Rpg's and molotov

zmoney

zmoney and Michael Emrys,

I don't recall where I saw it, but I recently read the account of a German officer in Tunisia who reported interrogating a U.S. POW about the bazooka. The GI told what he knew, but it was kind of garbled. I believe that the German officer indicated in his writeup that this didn't altogether square with what they already had from Russia.

Regards,

John Kettler

This is not something you would hand to a wide eyed private who's looking at his last few seconds on earth and ask him to do with a high chance of success, regardless of what they are showing at the Infantry school. It takes practice and wits to accomplish. The glass ampule Smoke grenades (BLENDKÖRPER) are a better bet.

http://www.lonesentry.com/manuals/german-grenades/blendkorper-2h-glass-smoke-grenade.html

And anyway when the hell did infantry smoke grenades start creeping into CM! :D

(private joke for Steve)

The RPG-43 was fairly effective. Hell, there's a modern Russian version that was used on our own vehicles in Iraq and its results were pretty nasty. The main problem was distance. They only go as far as you can throw them. In the forests around Moscow and Minsk this is okay, but out in the steppes of the Ukraine not so much.

Soviets did make use of panzerfaust for whatever that's worth.

For anyone interested, the link shows how murderous the Molotov cocktail can be versus armor. It also shows how any kind of immobilization or other disablement created the conditions making Molotov cocktail attacks eminently doable. Ferdinand losses and loss causes at Kursk.

http://english.battlefield.ru/damages-of-the-ferdinands-dp1.html

Regards,

John Kettler

For anyone interested, the link shows how murderous the Molotov cocktail can be versus armor. It also shows how any kind of immobilization or other disablement created the conditions making Molotov cocktail attacks eminently doable. Ferdinand losses and loss causes at Kursk.

http://english.battlefield.ru/damages-of-the-ferdinands-dp1.html

Regards,

John Kettler

Wow! I love the one "Commander's hatch was hit by the 203 mm shell". That's got to hurt.

• 1 month later...