visual bug? the gap

I've gotta say that I've never noticed gaps like that on any maps I've viewed. I can only see the designer added bocage gaps. Perhaps it's a video card thing or perhaps it shows up on the lower graphics levels? I always play on best, but sometimes bocage does look funny on maps if I try something less than balanced.

Both the pics supplied by Mr. 666 look really strange to me, especially the bocage on cobblestones. But more to the point, on my setup, the hedgerows always seem to be on low continuous mounds of earth. Where there is a genuine break in the hedge, there is also a break in the mound. I look for that at the 1 level and know I've got the real thing.

Michael

Both the pics supplied by Mr. 666 look really strange to me, especially the bocage on cobblestones. But more to the point, on my setup, the hedgerows always seem to be on low continuous mounds of earth.

Look again: the bocage on the cobbles clearly IS on a low mound (with no break in the mound at the 'gap').

Is does look weird though. And I, also, haven't seen these false gaps before :confused:

Is does look weird though. And I, also, haven't seen these false gaps before :confused:

Weird. I see them all the time. Could this somehow be related to Mac vs. PC, and/or particular to a certain graphics card?

But at any rate, you are correct that you can also tell the false gaps from the real one because with the real ones there is also a notch in the low mound the bocage sits upon, and this does not exist with the false gaps.

I have seen these false gaps again and again and despite my length of playing the game they still get to fool (and annoy the hell out of) me. I am playing Keep Calm at the moment as British and these have fooled me twice now.

It would be nice to get it fixed. (Mind you it would also be nice if the game reverted to the old way it handled Bocage rather than making it impassable except via the gaps placed by designers. see numerous heated threads on this!!!)

This has been mentioned previously and in a competition game it really screws the game if you get this wrong, not that I play competition any more.

So maybe it is a graphic card issue? Especially if others do not get to see them? I can post some screen shots of the CW Keep Calm and Carry On scenario and those that don't get to see them can perhaps load it up and do comparison shots?

Weird. I see them all the time. Could this somehow be related to Mac vs. PC, and/or particular to a certain graphics card?

But at any rate, you are correct that you can also tell the false gaps from the real one because with the real ones there is also a notch in the low mound the bocage sits upon, and this does not exist with the false gaps.

I will have to pay close attention to these low notches.

do not get to see them? I can post some screen shots of the CW Keep Calm and Carry On scenario and those that don't get to see them can perhaps load it up and do comparison shots?

Yes, please post a screen showing an example of a specific location where you see a false gap.

Ok I have taken some frap shots of the bocage in the CW Keep Calm Scenario and see if you can tell which are real gaps or false ones?

Of course if you do what is suggested here and look real close for the low berm or lack of it that is the only true way to tell.

But you can see why it can be confusing...

This link there is one real gap and one not. Which is which?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/16572454@N06/8465684590/

8465684590_0fd86e776a.jpg

Gap or False Gap 5 by msj_1, on Flickr

The real gap?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/16572454@N06/8465681748/

These others are all false gaps...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/16572454@N06/8465683244/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/16572454@N06/8464581267/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/16572454@N06/8464579589/

8464581267_a5eb3d3d6e.jpg

Gap or False Gap 2 by msj_1, on Flickr

Ahh, and all these years, instead of reading it as "False Gap" I always thought they were talking about the "Falaise Gap". I guess the allies fighting in the bocage had the same issues we're seeing in the game.

:)

Thanks for highlighting a lot of these cases.

Ken

No they just climbed over the hedges!!

;)

But let's not re-start that discussion.

It might be helpful if everyone who sees these gaps can put their system specs here so someone at BFC can check it out. It may not even be a known issue yet. I have an NVIDIA card / windows 7 and I've never seen gaps like that.

Have you loaded the scenario and checked to see if you get the gaps shown in the images I have taken? Would be good to know if it is just my PC playing tricks on me?

Have you loaded the scenario and checked to see if you get the gaps shown in the images I have taken? Would be good to know if it is just my PC playing tricks on me?

Well I don't get any gaps like that. There is probably a subset of graphics cards that this shows up with, but someone from BFC would have to comment on this issue to give us some clarity I think.