Hiding Vehicles - What's the point?

The purpose of hiding vehicle has always been a mystery to me.

However one advantage would be, if the engine noise would stop when hiding. At least I would see some advantage of doing so.

That does not seem to happen at this moment in time.

Bug or omission?

Steven

It's fairly irrelevant if burning vehicles produce noise since they also produce a huge smoke plume visible from everywhere.

Well, for realism purposes noise should be part of it as well(as of course the smoke plumes).

Anyway, my point is more to the hiding command. If I want to hide a vehicle, I would realistically cut the engine to avoid noise.

Steven

My Grandpa was a tanker. He told me they never turned off the engine in-case it wouldn't start again. That's why it is this way, for sure.

;)

Oh, it might be a little hard to turn the turret, too, without the hydraulics...

GaJ

Exactly. Unless this vehicle is a pillbox, you'd kill the engine at your peril.

But the OP raises a good question: does HIDE for vehicles give it any practical benefit other than it (maybe) not opening fire? I continue to plead for an abstract "% Concealment" slider spotting benefit analogous to the CMSF Pop Density benefit for Uncons; the simplest hack would be for it to apply to Hidden units.

For what it's worth, page 87 of the CMBN manual:

Hide

Vehicles - vehicles will hold fire and not move, trying to keep a low noise profile. Hiding vehicles that are struck by a projectile, or that spot an enemy vehicle targeting them will automatically un-hide.

So apparently hiding vehicles should make less noise, but it doesn't say they will make no noise at all. No idea if this is working.

It also seems to function as a sort of soft covered arc. But I wonder if hiding vehicles have reduced spotting like hiding infantry. They shouldn't.

If its anything like CM1 then hiding vehicles will lose some spotting capability because the crew aren't stood on the roof fighting over the binoculars but instead going off for a pee or brewing tea. If you turn the graphics quality right up, you even see a little steam coming out the British window when the kettle boils......

Not sure about that. I think some were hand-cranked and some had small auxiliary engines they could switch to. But if you're hiding you probably wouldn't want to be moving your turret around much anyway.

Sure you could hand-crank a turret. I got told a story of a PIAT team running round a Tiger to get far enough ahead of the turret traverse to get off a shot. That's a slow rotation. And it still doesn't mean the engine will start at first press of the button.

Hiya Womble. I never said anything about tank engines starting at the simple press of a button, merely pointing out that some tanks had separate auxiliary power to the turret traverse, and others could be hand-cranked (in fact, I think some crappy turrets HAD to be hand-cranked or they wouldn't move at all, engine on or off!). So you could move the turret without the engine running - just as well, by the looks of GaJ's video!

Sigh. For the record, the inertial starter was, IMHO, a pretty damn good idea. Have you ever seen what cold weather does to the amperage of a battery? Check under your hood. If you've got a lead acid battery, it _should_ have two ratings, CCA and CA. CCA is Cold Cranking Amps; starting amps at 0 degrees Fahrenheit. CA is Cranking Amps; starting amps at 32F. See the drop? It's not linear. It gets WAY worse as the battery temp drops below 0. Did the Germans ever fight in a cold environment? Somewhere that rhymes with "Russia"?

The hand-cranked inertia starter would be used if the battery couldn't turn the engine. (They also had a built in engine heating system for a cold engine. As well, easy oil drain to drain the warm engine, bring it into the nightly hut and keep on the stove to be put into the engine in the morning, AND a coolant transfer system from one tank to another, so the running, warm, tank could warm up the cold un-running tank's engine and coolant system.)

That's a pretty good piece of (over)engineering.

Sigh.

Why Sigh?

I mean - no-one is criticising the intertial starter. It's fantastic. It's what they put on tanks because they didn't want to be pressing the starter button and hearing a clunk.

Its just not the sort of thing you plan to do as a part of "springing into action after hiding", which was the original premise of this thread.

(oh ... and a video of it in action does lend itself to cracking a few jokes about it, all in good fun ;) )

GaJ