Building Tactics?

Can anyone shed some light on either Allie or Axis real world infantry tactics concerning buildings where the enemy was not anticipated to be in that building.In the game they seem to be rather dangerous places.Infantry seem to be easily spotted and killed unless hiding.

So what were the real world tactics?

Did they only send in 1-2 men and the majority of the squad would stay behind the building?

Found in the german Wikipedia article on the attack on Stalingrad*:

„Um einen Häuserblock zu nehmen, können sie keine 10 Mann einsetzen, um den Eingang zu nehmen. Sie brauchen aber so viele Leute, die Feuerschutz gewähren, 2 bis 3 Leute, die den Mut haben, auf den Eingang zuzuspringen. Und dann springen die rein. Einer hat eine Handgranate und die anderen Maschinenpistolen. Mehr Leute brauche ich nicht. Die anderen müssen von außen Feuerschutz geben. Und das ist das Komplizierte. Und das mußten wir erst einmal lernen, vor Ort.“

– Hauptmann Gerhard Münch, III Bataillon, Infanterie-Regiment 194, 71. Infanterie-Division

Direct translation: "In order to take a block of buildings, you cant send 10 men to take the entrance. But you need that many men to provide overwatch/surpressive fire and 2 to 3 brave men who jump towards the entrance. And then they jump in. One of them has a hand grenade and the others have SMGs. I dont need more men. The others [the mentioned 10 men overwatch element] must provide overwatch/surpressive fire from the outside of the building. And that is what is so complicated about it. And we had to learn this by doing, during the battle."

*https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angriff_auf_Stalingrad

One of the challenges of CM2 is that one often cannot quite get the optimal combination of teams using the split command for this sort of assault. But, yes the principle is good.

Others have been asking for a specific "BUILDING ASSAULT" command that would make this work better.

I can't say I have ever seen it actually injure, but it definitely suppresses. Any infantry exposed is usually easy pickings for the assault team.

I just had a small team do this, when they entered the structure, one guy resisted and they shot him, the others surrendered.

In my experience the building itself has a lot to do with whether or not an infantry assault will be successful. Some buildings offer good protection some don't. If it is a strong building and offers good protection then your covering fire doesn't do much good , unless its tank or artillery fire of course. The problem is , how do you tell before you assault it?

I always used this approach http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=82927

Works pretty good.

+1 to that. That thread is where I learned to do it. If there is no HE available use whatever is available.

The other piece of advice that has proven fruitful is do not rush. Just because you can set way points to go from building to building all the way down the street does not mean you should :) Clear one or two buildings at a time. That way no one gets ahead of the supporting units and ends up facing the enemy on their own.