Lens Flare

Gee I kind of like it. I think it's add to the "you are there" feeling.

YMMV of course.

LOL I have to admit when I saw the thread title I thought, 'great, someone new discovered it and wants to say how realistic that gives a feel to the game' when in fact it's a complaint.

I can see that it might annoy some, but I personally rather like it, for the same reason as Ultradave.

I have always wondered what is the point of lens flare effects. Our eyes don't suffer from lens flare. So that effect is telling us, you are not there, you just look trough a camera, or maybe you have bad quality glasses on...

LOL! I love it. Maybe you could be there but have cataracs?

Anyone whose ever walked down the street in the direction of the low sun sitting on the horizon knows that glare is annoying. Otherwise it wouldn't be glare. Come wintertime & the bulge, the days are going to be short and the sun's going to always be low in the sky. Northern Europe sits at about the same latitude as the Canadian province of Newfoundland.

I have always wondered what is the point of lens flare effects. Our eyes don't suffer from lens flare. So that effect is telling us, you are not there, you just look trough a camera, or maybe you have bad quality glasses on...

Nope. Guess again. The the human eye uses a refractive lens (the cornea), just like most camera lenses. And any image that is gathered through a refractive will exhibit lens flare under the right conditions. If you want proof, just focus on a point close to, but not directly at, a strong light source. You will probably see a "halo" around the light source, as well as possibly "rays" emanating out from the light source. Neither of these types visual artifacts are "real"; they're both caused by lens flare.

Of course, lens flare from glass optics on a camera usually looks a little different than that which is part of our natural vision, and the lens flare in the game certainly more closely resembles a camera lens flare than the lens flare that the human eye is susceptible to. But don't fool yourself into thinking the human eye is some sort of perfect optical device.

I lived in The Netherlands for 7 years. I remember signs on the side on the road warning drivers to wear sunglasses when the sun was low. The visibility was terrible then. I was in command of ships then and spent my time staring at the horizon. Lens flare is real and very annoying. Ball caps were not for fashion but for blocking the sun. The worst time was when I was entering a westerly facing lock in Antwerp and the low sun was directly in line with the lock and also reflecting off the water in the lock. I slapped two pairs of sunglasses on to be able to conn the vessel into the lock.

I don't like it in the game, but it is realistic. Imagine the troops on the ground staring in the direction of a low hanging ball of fire with dust, mist and other crap in the air.

****ty, but realistic.

I think some people are confusing lens flare with sun glare. I like sun glare in games. Lens flare is silly, at best.

Right. Lens flare is an artifact caused by internal reflections and reflections between lens elements. The most dramatic effects are seen in older zoom lenses that may have half a dozen elements or more.

Michael

But don't fool yourself into thinking the human eye is some sort of perfect optical device.

I know... The point is, those effects we usually see in games have nothing to do with human vision. Our eyeballs are quite different from video camera lens. Some games actually render reduced contrast and halos when looking into sun, and that's more realistic. See this video of IL-2 Cliffs of Dover: http://youtu.be/2GzPi8aIIZU?t=3m39s

I don't like it in the game, but it is realistic. Imagine the troops on the ground staring in the direction of a low hanging ball of fire with dust, mist and other crap in the air.

Read above.

I know... The point is, those effects we usually see in games have nothing to do with human vision. Our eyeballs are quite different from video camera lens. Some games actually render reduced contrast and halos when looking into sun, and that's more realistic. See this video of IL-2 Cliffs of Dover: http://youtu.be/2GzPi8aIIZU?t=3m39s

Read above.

Mingan,

Although this particular condition that I am about to define is usually attributed to Michael Enrys, it is also applicable to you in the above statements.

You are correct!

No sarcasm meant or implied. Lens flare is not a good definition or in-game effect for what should be sun glare.

Sun glare is very real, but really I don't think, other than for esthetics, that it has much role in this game from our 'god' view of the battlefield. However, If it in game has effects on the individual LOS, then that is just awesome, and great programming by BF. Just think if a dark valley bottom and the nicely lit up ridge with a low sun. There are very much real world effects on LOS.