Icon Colors and Voices

As far as voices go...it's only the Canadians who share the US voice files. Brits and Poles have their own. The Canadians can be modded though (as they have their own naming convention). But I can't do it 'cause I don't do funny foreign accents.

Mord.

Need to add in a few "oat" and "aboat" phrases...

Here's the real problem... how do you tell Australians from New Zealanders?

(Even my own Kiwi pal couldn't explain it clearly to me.)

Get your Kiwi pal to say "six" or "this" (or anything that sounds similar) then when you hear Aussies say the same word, you will notice the difference. It's almost as if the letter I is replaced by U with certain words.

The other infamous phrase is "fish and chips" (fush n chups).

Kanonier Reichmann's method is equally accurate.

All the Canadians I've met sound American.

Seems true to me too (that is, except for French Canadians, who are a law unto themselves). But it wasn't always that way. As recently as three decades ago I met an older Canadian woman who still pronounced 'about' as 'aboot' and other ou combinations as oo. I think this came through the Scottish immigrants of the previous centuries.

I think ubiquitous television has had a leveling effect on all accents. For instance, the accent of Southerners is not so pronounced as it was, say, fifty years ago.

Michael

Strange as we never hear "aboot" in my neck of the country. In fact, we are thought to have no perceptible accent and as such, are recruited by Asian schools more than any other regional due to that flatness.

I do love a good British accent though. Something about it that just makes everything sound more sophisticated. My sister lives in Missouri and that I have trouble understanding, though Newfies (people from Newfoundland and Labrador) could give them a run for their money.

I am hoping though that the next CW module for CMFI will have some real Canadianisms in it.

Bunny Hug = Hoodie

Vico = Chocolate milk

Makes sense. All the Canadians I've met sound American.

Oddly though, they always seemed to be irked when I mentioned that. Dunno why ;)

OF course we sound like Yanks. After all most (of the English Speaking) initially came from America. We just kept the faith as Loyalists. After the "rebellion" of 1776 you kicked us out and seize all our lands and property.

We both butchered the English language just us a little less so haha.