the modded voices for even greater variety.

On a final note, if there's a must-have mod you should really get, then download all of Tanks a Lot's CMBN building mods. You won't regret it!

On a final note, if there's a must-have mod you should really get, then download all of Tanks a Lot's CMBN building mods. You won't regret it!

+1 to that.

Also, Pat TaL did the commercial and modular buildings to the same standard.

Mods. It's a way of life :D

I have been playing this for a couple of months so im a noob to.You can learn very quickly.What helped me was a monster tutorial of combat mission on youtube.Its posted here somewhere on the forums but i just googled it.Gives a good outline of how the controls work.takes awhile but you will find this is the best tactical simulator for ww2 without a doubt.BTW this is my first post here hi everyone.

By the way I can't recommend Aris Allied Specific (Vehicles) and Aris Axis Specific (Vehicles) the other terrain and sound/UI mods are also very good. These packs save hours downloading and sorting individual files. In fact with all four of these alone you'll have revamped stock CMBN and its add-ons into a whole other beast. They build on Battlefronts great work and take the game to an even higher level. I marvel at the quality of work CM modders have achieved. We the fans owe them much gratitude.

All four packs found here :

http://www.thefewgoodmen.com/thefgmforum/threads/mods-aris-and-other-popular-mods-combined-into-easy-to-download-packs.17477/