What to do with broken units

I am mid battle and have way too many broken units. Unfortunately, a frontal assault failed, and now I have limited units with any real stamina. I am using broken units as scouts (they run right away, but it works), and keeping an eye on my flanks and rear. Can you think of any other uses for them?

Can you think of any other uses for them?

You can use them for mine clearence. If you have a 3-4 squads of broken infantry, that is enough to trigger all the mines in a mined action spot if you let them run through. But make sure they dont bunch up too much, otherwise they will 'smell' whats their fate and panic before they finished their job. Afaik seeing friendlies die decreases a units moral in CM. When the minefield is cleared you can let more useful units pick up the ammo from the bodys, so nothing of value is lost.

You can use them for mine clearence. If you have a 3-4 squads of broken infantry, that is enough to trigger all the mines in a mined action spot if you let them run through. But make sure they dont bunch up too much, otherwise they will 'smell' whats their fate and panic before they finished their job. Afaik seeing friendlies die decreases a units moral in CM. When the minefield is cleared you can let more useful units pick up the ammo from the bodys, so nothing of value is lost.

I think you just won the Cold Hearted Cynic of the Year Award.

:D

Michael

I...that...jesus....

You are ready for the East front, comrade.

I think you just won the Cold Hearted Cynic of the Year Award.

Now that I think of it, I believe the award should be upgraded to Creepy Cold Hearted Cynic of the Year.

(BTW, do you have trouble getting invited to parties? Do people that you know pretend that they don't see you on the street or in the market?)

Michael

Now that I think of it, I believe the award should be upgraded to Creepy Cold Hearted Cynic of the Year.

Michael

Ha, i think i can even top my previous statement in terms of creepyness :D. Currently i am working on a fictional scenario dedicated to be used with the CMSF Euroscape mod about bitter fighting between Russia and the US, taking place in the city i live in. I am also having a campaign in mind, lets see if i find enough time and will to do that.

EDIT: I know it is completely of topic, but here are some screenshots of the first map:

http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/7780/55772845.png

http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/1821/27583079.png

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/1646/73855454.png

and a picture of gooflemaps showing the location:

http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/9946/gmapsu.png

Always wanted to call in a 155mm artillery barrage on my highschool, now i can!

*rofl* I like this forum!

I always thought our southern neighbours were a little strange but never knew why.

Now I know. ;)

Nice idea BTW! I always wanted to write a fictional story of Russian and NATO Forces clashing in a WWIII-setting in the mid 80's - total mayhem of course. Place of action - my hometown. :D

Cheers

Olf

Arguably, you ought not be able to do anything at all with them.

There's no argument possible. By definition, in the context of the game, "Broken" troops will accept at least some orders.

Being able to rope in broken units and crew from KO'ed vehicles etc. and use them in a meaningful way should, IMO, be almost impossible.

In the face of the enemy it is. Bullets just have to come near them to Panic or Shake them again. They'll often agree to fire their weapons, sure, but as soon as there's any return fire, they'll stop. Any fire in their general vicinity, and they'll forget any movement orders you've given them.

It does tend to lead to gamey behaviour, particulary in occupying victory locations.

If a VL is cleared of enemy, it's a pure game-mechanic that requires a stay-behind unit. So using an element that can't be employed for anything that involves fighting is a perfect match for the requirement, in context. If it were real life, and your unit had a series of objectives to sieze, where taking more distant objectives inherently provided security for the nearer objectives (or where providing security for the held location is better done from off the location) you wouldn't leave combat effectives, or possibly anyone to provide "rear area security".

If you're still clearing the VL, then how does a couple of broken half-teams make it significantly more difficult? They'll probably kill one of your bush-beaters before either going white flag or getting shot themselves; the criteria for "occupy" are quite clear, and you're going to have to investigate every nook and cranny for combat-effecitves anyway.

Never thought to check this out and I don't recall ever trying this but, what happens if you combine a broken/shaken team with a team that is still good condition?

When you combine a tired team with one that is in good condition, the resulting squad is also tired. Probably it is the same with unit moral. The weakest part of the chain determines its overall strengh. On the other hand, larger squads can take more of a beating than teams before breaking and regain moral faster if they are not broken yet.

I just used some to move into an uncharted forest. They found some enemy, fired, and the enemy ran off!

When Broken troops meet Broken troops, the first ones to spot and fire will re-panic the ones that they shoot at. I'm obviously assuming the troops they found were Broken, since troops in good morale state wouldn't have run off immediately, as it appears they did from your description of the situation.