Map Project: Caen area

Rokko

Hi folks,

for many months I've been sporadically working on a ambitous map project, and I feel like I have reached a state that justifies sharing and it is actually possible that I might finish it ;)

Anyways, I've made a huge map, 3728m x 3200m (though it's going to be higher in the end) depicting the area north of of the Caen-Bayeux highway, where on June 7th a half succesfull offensive of one Grenadier regiment and one tank batallion of the Hitlerjugend division against the Aliied spearheads took place that managed to throw them well back, though not back into the sea as it had been planned. Afterwards, the Allies ceased their attempts to attack Caen head on for about a month, but in July they conquered that area against stiff resistance of the now heavily depleted Hitler Youth division.

On the map there are (as of now) the old Abbaye d' Ardennes where Kurt Meyer and his SS-Panzergrenadier-Regiment 25 had its headquarters and which is infamous for being the site where many Canadian POWs were murdered, the villages Cussy, Authie, Buron, Franqueville and Gruchy. Later, Saint-Contest and Bitot will also be featured.

overview_zps5c258441.jpg

This is an almost complete overview of the map from the SW. The camera angle is too small to capture it entirely.

Note that the map is completely flat at the moment. Elevations will follow later.

The following screenshots show all the settlements from the South:

Gruchy (WIP):

GruchyWIP_zpsbf5f20e4.jpg

Hameau de Saint-Louet:

Hameau_zps53ad590c.jpg

Authie:

Authie_zps27f3499f.jpg

Authie is the largest village on the map and had a very distinctive shape, essentially strechted out along the road between Franqueville and Buron with orchards to both sides.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Franqueville:

Franqueville_zpsa1a9fda2.jpg

Ardennes:

Ardennes_zps580ef531.jpg

Cussy:

Cussy_zpseb1ee3a8.jpg

The village Buron is too unfinished to show, yet. I only have the roads and compound borders there.

Here is a view of how it looks in the editor, note that a large section to the north is not shown, because the highest zoom setting doesn't show more.

topview_zpsca18c096.jpg

And here is my template picture in Google Earth.

Googleearth_zpsff1da2fa.jpg

Although all the roads on my map are straight, I managed to keep the dimensions mostly true to the real world. In some place there are some deviation, though. The largest I think is like 80% too big, but in a place at the periphery, were no engagements happend.

I don't really get how this works but I promise I'll figure it out once I upload it.

I plan on first finishing the map and then uploading it plain without any battle damage, AI plans, units, objectives etc.

I'll also supply an accurate OOB file of the 12th SS PD with it, so anyone who wants to make some huge H2H on it or wants to depict a battle on some smaller part of it may do so.

For example, you want to portray the Canadian assault on Cussy in July 44, you cut the map down, adjust some stuff here and there, add some battle damage, import the units for both sides (I believe there are OOB files for all the Canadian divs in Normandy) and all you really have to worry about are mission objectives and AI plans.

I myself consider making a German campaign about the 7th June offensive, but first things first.

Rokko, Wow! Just awesome in deed. Props to you; this will be a GREAT contribution. So, I was just wondering... do you use desaturated terrain? Because I notice that the computer generated map appears to be under the shadow of a cloud compared to the distant horizon. Or in other words the surrounding border map appears "sun drenched" compared to the map texures you are using. Of course this could simply be the screen shot process or just my perception; at any rate, it doesnt take away from your brilliant work. I eagerly await further developments.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I can't make any screenshots until the weekend, but I have begun fleshing out Buron a little and have added the outline of St. Contest to the far North-East.

Unfortunately, I couldn't place St. Contest the way I wanted it due to the way the map is made up to that point, probably due to small distance mistakes I made to that point (I started in the South and small errors accumulate I guess). Anyways I had to angle St. Contest at 45° which keeps the distance to Buron correct, but also extends too far to the North and unfortunately I have already reached the map size limitations (4000m) which means I can't portray St. Contest completely. Luckily only a small part will be missing.

Great looking map, i'm currently running a team v team operation as a beta test of a system i am perfecting using John Tiller's Panzer Campaigns Normandy44 as the operational layer, this map covers part of the area of operations, so i would be interested in obtaining it, how far off is it from completion ?

Sorry but I can absolutely how long this will take to complete. The general look of the towns is almost finished and so is a good portion of the fields inbetween, but I still have to place a sh*tton of flavour objects, the entire elevations, and a lot of terrain detailing.

I am now mostly done with detailing the Abbey and also Buron is pretty much done in terms of building and orchard placement. I had to redo like a third of though because I was unhappy with it but now it looks pretty damn close to my reference pictures.

From the South-West:

buron1_zps88bb1762.jpg

From the North-East:

buron3_zps631353f2.jpg

A close-up:

buron2_zpsad61fbd9.jpg

And here the original as of 1944 (that would be a view from the East):

buronaerial1_zpse63201ca.jpg

Thank you!

Do you know precisely how Flavour objects affect performance? I was somewhat under the impression they didn't matter much.

But I think I will refrain from placing further flavour objects until everythin else is finished. That way I can make a lite version with next to none flavour objects easily.

I have begun putting elevations in. The differences are not steep at all. Something like 30m from lowest to heighest. Still, any elevations make a map really come to life. So far only the general contour lines are roughly implemented but I can already note very gentle rises in the terrain. Also the Abbaye Ardennes is now what I should be: An optimal artillery observation post!

Perfect for directing artillery into Authie:

CMNormandy2013-01-1512-16-27-79_zpsb3bfffa8.jpg

...and into Buron as well:

CMNormandy2013-01-1512-11-44-00_zpsf96cb93c.jpg

It is of course not like an all-seeing eye, you can mostly only see rooftops from there, but that is enough for calling artillery strikes.

The Abbaye served as HQ for Meyer's (later Millius') 25th Regiment and as major military hospital.