Wow! Almost fourteen years!

Amazing to think so many of you guys are still here after all this time. Charles and I were pretty sure we were going to be eating Ramen Noodles for most of 2000 while we put out our resumes. Remember, we only had faith that the Internet was a viable way to sell products, we didn't know it would actually work! Kids these days don't know how easy they have it :D

That Alpha battle was a cool scenario for sure. But none of you saw the one that came before it. There was a fatal flaw in the map format and so the game had to be scrapped after a couple of turns. A lot of work down the drain :( That's OK, because the scenario I made for that infamous Alpha match was way more fun.

Steve

Steve,

I used to play Panzer Elite on my roomie's PC--until one fateful day an animated banner ad I espied atop the PEDG (Panzer Elite Development Group) board, a place I frequented with the likes of our now own Claus Bonnesen, as a bunch of us worked to accurize the weapon data.

Once I had the two-scenario CMBO Beta Demo up and running, I pretty much lost my mind. Seeing AFVs about the size of MicroArmourâ„¢ on the screen track and engage targets was practically heart-stopping. What really did it for me, though, was when I saw a StuG III track a moving Sherman, engage and kill it--all using only the limited traverse of the cannon itself! This was particularly effective, in that I'd recently dabbled in some sprite based WW II tactical game using overhead view only, so CMBO was as though another dimension had suddenly appeared from nowhere and forever altered everything. Turns out, that was an entirely accurate observation.

The CMBO Beta Demo was every bit as effective as giving away free samples of crack to create a market demand. And while E-crack certainly lacks the profit margin of the illegal product, it's arguably every bit as addictive. "...came to admit we were powerless over Combat Mission." But as addictions go, the effects are mild--unless you're the girlfriend/boyfriend, spouse or progeny of the addicted one! It's fair to assert, too, that CM has also had some impact on workplace attendance, employee concentration and misuse of office computers. Balancing that, though, is the reduction in stress related illness and workplace assaults (safely working out aggressions which might otherwise be applied to others), as well as enhanced productivity resulting from the ability to fiercely task focus--a necessity for CM success. Call it Zen mastery by wargame! "The PaK exists only to kill the Sherman."

Putting both Mac and PC on the same disk for CMBO was a genius move, and while we Mac folk spent quite a time in CM Mac Siberiaâ„¢ once CMx2 arrived, things now seem to be back on track, and we are accordingly gruntled.

I've been on the CM Forums/Fora since January 2000, and what a ride it's been, is and will be. I do miss the once solid CM community, which wasn't difficult to have when there was only one game, but as the CM line continues to expand (we'd hope with more new blood coming in to fuel it as well), the reality is that we're becoming, I think, progressively more narrow in our CM gaming activities.

There are only so many gaming hours total, so many scarce bucks, and yet we get more games and more modules. I certainly understand the necessity of this approach from the BFC end, nor is it arguable that, at the CMx2 level, the gamers aren't the richer for it, but it can and does lead to progressive dilution of the CM community via the various CM boards.

And since the CM monolith now more nearly resembles a marble quarry, each block becoming an ever more elaborate animated sculpture, it becomes ever trickier to organize a battle with others, for no longer is there the One Game, and the gods of Gaming Goodness are fierce and demanding. "Thou mayest play only if thy game, thy module, thy upgrade and version number are ALL in accord with those of thine opponent!"

You, Charles and all the others there have beaten the enormous odds of failure for a small business, by surviving the oft lethal first year, gotten through the next four, which generally kill off the yearlings, have grown, changed adapted and are still going strong. Along the way, you've completely changed game marketing, created a whole new kind of tactical wargaming and resoundingly kicked the butts of some heavy hitter game companies, reflected in all those well deserved Charles Roberts Awards year after year!

What you've done, to anyone who understands business, the long economic downturn, the general implosion of old school wargames and their firms, the decline of real wargaming, as well as many other matters, is positively breathtaking--and a glowing testament to the power of a dream, sound approach, wild creativity and tons of intestinal fortitude and persistence. Bravo Zulu. Repeat. Bravo Zulu. Well done, BFC, jointly and severally! Were I wearing a hat now, I'd doff it.

Regards,

John Kettler

If ever a game could be dubbed 'life altering' then CMBO was it.

I got hooked with the famous Alpha battle and, like the majority of the other posters, have been along for the ride, ever since.

The only real hiatus for me was CMSF; didn't like modern or real time and, initially, it didn't even work. However it proved to be the 'ugly duckling' and developed into what we have now, the best tactical level game/sim available. With lots more to come!

BFC certainly deserve the congratulations and plaudits and John Kettler sums that up perfectly.

But as addictions go, the effects are mild--unless you're the girlfriend/boyfriend, spouse or progeny of the addicted one!

Don't forget about pets. Surely somewhere there is a CM player who has emerged from a 72 hour session to find his goldfish floating belly up in the tank. Or a cat or a dog standing over his/her bowl with an accusing expression.

:D

Michael

I got rather old in 14 years. But..... speaking of old people...

In the land of the Cowboys, the intoxicated young gunslinger made the old man dance in front of his pack mule with shots from his revolver. As the young gunslinger returned to the saloon, the old man turned to his mule, pulled out a double-barrelled shotgun and cocked both hammers.

The loud clicks carried clearly through the desert air. The crowd stopped laughing.

The young gunslinger heard the sounds too. The crowd watched as the young gunman stared at the old timer and the large gaping holes of those twin barrels.

The barrels of the shotgun never wavered in the old man's hands, as he quietly said: "Son, have you ever licked a mule's ass?"

The gunslinger swallowed hard: “No sir..... but... I've always wanted to."

There are a few lessons here:

* Never be arrogant.

* Don't waste ammunition.

* Whiskey makes you think you're smarter than you are.

* Always, always make sure you know who has the power.

* Don't mess with older people; they didn't get older by being stupid.

Amazing to think so many of you guys are still here after all this time. Charles and I were pretty sure we were going to be eating Ramen Noodles for most of 2000 while we put out our resumes. Steve

And now I'm sure it's all champagne, lobster and wild blue berry pancakes.

:)

Been 14 years for me too. Saw something about a new and innovative game and too a look after seeing good reviews. Actually took it to work-I was at a dot-com that would soon go belly up.

Played CM quite a bit and made a scenario in the editor. Got CMBB a couple years later, but really didn't play it much-in fact hardly touched it and never got Africa.

When I saw CMBN I got the collectors edition, played it a while then moved on to other games.

Started playing h2h a few months ago and I'm hooked. Still a newby.