Been a few years but I'm ready for CMx2

Hi all. I used to spend a lot of time here, mostly for CMBB, and mostly in the old Master Goodale threads.

I was also fortunate enough to work with Battlefront and rune, helping to edit some of the old manuals and scenarios.

Life got in the way -- a marriage and a child will do that -- but I've just downloaded the demo of CMx2 (Battle for Normandy). I tried it a couple of years ago and my computer couldn't handle it. Just picked up a new desktop this week and it's night and day in terms of performance.

I'll give it a proper tryout this week before deciding whether or not to shell out for the bundle. I was a little leery after reading some comments here about a steep learning curve -- I freely admit I suck at tactics =-) -- and that it wasn't much fun for the beer and pretzels crowd. But then I read other comments saying many people were won over after giving the game an honest try by reading the manual and watching a few tutorials.

Anyhoo, good to be back and if any of the old crew are around, hi to them as well! Dave H, Teddy Windsor, pseudoSimonds, Mike the Wino, Keke and whole bunch of other great guys.

And if anyone from Battlefront (or anyone else) needs someone to proofread their scenarios/manuals/etc., feel free to send me a PM.

Welcome back. I hope you enjoy CMx2. I think it is wonderful. And the learning curve is not THAT steep, imho. But learning to play is one thing, learning to play it well is another. I have been playing it for years now, but will probably get my a$$ kicked by many players. No biggie, just play the AI on basic training and wollah :D

Hi Axe,

I never hung out in the Goodale thread much, but I recognize your name and I want to extend my appreciation for your proofreading. It is something there is always need of.

But to get up to date, the initial learning curve is steep, but by no means impossible. If you approach it with patience and systematically, you'll get the hang of it before too long. It is actually pretty logical, which helps, but it is unfamiliar. Just don't expect to jump right in and be going in half an hour like you can with a lot of games. Do the training missions and study the manual. The two are meant to be used in conjunction. A lot of stuff has come out in discussions on this board, but the search engine sucks, so don't be too afraid to ask a question about anything you can't dope out on your own. We've all had to struggle with it and know how that feels. But patience and perseverance will see you through. Myself excepted ;) there aren't many geniuses on this board, and if we managed to figure it out well enough to get by, chances are you will too.

Michael

I haven't done much reading yet, but I am curious if Battlefront is planning on an Eastern Front CMx2 module.

They most serpently are not. They're making an entire new family of games to deal with Bagration and the year following it for starters, as I understand the current plan. Followed up with a new game family for each calendar year of the war on the Ostfront, going forward first.

The BFC x2 structure has "Base games" (so far SF, BN and FI) which are the starters for "families" of modules, which you can pick and choose from. BN has two modules, so far (and that's probably 'it'): CW and MG. If you have BN but not FI, you can have none, either or both of those. But you can't have the Gustav Line module, because that's a module for the FI family. There are also "Packs", in principle, though none have yet been released. Bulge and Bagration will be the base games for new families for WW2.

Emrys is a genius in the same way that Ted Bundy was a feminist.

Welcome back, Axe. Thanks for the compliment!

I've seen a lot of people say the learning curve for CMBN is steep but I never thought so, maybe because I started the CMX2 engine at the beginning, with CMSF. Best thing to do is erase any preconceptions you might have from playing CMBB, from your brain, and approach CMBN with an open mind. There's enough familiarity left from CMX1 that I think you'll be able to grasp the basics fairly easily. But then there's enough changes that you'll be surprised and possibly frustrated trying to wrap your mind around some of the newer concepts. Like my old pal Emrys said, if you have any questions fire away, we'll all be glad to help you out.

Oh, and one more thing, if you have fond memories of those special moments in CMX1 where you'd happen across a really cool scene that you'd have to rewind and watch the action over and over from all angles, you are in for a treat. The 1:1 really adds to the immersion factor and is rife with kick ass moments that will have you pumping your fist or screaming at your monitor...but always with a "that was cool" feeling.

My very first game I had a squad of GIs running across a farmyard and as they went by the farm house a couple Germans started shooting at them. One of the squad members stopped in mid stride, fired a rifle grenade through the window of the house, blew up one of the German riflemen, then proceeded on. It was an awesome little moment and a nice intro to CMBN!

Here's another short example with pics (I thought this was really cool); http://www.battlefront.com/community/showpost.php?p=1486527&postcount=1328

Mord.

My advice would be to take some time to master the camera controls. Find a setup for them that feels comfortable to you. That was the biggest stumbling block for me at first. The camera controls are actually pretty good (these days I zip around the map at will without even thinking about them), but I think it's important to be come adept at using them so you can focus on more important things.

My advice would be to take some time to master the camera controls. Find a setup for them that feels comfortable to you. That was the biggest stumbling block for me at first. The camera controls are actually pretty good (these days I zip around the map at will without even thinking about them), but I think it's important to be come adept at using them so you can focus on more important things.

That was a major sticking point for me initially. I was so used to the old map controls, I felt like I had little to no control over the camera.

In CMBB -- in about half a second -- I could locate, zoom in and look over Ivan's shoulder before I sent him off on a human wave attack.

You suck at tactics? Hmm, sounds like the PERFECT pbem partner. ;) PM me.

C'mon. You know you'll get it. Just buy the whole bundle. It just went on sale. Tell your wife it's for Christmas.

Whelp, that's the narrative that just happened. =-) Downloading the big bundle as I type.

Give me a day or so to get my feet wet.

Whelp, that's the narrative that just happened. =-) Downloading the big bundle as I type.

Give me a day or so to get my feet wet.

Great! Patch it. (v2.12 is the latest.) Then plunge in.

(Yes. Sigh. The patch AND upgrade path can be complex. Read the instructions, then do it. You'll be happier.)

If you haven't played since CMBB, take your time with the tiniest battles first. Replay 'em from each side.

Are you done yet? ;)

Ken

_Axe_,

Welcome back! For a look at mostly what not to do in the CMBN, as seen through the lens of someone who goes all the way back to the CMBO Beta Demo, please see this thread. It details my rather awkward, still going, transition to CMx2 Land via CMBN.

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=105379&highlight=John+Kettler+CMBN

The above thread is full of excellent advice I received, and I'm sure the core principles still hold true, lo these many patches and an upgrade later. I have the full CMBN installed (CMBN+ CW+Upgrade+MG), Version 2.12. If you enjoyed the Demo, then may I urge you to jump on the complete bundle--while you can?

If necessary, have a presentation ready to go extolling the values of a husband at home (not running amok out there with the boys all the time), how inexpensive entertainment and learning (play up your enhanced knowledge of history and geography) it is relative to, say, an all access pass to 70 sports channels, and how it creates an opportunity for her to have girls' night out, secure in the knowledge you'll be home and your abode secure. You see, it's all about effective marketing. And, yes, seasonal angles can and should be used as needed!

c3k,

The only thing funnier than your PBEM/PBDB recruiting drive is how much worse I'd probably be than you. You at least have a lot of not merely combat experience, but of the extra demands from fighting your battles in public against a super tough foe.

Regards,

John Kettler

I just wish I could disable the edge-pushing.

Oh that would be so nice - I trip my self up several times a week with that edge sensitivity.

A lot of stuff has come out in discussions on this board, but the search engine sucks

Google's site keyword has been very helpful in finding things in the forums.

Just type "site:battlefront.com" followed by what you want to search for in the search box. For example to find out what has bee posted about armour cover arcs:

https://www.google.ca/search?q=site%3Abattlefront.com+cover+armor+arc