v2.0, canister and bocage

I'm susprised there's so little mention of Stuart, canister and bocage fighting with the upgrade. Maybe its because we haven't changed fighting styles to take advantage of it yet. Nobody thinks to purchase Stuart as an infantry support weapon. But apparently German infantry was as frightened of Stuart as of Sherman. The combination of speed, maueverability and the shotgun round earned Stuart respect. One additional thing (not in the game) is many Stuarts mounted a steel deflector plate in front of their bow mg so they could drive over foxholes and shoot straight down into them. Infantry support in a Stuart was almost as up-close-and-personal as using a bayonet.

After much debate it was decided the evidence pointed to Britain shipping is entire stockpile of lend-lease 37mm canister to the Asian theater. A couple socondary citations to that fact, combined with zero anecdotal evidence that it was used in Normandy by the Brits. You'd figure all those combat accounts the Brits would mention blasting the jerries with a shotgun round. :D

I've had canister used in several recent games, and it does indeed tend to demoralize the guys on the receiving end, even though I've yet to see it cause a lot of casualties. The one drawback to using it is that it is a relatively short range weapon, meaning that you have to get within range of handheld AT weapons. Not such a big deal in bocage where you are in any case, but in more open country you have to think more about hiding places for 'Schrecks and the like. In situations like those, you might want to have some WP-firing Shermans around too.

Michael

womble,

The Stuart has a perfectly adequate HE round. It's frag and blast footprint isn't huge, but it is just fine for killing all sorts of annoyances on the battlefield.

It's not as fine for that purpose as 75mm HE, nor, indeed 105mm HE. Unsurprisingly. Nor is it as quick a light armour killer (though the 37mm penetrates well, its behind-armour effects aren't as conclusive as 75mm). You know all this. Why are you saying the 37mm compares well with 75mm?

Why are you saying the 37mm compares well with 75mm?

Where die he say that? I went back and reread the post and couldn't find that statement anywhere. Of course it isn't as powerful as a 75 mm or larger round. But it will take out an MG or mortar and it will kill and suppress infantry. I know that for a fact because I have used it that way.

Michael

Where die he say that? I went back and reread the post and couldn't find that statement anywhere. Of course it isn't as powerful as a 75 mm or larger round. But it will take out an MG or mortar and it will kill and suppress infantry. I know that for a fact because I have used it that way.

Michael

"perfectly adequate" Terribly subjective terms. But inarguably, it's not as "perfectly adequate" as 75mm. Sure it can, eventually, do what you say; so can 20mm autocannon, or another mortar or MG, but not as quickly or as surely as a 75mil will.

I'm susprised there's so little mention of Stuart, canister and bocage fighting with the upgrade. Maybe its because we haven't changed fighting styles to take advantage of it yet. Nobody thinks to purchase Stuart as an infantry support weapon. But apparently German infantry was as frightened of Stuart as of Sherman. The combination of speed, maueverability and the shotgun round earned Stuart respect. One additional thing (not in the game) is many Stuarts mounted a steel deflector plate in front of their bow mg so they could drive over foxholes and shoot straight down into them. Infantry support in a Stuart was almost as up-close-and-personal as using a bayonet.

Even prior to v2.0 stuart's were in my bag of tricks... but the canister shot is quite impressive and a very welcome addition.

Quintus Sertorius,

What you say regarding the Germans' 20mm is true when they're shooting at me, in which case, they eat everything smaller than a tank for breakfast. If I'm shooting from one, even with a Target command in place, I get one, maybe two bursts if I'm lucky. No idea why, but that's how it is. Good luck!

Regards,

John Kettler

Canister is just for U.S. Stuarts and Greyhounds. Great Britain apparently got some 400,000 canister rounds delivered as lend-lease aid but shipped the whole lot to the far east to fight the Japanese. At least according to the sources that could be scrounged.