V2.0 anything work right? blind, crew graphics, hotkeys, etc

I briefly tested the V2.0 that I bought today. Here's what I find.

Problem 1: A quick evaluation battle. Dawn, clear skies, unbuttoned. My Tiger crew can literally drive within yards of an enemy vehicle and not see it. No damage to the Tiger's systems. It saw NONE outside of 50m. I bailed, checked where a Brit Sherman was, climbed back into the Tiger, and drove to where the gun tube was literally inserted half-way into the turret... and they still couldn't see it. Suddenly, it appears (gun barrel still inside his turret). Both fire. Both tanks explode.

Problem 2: Marder III gunner and driver stand high out of the vehicle with arms extended. I haven't noticed this on the few other vehicles I've seen since V2.0 "upgrade".

Problem 3: it seems the new hotkey commands are non-customizable, which breaks my customized hotkeys. No new hotkey file? Am I missing something? I don't see target armor arc, of course, in my old file. Half of my old keys work, half don't and have been overwritten by 2.0 non-customizable ones.

Problem 4: shaders. Maybe my computer probably can't do it, don't know, but shaders only toggle to "Off".

Problem 5: the overlay. You have to completely exit the game to load a new overlay? Seriously? You can only have one loadable overlay hidden in your Z folder??? There are not enough overlay transparency steps. Honestly though, combined with Google Earth, that feature is REALLY COOL.

Problem 6: The "Auto Road" tool. It automatically makes goofy and non-connected roads using only half of the available tiles. Any transition tiles (from straight to turn, for example), are not coded. It FREQUENTLY cannot figure out what to do, so it just inserts random tiles in between the two points. Unless it's a straight, unconnected road, it's actually faster to do it manually. Oh, and I never use highways in CMBN, but of course the most difficult roads to place... the tool will not do.

Problem 7: tanks drive right through trees, but then drive around trees that weren't there. This never happened before. I only heard about this in multiplayer games, and thought it was fixed for them anyway.

Well, that's all I noticed in the first hour. How do you get a refund???? I am VERY disappointed. Maybe something broke on the install, doesn't seem like it. I certainly hope Battlefront would not turn out something of this horribly low quality. I'm sure I will get roasted alive for complaining, but I hope you understand my frustration!

Problem 1: A quick evaluation battle. Dawn, clear skies, unbuttoned. My Tiger crew can literally drive within yards of an enemy vehicle and not see it. No damage to the Tiger's systems. It saw NONE outside of 50m. I bailed, checked where a Brit Sherman was, climbed back into the Tiger, and drove to where the gun tube was literally inserted half-way into the turret... and they still couldn't see it. Suddenly, it appears (gun barrel still inside his turret). Both fire. Both tanks explode.

Humm not sure what to say. We have all seen surprising spotting things happen but honestly most of the time you get what you expect. Vehicles and squads not moving spot the enemy better. Opened vehicles spot better than buttoned etc. Yes, sometimes odd things like this happen but they are rare.

Problem 2: Marder III gunner and driver stand high out of the vehicle with arms extended. I haven't noticed this on the few other vehicles I've seen since V2.0 "upgrade".

Sounds like a bug - do you have a screen shot and a saved turn. Someone on the testing team will usually be willing to have a look.

Problem 3: it seems the new hotkey commands are non-customizable, which breaks my customized hotkeys. No new hotkey file? Am I missing something? I don't see target armor arc, of course, in my old file. Half of my old keys work, half don't and have been overwritten by 2.0 non-customizable ones.

2.0 has a built in UI for hot key customization. I do not know if it uses the file method any more.

Problem 4: shaders. Maybe my computer probably can't do it, don't know, but shaders only toggle to "Off".

Probably - post in the support forum and they might be able to figure out what's up or what your machine is and is not capable of doing.

Problem 5: the overlay. You have to completely exit the game to load a new overlay? Seriously? You can only have one loadable overlay hidden in your Z folder??? There are not enough overlay transparency steps. Honestly though, combined with Google Earth, that feature is REALLY COOL.

Seriously. I was a bit surprised at first too, but having used it for a while now I can say that it really does not bother me. Not enough transparency steps - now it is my turn: Seriously? How many do you want? :D

Problem 6: The "Auto Road" tool. It automatically makes goofy and non-connected roads using only half of the available tiles. Any transition tiles (from straight to turn, for example), are not coded. It FREQUENTLY cannot figure out what to do, so it just inserts random tiles in between the two points. Unless it's a straight, unconnected road, it's actually faster to do it manually. Oh, and I never use highways in CMBN, but of course the most difficult roads to place... the tool will not do.

Yeah it can do some interesting things. I still like it better than not having it, personally.

Problem 7: tanks drive right through trees, but then drive around trees that weren't there. This never happened before. I only heard about this in multiplayer games, and thought it was fixed for them anyway.

Aaaaaahhhhh, no. They always did. They drive through the edges of each other as they pass. Tanks drive through infantry too. Nothing new here. Somethings are still a bit abstracted.

Well, that's all I noticed in the first hour. How do you get a refund???? I am VERY disappointed. Maybe something broke on the install, doesn't seem like it. I certainly hope Battlefront would not turn out something of this horribly low quality. I'm sure I will get roasted alive for complaining, but I hope you understand my frustration!

It is interesting that you have not run into the real bugs that make 2.0 a bit frustrating. Seems like the stuff you are talking about is not really unique to 2.0 either.

Disclaimer: I was testing, rather than playing, so maybe I was noticing things I had ignored before.

I have played the game extensively (though not to the nutty extend of CM1 that I did). Granted, I only drove the Tiger around in Sherman-land for about 20 mins, but I've NEVER had an unbuttoned, unstressed, undamaged, stationary tank crew not spot another tank sitting on a road broadside 20m ahead. I'm talking like one minute or so, not five seconds. Clear LOS to the ground, so certainly to a vehicle. As soon as the crew bailed out, they got MGed. The remaining dudes got back in, still couldn't see it.

Marder III, have a screenshot, but it's more than 19.5k and I don't feel like uploading to my website. Did it in both the editor and gameplay, buttoned or not.

Key cutomization now internalized? Okay. I'll look. It's still using parts of my custom list though.

What can I say. The transparency went from none to "maybe it's there" to "I think it's there" to "where's my map". Opinion, sure, and that's mine.

Trees, dude, trees. The experience I have always had (but now I second guess myself): The game I played last night (V1.1 or whatever it was) I had my Panther driving through tree tiles and it would actually avoid the trunks that were there and go through the gaps. When the Cromwell VI fired at it, it hit a trunk and exploded. When I started getting plastered, I couldn't back up through the cluster of trunks behind me. There was a complaint (that I think was fixed) that in multiplayer games that the opposite players would have trees show up in different places (the trunks, not the tiles). I remember it being fixed in a patch. I am aware of running over infantry and, at least with a lot of CMSF recently, my partial understanding of which vehicles can drive through which vehicles. I'm not talking about that.

Didn't feel like "playing" long enough to find any "real bugs". Sounds entertaining... (not really). I guess I have to unistall and revert to 1.1.

I agree that spotting is strange and maybe a little broken (infantry vs. tank, tank vs. tank, tank vs. infantry, ect). I brought this up on the inner boards and we hope to look closer at it later on down the road. I think that buttoned tanks see infantry too easy and infantry have too hard a time seeing tanks right in front of them.

I have had too many instances of tanks or troops just not seeing something right in front of them for it to be cast off as stress of combat. Once in awhile is fine but it happens too often. Tunnel vision and auditory exclusion aside, a tiger in front of you at 10 meters in the middle of the road is HARD TO MISS.

Weird on the patch order thing. I think I only had V1.10. I most certainly only did the 2.0 patch today. The only oddity was the install checkboxes (which appears that it should have been a radio button). (paraphrased)

1) install 2.0 for CMBN only

2) install 2.0 for CMBN + commonwealth

With 2 or both checked it was like 2.7GB or something. I unchecked 1. When looking at the .brz files there are ones for CMBN and Commonwealth, so it seems that it must have installed both correctly. I got no errors. The only oddity was during the unpack and megre of the .brz files (done in sn outside folder, not messing with CMBN). When I merged them there were two of a single file: smod_german_m43_officer-sr_uniform.bmp . I just thought that was a bit odd. Doesn't seem relevant though.

Can someone please check their Data folder. Should there be a .brz for V1.11? I only see 1.10. Was I missing a piece? Shouldn't the installed have errored if it couln't handle the version that was installed?

Thanks,

Mike

Weird on the patch order thing. I think I only had V1.10. I most certainly only did the 2.0 patch today. The only oddity was the install checkboxes (which appears that it should have been a radio button). (paraphrased)

With 2 or both checked it was like 2.7GB or something. I unchecked 1. When looking at the .brz files there are ones for CMBN and Commonwealth, so it seems that it must have installed both correctly. I got no errors. The only oddity was during the unpack and megre of the .brz files (done in sn outside folder, not messing with CMBN). When I merged them there were two of a single file: smod_german_m43_officer-sr_uniform.bmp . I just thought that was a bit odd. Doesn't seem relevant though.

Can someone please check their Data folder. Should there be a .brz for V1.11? I only see 1.10. Was I missing a piece? Shouldn't the installed have errored if it couln't handle the version that was installed?

Thanks,

Mike

Yes, you need to download the 1.11 patch. Once you've done that then you will need to reinstall the 2.0 upgrade over that. CW only brings the game to 1.10. There should be a 2.01 patch out soon too, so you will probably want to download that when it comes out.

Mike

Mike:

I think a lot of your issues are due to an improper install- not that the above makes it any easier mind you... (meant to mention it to BF)

I noticed this same "checkbox" confusion a couple days ago when I got my CW and 2.0 downloads. Here is what I did for a complete installation (as I only had Fortress Italy installed at the time).

Items needed:

a) CMBN disk or DL

B) CMBN patch v1.1

c) CW disk or DL

d) CM v2.0 disk or DL

1) Install CMBN from disk or download; start and verify OK

2) Install CW from disk or download; start and verify OK

3) Install CMBN patch v1.1; start and verify version

4) Install CM v2.0; You HAVE to check both boxes to get the proper install from what I can figure out. Again, start and verify version.

Mine works just fine- no issues with the odd stuff you mentioned, not including spotting and other game engine items. To me those are a separate discussion.

The whole checkbox thing is something BF needs to address- there is no guidance on what to do if you are uncertain here. What I mean is this:

YES, I have both CMBN and CW; but both are installed and patched to v1.1. So... do I need both boxes checked? -or just the one? Which one?? It may seem "obvious" to some, but I did a mental double-take when I saw it. But then decided that the filesize for just the first was very unlikely to make all the changes necessary to bring my game up to v2.0, and thankfully, I was right... at least I THINK so. Maybe I didn't need to first one? WHO KNOWS!?

This is needlessly confusing though BF- it needs clarification, particularly for the uninitiated.

Hope this helps Mike.

If you have CMFI (with customized hotkeys), copy that hotkey.txt to CMBN, delete the old one, and it works again.

I downloaded and installed V1.11 then simply reinstalled 2.0. I figured it would work, and thankfully it seems to have. Okay, all back to normal. Spotting seems to work. The Marder crew is back in the vehicle. Spotting is back to normal. Shaders work. Etc.

So it seems the only real problem is a lack of a version checker, and my lack of reading. (The auto - road is stil unusable, in my opinion.)

I found the internal hotkeys file. Appropriately modified.

I'll see if it will let me mod my original post to appropriately reflect what was wrong. Thanks for your help, everyone! I'm glad to see everything working (reasonably).

Can't recall exactly but I found the install check-box a bit confusing too. From memory it says:

Update CMBN

Update CMBN and CW

I checked just the second box as to me it implies that will update both. From memory though I got some kind of error message. Checked BOTH boxes then and it works.

Maybe it would be better worded and more easy to understand if it said

Update CMBN

Also Update CW

I also found the annotated manual interesting????

With the 1.11 PC patch if you have the Commonwealth module then you will want to select BOTH 'Update CMBN' and 'Update Commonwealth Forces Module'.

For the 2.0 CMBN PC Upgrade if you have the Commonwealth module then you will want to select ONLY 'Upgrade CMBN + Commonwealth Forces' (the bottom selection of the two).

Admittedly, in my opinion, the check-boxes weren't the best idea. However this will not change for these two files. I don't know if there will be a different approach with future patches/upgrades.