Where is everyone from?

Guest KwazyDog

"But it has a population density less than that of Australia."

Damn, how do you find each other, hehe. It must be very sparsely populated indeed. Peaceful I imagine though smile.gif

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Larry,

I worked for RPS at their hub in South Windsor. I actually lived on Prospect St in East Hartford, right behind Corky's restaurant -- best damned pizza on the planet!!

Know Farmington well, still have friends there and in Avon (Secret Lake Rd) and Simsbury. My wife graduated from Storrs and worked in Avon for 2 years while in school -- talk about a long commute. From East Hartford to Storrs in the morning, classes all day, then to Avon, work until 10 pm and then back to East Hartford. All this while taking 19 credit hours, getting a 4.0 her senior year and graduating Phi Beta Kappa. I still marvel at that today.

I was tenor soloist at Immanuel Church on the corner of Farmington and Woodland (across from the Mark Twain House). If you like good music, check out the Woodland Concert Series that Larry puts on at Immanuel. I also did several Operas at the Bushnell with ConnOp.

Left Connecticut when I got transferred to RPS corporate in Pittsburgh. We liked Connecticut okay, but Pittsburgh is the best place we have ever lived by far.

Funny you mention the Whalers. Right after I moved to Pittsburgh, the blockbuster trade (Ronnie and Ulfie for Zalapski and some other change) took place. People in Pittsburgh were groaning (this was right after Johnston took Ronnie's captaincy away -- idiot). I told them all that they should quit whining because Ronnie and Ulfie were going to be the best thing that ever happened for the Penguins. Sure enough, two cups followed.

Then I move to NC and within 2 yrs the Whalers move here and Ronnie comes down to join them!! I was ecstatic. He has been my favorite player for a long time. The most underrated center in the history of the game. But I think he will get his due in the Hall of Fame.

Looking back on the old Whalers, I cannot see how they failed to win more. Francis, Samuelsson, Verbeek, Dineen, Burt, Ferraro, Kron, Sanderson. I mean give me a break. Sidorkiewicz was a liability in goal, but the rest was rock solid.

Anyway, this is probably much more than you were interested in hearing. But you know how the mind gets in reminiscing mode. smile.gif

Pixman

P.S. Go Whalers!! -- uh Hurricanes!!

------------------

The enchanter may confuse the outcome, but the effort remains sublime.

Living in Boise now, but I spent most of my life in northeast Kansas.

Ithai--Small world! Not too many people reading this board have likely heard of Bolivar. My brother, sister-in-law, and two nephews live there. My brother and sister-in-law are former basketball players at Southwest Baptist. My sister-in-law is from Bolivar originally, as well.

Lokesa--This isn't nearly as remarkable a coincidence, but my sister, brother-in-law, niece and nephew live in San Diego.

MERC--Go Shockers! I lived in Wichita from 8/96-8/98. My wife earned her masters at WSU. If you like small greasy burger places for lunch, I can recommend many, many holes-in-the-wall in Wichita. My personal favorite is Tak-hom-a Burger by Lawrence Dumont. You'll love the ambience including the metal trash can by the cash register filled with fresh potato peelings, as well as the hole in the ceiling tile. My second favorite is M-R Fatburger on South Seneca (not to be confused with the newer Fatburger on Hillside). Order their large fry just for fun one time. You have never in your life received so many fries with a single order. The portion makes McDonald's SuperSize look plain silly.

------------------

Zackary

[This message has been edited by Zackary (edited 09-28-99).]

Pix, I was a season ticket holder for the Whale during the 85-86 season when I was at Trinity College. After law school (don't hold that against me), I was a season ticket holder from 1991 until they left. I have actually played on the Civic Center ice twice. What a sauna. I had season tickets to the AHL team in Hartford for the first two seasons, but it isn't the same. I am jealous. You always move to a place with an NHL team. By the way, you are right the Trade killed the franchise.

I worked at State House Square for about 6 years, and now I work for a firm across from Batterson Park in Farmington. My wife and I like it here. It isn't bad. I heard that Pittsburgh is a great place to live.

Larry

Marko,

Good to see a fellow OSU alum here. What years were you a pris...er, student?

By the way, if you happen on a copy of this months issue of Playboy, the centerfold girl is from Corvallis. Some shots of campus in there. Might bring back some memories. And for the rest of you, all the girls in Corvallis look like the one in the magazine.

Yeah, sure they do Rex. wink.gif I get every issue. I must say that this year's pictorial of the girls of the PAC 10 is not as good as previous college "spreads". But OSU seems to have some real eager Beavers. BTW, are they ever going to win a football game?

Zack, you're back!! We still need to finish at Gaines Mill. Email me.

Larry, I don't hold being a lawyer against you. I didn't finish my wife's saga -- she went on to study law at PITT and now practices down here in Wilmington, lol!!

Been to the Civic Center a couple of times to see my Orangemen beat up on the Huskies (back when they could). Yeah, it was hot in there.

------------------

The enchanter may confuse the outcome, but the effort remains sublime.

Pixman,

The Beavs are 3-0 so far this year. Dennis Erickson, former coach of the Seahawks, is the new head coach. Everyone in town is hoping for a winning season. The first since 1970, I believe.

By the way, you're right about this years 'Girls of the Pac-10'. I remember pictorials like this being 20-30 pages when I was younger...

I was a USAF dependent for twenty-odd years, so we moved about every few years. The places I remember were Oklahoma City, OK (Tinker AFB), Washington, DC (Andrews AFB), London, England (Bushy Park AFB), and Colorado Springs, CO (Ent AFB). I went through high school in the Springs and then attended Carnegie Institute of Technology (now Carnegie Mellon University) in Pittsburgh, PA. Carnegie Tech had an Army ROTC program leading to a commission in either the Signal Corps or the Corps of Engineers, which was my choice. [Hence my handle: 1331 is a Combat Engineer Troop Leader. The 7 prefix signifies airborne qualified -- 5 jumps from an airplane in fright, or should I have said "flight?"

My two years on active duty took me to Fort Belvoir, VA, for Engineer school, Fort Benning, GA, for Airborne school, the 2d Engr Bn of the 2d Inf Div where I was a platoon leader, a property book officer, and an assistant ops officer, and finally back to Fort Belvoir for my last six months in the procurement directorate.

When I left the army in 1968 I went to work for Univac as a computer programmer on the Safeguard ABM program under contract to Bell Labs in Whippany, NJ. After 18 months there I was assigned to the test site on the Kwajalein Atoll. Of the next thirty years, I spent twelve there.

Kwajalein was a German colony in the latter 19th century, and it was involved in both world wars. The small German fleet under Graf Spee which fought at Koronel and the Falkland Islands sailed from Kwaj at the beginning of WWI. The Japanese took all the German colonies in the Pacific during WWI, so in Jan 1944, we took the Kwajalein Atoll from the Japanese with the marines landing on Roi-Namur and the army's 7th Inf Div landing on Kwajalein Island. After the war, Kwaj supported the A and H bomb tests in the Pacific. The German heavy cruiser Prinz Eugen was one of the target ships at Bikini Atoll. After the test, the ship was towed to the Kwajalein lagoon, and it capsized during a storm. For many years it was a favorite wreck for the scuba club, but the army (which runs the missile range) placed it off limits after two bell employees drowned while exploring it. I remember many club members in the early 70s having souvenir crockery and cutlery with swastika markings taken from the Eugen.

I alternated tours on Kwaj with defense software development in Denver and now in Colorado Springs. My wife and kids went to Kwaj with me in 1989 and they hated it out there. I doubt I'll ever go back.

------------------

Airborne Combat Engineer Troop Leader (1966-1968)

Hi everyone,

Long-time lurker, first-time poster.

Originally from Webster Massachusetts, went to school at the University of Lowell, and now reside in lovely Springfield, Virginia - just outside Washington DC.

Thanks to everyone on the board for providing lots of education and entertainment over many months!

Amen, amen to that. Battlefront has become an intrical part of my life...crumb I spend more time here than in real social circles...(Crowd goes Awwwwwwwwwww)However I do find the 'conversations' here to be a lot more rich in thought and wit than most other social circles.

Feel like I know everyone of you guys!

------------------

Sgt. Rock Says " War is Hell, but games are fun "

Rex,

I attended grad school at OSU in '94-'95. The women were beautiful it goes without saying. While the football team struggled we had a very good women's soccer team. I was their number one fan. Did I mention that the women were beautiful? smile.gif

Marko;

I've been lurking on these message boards for some time now and figured its about time to say hi... And that I am very much looking forward to the release of Combat Mission...

I'm from Ashburn, Virginia (Loudoun County)Lived here all my life except the 9 years I spent in the service... smile.gif

------------------

Those who forget our history, are doomed to repeat it.