Upcoming Mods

Canada Guy

Also without wanting to open up the endless debate about the colour of Soviet tanks, the current ones look too olive drab for my liking and I would welcome the return of the old CMBB blue-green alternative

One thing that has changed since the original CMBB came out is the recovery from various rivers ans swamps of entire, complete T34 and KV-1 vehciles often in their original paintwork.

Examples like this one: http://www.diving.ee/articles/art035.html

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?f=79&t=114287

which shows the colour is quite a green colour.

Russian tank paint color is named 4BO. You can find paint chips of it on the web. You can also find infinite variations of it on models on the web. Dark, light, dull, saturated, dirty, weathered. US olive drab seems to have considerable variation depending on who manufactured the paint when. We can only imagine the paint variations within Russia at the time. The CMRT examples you have to consider when the screenshots were made. Late September environment is less 'bright' than late June. Then there's cloud cover, time of day, whether shadows/shaders/movie mode is turned on or off. :)

73020_zps5157d3fc.jpg~original

0_32e33_17852ac_XL_zps19bbd7f0.jpg~original

"Russian tank paint color is named 4BO"

I know, I have seen whole modelling forums devoted to 4BO and websites too:

http://www.4bogreen.com/colors

In an attempt to pin it down, people have used the original recipe and mixed it in real life, trudged round tank museums looking at old tanks (most of which have been repainted a dozen times since the war) examined ones pulled out of swamps, looked at the vehicles at Aberdeen Proving Ground (which travelling by sea had salt corrosion and had considerably darkened since they set off), looked at the original paint chips held on file at the Ministry of Defence...etc, etc.

The most salient point is that this was not a stable colour, on any tank it would weather quite quickly and the materials used by the Soviets in the manufacture of the paints were not of the best quality and not colour stable.

But I do like the old Uncle Tgt range of bluey-green (and I build my models in that colour too.) So if anyone has a few hours/days spare.........

The other thing that most people miss is that if you use "authentic" color paint on a model it usually won't look "realistic" unless you spend all your time looking at a real tank from a few inches away.

Distance (and as Mikey D points out) the light, weather conditions, dirt, sun bleaching, oil smears, misty air etc etc all change the look of the color.

That's also the reason why in CM, the models may look better at one level of view, but less so at another level.

My suggestion is that for the most "realistic" look, one needs to study RL colors from at least a couple hundred feet away in overcast conditions and try to duplicate that look/color on your mods. (Same for uniforms or anything else actually.)

I’ll Have these when released, but some are universal and are already availble:

Vin’s Animated text - (as always with thanks for Marco Bergman’s graphics contributions)

Vin geometric FOW icons - (Special thanks to Juju, Wolfe, and Bil for providing a good base to start from to add my contributions, and concepts to.)

The mod has special geometric shapes for each types of unit in Red (axis) Grey (FOW)/ Blue (allied) Khaki (FOW),

Optional FOW colors to choose from – Tan, Green, Olive Green,

New icons, and new distinctive geometric shapes.

The mod can be used whole, or cherry picked to use with other icon mods, or stock icons.

Vin Arrow Bases – Available already, and will work with ALL CM games. Changes the bases to an arrow shape for better seeing unit facing while eliminating most of the base from under the unit so the models look better.

Right Facing Weapons, and Unit Portraits – Flips stock weapon silhouettes to better accommodate the text.

Easy Vis Full Color Command Buttons – Command buttons change to full color when hovered over, or selected.

With the Soviet uniforms being fairly standard brown colour it would be good to get some camouflage versions for the Recon units (as we will not get any Airborne units until later with their camo uniforms.)

To make this work, it would be helpful if BFC would permit the recon units to have different skins than standard infantry. Otherwise, changing the recon skins to camo will similarly change the other infantry to camo.

I also hope there are different skins for Guard formations, and for cavalry. It would be nice to jazz them up a bit if that hasn't been done already.

So much is possible with the new Mod Tags. From the product overview page:

Customized "Mod Tags" for most graphics. This allows scenario designers to specify specific mods be used for a specific Scenario. If CM fails to find the specified mod it will use the default

The scenario author can substitute any texture for the stock ones in this way. You can also do this after the fact in the Editor. There are many, many possibilities for creativity with this new option. I did a few tests that may see the light of day after release when I have more time to polish things up.

'Mod tags' has one hurdle out get over, that will be getting individual scenarios going that actually use individual custom mods. Its like rolling a boulder down hill. The hardest part is going to be dislodging it so you can sending it tumbling. A player can always go in and edit a standing scenario to accept a new particular mod that he thinks is appropriate for that one battle.

I'm still on the fence as to whether I'm going to buy RT, but if I do I don't think I could stop myself from doing something with/to that UI. Even if it's just to get rid of that hideous green color. ;)

Please do....it is now a mature system and an interesting subject and it will be really good once we get snow.

Agreed about the UI - in CMBB Dark Steel was always my favourite but many of the others were very good such as GURRAS Eastern Front interface, especially the later ones for CMAK such as VOSSIE's that helped brighten up the screen with warning colours, etc.

I'm still on the fence as to whether I'm going to buy RT, but if I do I don't think I could stop myself from doing something with/to that UI. Even if it's just to get rid of that hideous green color. ;)

Ohhh we really need your UI mods for the east front Juju. I hope to see both you and Marco release your quality stuff.

I also hope there are different skins for Guard formations, and for cavalry. It would be nice to jazz them up a bit if that hasn't been done already.

There are uniforms for regular infantry, Guards (Infantry uniforms with the Guards breast badge and some additional decorations) and Cavalry (infantry uniform with dark blue pants, blue pipping on shoulder straps etc.). Due to some problems, which will addressed in fuure modules, and lack of time, the game uses the deffault infantry uniform (including raspberry pipping) for the cavalry units. The cavalry uniform is an already included "mod tag" that must be "activated" by scenario designers.

At game release time, before someone says that one or two Guardsmen have "lost" their Guards breast badge, please, notice that not all Guardsmen wore the badge. It was not authomatically awarded to any soldier serving in a Guards unit, but you had to prove good conduct (and political fiability etc) in order to be awarded the badge. It means some isolated Guards soldiers might have not the badge (yet).

I think i am going to make a splash screen / music mod for CMRT. All other splash screen mods i ve found at the repository for all other ww2 CMx2 titles were all in black and white. I feel that is taking the life out of the pictures, IMO it is much more immersive to have colored ones. I already started to collect appropriate pictures, examples below:

http://img845.imageshack.us/img845/3887/panzerivfarbbild2012pic.jpg

http://static.fjcdn.com/pictures/WW2+Color+Combat+Photo+Whermacht_2c40a8_3803259.jpg

EDIT: btw, i would be very happy if anyone could point me to any eastern front high quality photograph in colour. High quality color photos of that period are quite rare, even on the internet.

Try here: http://www.ww2incolor.com/

And guess who's made up his mind and started preliminary work on his upcoming UI mod?

Oh yeah, me.

I could already do with some help at this point. I have no clue as to what the 1943 Soviet rank structure looks like and I'm also having trouble finding useful pics or links.

Any of you grog boys (or one of the testers) here got some info on that? If so, help me out, please?