I bought Civ I in 1991 and I have to pay for Civ V? Why?

Seriously. I mean, Civ II was just an update fixing all the problems with gameplay and graphics in Civ I. $60 for it? Do you know how much work I put into my Aztecs? Gone with the update that I had to pay for.

This is outrageous!

Every new update WIPES out my progress! AND I have to pay full-up, new-game, prices for it. Now, since Civ IV, they've stopped including the whole world! I have to buy separate games for Colonization, Revolution, Warlords, Rome, Beyond the Sword, and the list goes on!

That's almost $1,000 invested in a game the developers just didn't bother getting right the first time! No doubt the influx of cash made them forget their goals. I'm not saying Sid Meier is lazy or greedy, but Civ I certainly wasn't released in a ready state.

Currently my gaming buddies and I are playing tiddly-winks. It is just as nerve-wracking and rewards strategy just as well, but with more real-life fidelity.

I'll go back to Civ when the Civ VI patch is released for free.

Ken

I know...I bought a banana last week and then I go in the grocery store yesterday, and they have other bananas...same color, shape and everything...AND expect me to pay for them! WTF!!! They didn't even patch them...let alone upgrade them!

Chiquita is the root of all that is evil...well, them and BFC.

Mord.

Seriously my daft mum did that last year and took a a half-finished punnet of peaches back to the shop where she bought them two weeks previously and demanded from the manager that he should give her a new punnet.

Not surprisingly they banned her from shopping there again...

Civ 2 was well worth the $60.

Civ 1 came out 1991

Civ 2 came out 1996

Civ 2 added the isometric view instead of top down, probably equivalent now to moving from 2D to 3D

And Civ 2 gave you the greatest invention in gaming - the witty advisor - "Build more troops - so they may sheath their swords in the beating hearts of the enemy" or some such, plus ELVIS - "No complaints,.... King"

Heh... I just watched a repeat Psych episode (kick arse TV show) where Shawn showed up in a new suit. Gus said something like "hey, I didn't know you had a good suit". Shawn said something witty about having class and style. Gus then saw there was a tag under the lapel. He then said "Hey, you still have the tag on it" and started to tug at it. At which point Shawn flipped out and said the tag must stay on so he could return it. Class and style indeed :D

The argument from customers that the product they voluntarily purchased should have had the features of some other product that wasn't even available at the time, is a long standing one. Whether it's consumer electronics, automobiles, computers, software, etc. it's always the same flawed logic of entitlement. A purchase transaction is between what is offered and what is purchased, not what is possibly offered sometime in the future.

Consumers have a choice of when to purchase. If one wants to wait for the "best" of something, with no upgrade or replacement expenses, the only time to do that is when it has been discontinued. Buy the last one made and live happily ever after knowing that what you have will never get better.

And yes, people should spot the irony in that advice :D

Steve

That reminds me of the time I was in a Banana Republic and some woman was trying to return a ten year old piece of clothing. This went on for about fifteen minutes before she finally stormed out of the store yelling every insult she could think of.

ETA to clarify: Banana Republic THE CLOTHING STORE, not some country. ;)

Funny, I've been to almost every 3rd world country out there, and when you said that you were in "a Banana Republic" I flashed to a lot of my experiences. I couldn't imagine the exchange happening quite the way you described. THEN I grokked the retail store reference. D'OH!

c3k,

What a staggering outlay! Good thing you didn't take that hit all at once. How dare Sid not give you lifetime Civ upgrades!

Mord,

Well, we did fight wars on behalf of United Fruit Company. Smedley Butler has some things to say about them, since he helped fight them. See his monograph "War Is A Racket" for his thoughts on the subject.

Normal Dude,

She should've bought from L. L. Bean, home of the ironclad guarantee. I miss the Banana Republic of yore, which had the coolest catalog and remarkable surplus. I still have the peacoat wool French shore patrol hooded cloak I got from them and used to have a heavy wool trenchcoat from the same store and country.

DLaurier,

Try a toy store, in the mall, right before Christmas! "I'm sorry, ma'am. We don't have the (insert highly desired, must have toy). We sold our last one in the summer and haven't been able to get any more since. Sorry!. No, I don't know where you could get one, seeing as how it's Christmas Eve."

Wicky,

I thought I was pretty good on CW speak, but "punnet" sent me off to Google. Here in the States, we call a punnet a strawberry basket and the whole collection of those a flat, since they stack.

Regards,

John Kettler