New guy with some questions on game please

Antmf

Right on. I used to play a lot of Tiller's Squad Battles games on The Blitz, so I am familiar with their structure.

But, I will definitely check out The Few Good Men.

Hey Antmf - once we both purchase the game (hopefully the same one), and get familiar with the system, we should play some head-to-head learning games.

Let's stay in touch.

Right on. I used to play a lot of Tiller's Squad Battles games on The Blitz, so I am familiar with their structure.

But, I will definitely check out The Few Good Men.

Hey Antmf - once we both purchase the game (hopefully the same one), and get familiar with the system, we should play some head-to-head learning games.

Let's stay in touch.

Would love to. Which one you getting? I am gonna go with CMBN and the 2.0 Upgrade. I hope you are getting that as well. Please let me know.

Was actually thinking about getting it today.

P.S. Another question for you guys out there. To play another player is it PBEM or do you go head to head making your moves at same time then hit play? How does the multiplayer work? Also how long does it take to complete a multiplayer game?

P.S. Another question for you guys out there. To play another player is it PBEM or do you go head to head making your moves at same time then hit play? How does the multiplayer work? Also how long does it take to complete a multiplayer game?

Player A watches the replay, gives his orders, generates his turn and sends it to player B, who watches the same replay from the other perspective and gives his orders. The turn is then calculated, B sends the calculated turn to A and the cycle has done one turn.

The only multiplayer mode explicitly supported is 1v1 (2 humans, so multiplayer). If you have teams on each side, each team is effectively either A or B in the above sequence and the members of the teams will send each other saves of the order phase (and each have a copy of the original turn to watch the replays) so each gets the chance to add their orders to the set that will be calculated. Only a very few people have reported back on that sort of game, that I know of, since the more people involved, the longer each turn takes, and the more chance there is of a breakdown delaying things... It seems to satisfy an itch that some have, though.

When you're setting up a 1v1 game, the frequency of expected turn return is generally something that's laid out up front. A turn per day is probably the modal frequency, so a 1 hour scenario would take a couple of months to play out. If you've got an opponent in just the right time zone, three turns per day isn't beyond possible, and if you've got someone "on tap" as it were, then it only depends on how fast each of you can absorb the turn and formulate their response. If you're flying "multiplayer", then you can probably multiply that by the number of people, plus some for SNAFUs, out-of-sync schedules and the like.

Thanks Womble. Is H2HH mainly for when you have many games going at once, to help you keep track of them?

Antmf - I will also get CMBN and the 2.0 upgrade. I might just splurge for the complete package, but I'm not sure yet. I really want Red Thunder when it releases, so I may save some dough for that. I will send you a personal message through this forum with my e-mail address.

Hey guys, Love military type games, and have some questions for you veterans of this game if you would be so kind to take a look at.

1-Which combat Mission game is recommended for a complete noob?

Buy them all and kiss the rest of your life goodbye.....:)

Thanks Womble. Is H2HH mainly for when you have many games going at once, to help you keep track of them?

Well, it does all the heavy lifting for you like copying the file from your Dropbox into the right savegame place and tells you the turn is waiting.

So even if you only have one game going, it's still pretty darn useful. :)

Also is there a tutorial in game or I learn as I go?

You usually learn as you go, but there are tons of excellent tutorials on youtube, like the one done by the Armchair General magazine:

There is a Wiki:

http://combatmission.wikia.com/wiki/Combat_Mission_Wiki

And this Website:

http://battledrill.blogspot.co.at/2013/08/combat-mission-tactical-problems-cmtp.html

Further info can be found in any reasonable article about real WW2 tactics. The rule of the thumb in CM is that if you do it the way you would be doing it in real life, you are doing it right.

Further info can be found in any reasonable article about real WW2 tactics. The rule of the thumb in CM is that if you do it the way you would be doing it in real life, you are doing it right.

While this is an entirely valid rule of thumb, sometimes how to get your troops to do it the real life way can take more than a little figuring out. :) We all quickly get the idea that there is a TacAI, but finding its capabilities and limits can take some time, for example.

What is H2HH and where do I get it from?

It is an optional tool for handling Head to Head game files. It isn't needed when playing 1 or 2 guys. But if you get 4 or 5 games going at once it really simplifies things.

It automatically transfers files to and from Dropbox. And lets you know its your turn for each game. Also displays time since last turn. So when something is a few days stale you can ping your opponent.