New guy with some questions on game please

Antmf

Hey guys, Love military type games, and have some questions for you veterans of this game if you would be so kind to take a look at.

1-Which combat Mission game is recommended for a complete noob?

2- Is this an RTS game like Company of Heroes or Men of War?

3- How is the realism of the game, and is it micro intensive?

PLease let me know. Thanks you guys...

G,day

1.hard to say,personaly if it was me,CMBN and its add ons,as i like the normandy theatre.however Red thunder is almost out,so maybe the eastern front is worth the wait.the games are all the same game play wise.

2.can be real time,but the majority play wego.youtube would probably be best for some better ideas on how it works.nothing like COH or MOW,no hit points.simulated real combat.

3. as real as it gets within reason and can be very micro intensive,once you start to master the concept,you'll be glad it is.

welcome to CM,you wont find anything close to this game,if ww2 is your thing? you wont be disappointed.

edit.i'd like to add,the game really shines when you play another human opponent.get a few games under your belt and find a CM club to join and start playing humans,its the only way to fly.

in a a nutshell its goes something like this

i plot my moves and hit the button,you plot your moves and hit the button.

the two files merge and you watch the result as a 1 minute action phase file,rinse and repeat til the time limit expires or surrender.

as i said ,watch some youtube clips and you shall see

Sorry for the noob question but what is wego?

We Go is a turn based play method where you plot your moves in an orders phase and then you hit a 'Go' button and watch the action for 60 seconds. It allows for simultaneous orders plotting between opponents. Think of it as real time with mandated pauses every sixty seconds. The main thing about We Go is that you get to rewind and watch a movie sequence of the action as often as you like so you never miss anything while with Real Time if you miss it you miss it.

G,day

edit.i'd like to add,the game really shines when you play another human opponent.get a few games under your belt and find a CM club to join and start playing humans,its the only way to fly.

Where/how is the best place to get into a CM club, please? Do folks use TheBlitz.org to find opponents?

Thanks!

Wow thank you very much guys. You have a very nice community over here. Which I plan on being part of :)

Last question of the evening. I think I am going to start off with CMBN and would like to know what package I should get? Do I get the big bundle or the commonwealth bundle? I rather not spend 95.00 right off the bat on the big bundle but if its wroth it I will. Thanks again all...

Do any of you know if the demo comes with tutorial? I only see battles , the campaign link is grayed out.

There is a tutorial campaign in purchased CMBN. Starts with basic moving scenario. Then basic shooting scenario. Then an attack battle scenario. Then... I don't know what comes next. I jumped to the full game at this point.

Buy Combat Mission: Battle for Normandy (or Fortress Italy and it's 2.0 upgrade) and the v2.0 upgrade first (you can buy the commonwealth and market garden module later).

Combat Mission: Battle for Normandy

http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage_bfc&product_id=279&category_id=36&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=26

Combat Mission: Battle for Normandy - v2.0 upgrade (this upgrade will work with all the modules if/when you buy them later)

http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage_bfc&product_id=339&category_id=36&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=26

That should keep you busy until Combat Mission: Red Thunder is released (that is most likely released in 1-3 weeks from now) which will bring the CMx2 engine up to v3.0, with stuff like tank riders and flamethrowers. Two or three months after that we will be able to buy the v3.0 upgrades for Normandy and Fortress Italy as well.

I'll second that. If you get Combat Mission: Battle for Normandy, make sure you also buy the V2.0 upgrade package and patch it to the latest version (which is 2.12). That way, you will have the latest graphic and gameplay enhancements.

Be sure to read the installation instructions carefully for the order in which to install and patch things. It can get confusing if you go with a bundle and it is important to get it right.

Welcome to the best game series ever!

Last question of the evening. I think I am going to start off with CMBN and would like to know what package I should get? Do I get the big bundle or the commonwealth bundle? I rather not spend 95.00 right off the bat on the big bundle but if its wroth it I will. Thanks again all...

Well, if you like the idea of the game, and you've had a fiddle with the CMFI and managed to not run screaming for the hills, you might as well get the big bundle of CMBN goodness. It's certainly worth $95.

To directly answer your initial questions:

1-Which combat Mission game is recommended for a complete noob?

Any of the "Base games" will do. They're all complete and offer similar levels of challenge for the newb to get into. They all have a "tutorial campaign". Do be conscious, though, that not all the campaigns after the basic training are built to be gentle introductions for the beginner (unlike many games out there where the campaign starts off simple and ramps up the difficulty).

2- Is this an RTS game like Company of Heroes or Men of War?

It's arguably a strategy game, and it can be played real time. It does deal almost solely with decisions at the tactical level, though. There's no strategic scale consideration (what to build, research etc) and almost no operational scale options (what units to use in a given engagement, where to prioritise and stockpile supply etc). I say "almost" because there are occasional situations in campaigns where you might be given the choice to use more force in battle A than in battle A-prime, but that's the exception. Most campaigns don't deal with any development in the units you're jockeying, either; they tend not to take place over a long enough period that you could consider a unit doing much improving.

3- How is the realism of the game, and is it micro intensive?

It is, within the constraints of reasonable computer builds, the most realistic thing you'll see in the sphere of commercially available military conflict simulation gaming. There are, inevitably, some things that seem to turn out a bit squiffy sometimes because the game has to take shortcut routes to some resolution mechanics to keep the thing playable, and due to the limitations inherent in a computer AI but the overall result is extremely credible. Miraculously so for the size of the programming team. And the level of detail is simply incredible... Every AFV has its internals drawn like a high end model kit...

Yes CMFI and I like it but have not gotten very far due to the steep learning curve and the nonexistence of a tutorial in demo. but I do like the game very much and I know I will get a grip on things with time...

If you haven't seen these yet, be sure to check this excellent tactics tutorial series out:

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/combat-mission-battle-for-normandy-tactics-a-video-series

Where can one find a CM club to join, please? Do folks use TheBlitz.org to find opponents?

Thanks!